Just got my foam roller - OUCH!!

Just wanted to thank the original poster for starting this thread. It motivated me to go out and get a foam roller over the weekend. I've had problems with neck/shoulder tension for years (too much time working at the computer). I've had an annoying knot in my lower back for about a week, and wasn't sure how to treat it on my own (i.e. without getting a massage therapist loosen it up). Well, the foam roller is just what I needed. I also tried several self myofascial release techniques for my neck and shoulders, which have been great. This morning after my HIIT workout, I spent about 15 mins doing the foam rolling, and it was great!

So, thanks for giving me the gentle nudge to get off my butt and start incorporating rolling into my regular routine. I'm confident that I'll keep this up and do a little bit most days. I've known about foam rolling for years, but just never adopted into my own personal practice/routine.

I got mine yesterday..I never realized how tight my legs were until I used the foam roller. I just thought I had continuous DOMS from all of Cathe's workouts. WOW, that IT band release exercise is brutal! This is the first day in years that my knees, calves and arches don't ache and I feel it is because I released so much tension in my IT band, calves and quads.

Thank you, Thank you, Thanks You for posting about the foam roller. I never would have known about it otherwise. This piece of equipment has truly changed my life.

I just bought a PB Elite from Amazon due to this thread :D. I have had a sore hip on and off for months and I am pretty sure it is the tendon as it gets more tender after hiking, etc. I can't wait to see if this helps. Also, my lower back could certainly use the massage. From all I have read, these rollers are suppose to be fantastic for keeping a person limber and pain free.

Wow! Glad I inspired others to join me in the torture! My DH hates it when I use it around him because I make so much (unpleasant) noise :)

If you travel, you might check out the Grid Roller. I bought mine after becoming addicted to regular foam rolling. The Grid is hollow, and usually I pack it with my workout clothing inside. It fits in my carryon bag and is quite light. I actually prefer how it feels compared with my regular black foam roller - the projections really help work out the knots. However, it's narrow and so you can't work both lets at once so it takes longer.

http://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1298749220&sr=1-1

There's also something called a 'rumble roller', which has projections too - I haven't tried that. It comes in wide sizes, which would be more efficient, but I'm considering whether the price tag is worth it ... Anyone here tried one?

http://www.amazon.com/RumbleRoller-...FAUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298748894&sr=8-2

After years of thinking my problem with touching my toes and doing proper side kicks was from innate lack of flexibility, and trying to fix it with all manner of exercises and warmups, a few days of foam rolling solved the problem. Even fitness instructors never suggested this! It stops hurting if you use it daily, at least it did for me.

Last edited:
Still not sold on this, it's not alone there though, as far products & their supposed benefits. I just kind of think if you're experiencing pain, tightness soreness, or any other number of ailments, reactions, it is because there is something inherently wrong with what you are doing or how you are doing it.

I look at it like aspirin. You have a headache, take an aspirin. Or figure out why you have a headache, like you are dehydrated, then fix the cause of that problem, drink more water.

I just think the more you learn about you and what you are doing, the more control you have over how you feel & what you do & don't need. It requires time & sometimes more patience than you have, plus you may not find the answers to everything, but so worth the effort, so worth it.

As far as the foam roller goes, pain? after that more pain, uh, no.

Well... after my surgery a year ago my PT applied intense painful massage to release tissue/scar/muscle build-up. I questioned whether he should be doing this - going right for where it hurt. He assured me it was, and the results confirmed it. I started having hip/back pain yesterday evening and spent time on my roller. I slept great and had much releae. I don't "buy" in to products claims, but my PT and chiropractor really believe in this. I am biomechanically imperfect - overpronate, scoliosis, legs are different lengths and I've had 3 kids so I struggle with hip/lower back/pelvic strength. I run about 20 miles/week and strenth train at least 2. Being a stay-at-home mom of 3 kids with a husband who lives out of state I'm as in touch with myself as I can be. And I love my foam roller.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.