Joint problems

healthnut

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-02 AT 00:53AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi all. I'm an avid exerciser--cardio (ie: kickbox, step, hi/lo, or run) 6 days/wk and weight train about 2-3 times a week--but often have to push myself through some workouts despite pain in the joints. I frequently ice painful areas after workouts & sometimes wear compression bandages during workouts to reduce discomfort. It's frustrating to have to stop a workout when I'm not tired or out of breath b/c of a residual pain in either my knees or ankles. So my question is: what kind of supplements might help this? Right now I'm taking MSM & glucosamine & of course, calcium every day. But are there more efficaceous pills out there designed for regular exercisers? Thanks.

Forgot to note: I'm in my twenties so I'm pretty sure this is not related to something like osteoarthritis or osteoporosis.

Hi, healthnut! Which joints ache? I have some trouble with my elbows. I get a burning sensation in the joint which is due to trauma to the elbow from smacking them into things! I think trauma to a joint can aid in the develoment of osteoarthritis. Have you ever damaged your joints? You might want to check with your doctor, particularly if the pain is acute!

Good Luck!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

There are many "joint" OTC remedies out there, the only supplement that I know of that has gotten the nod from the AMA and the FDA for joints/arthritis is the Chondroitin/Glucosomine combination. But, you have to take the right amounts and it usually takes several weeks to feel results. IF you do an internet search there are many articles and studies on this, look for some not sponsored by a product manufacturer. You are pretty young to be having joint pain that interferes with physical activity. You might be overtraining, wearing shoes that don't have enought support/shock absorption, and/or perhaps genetically you have a deficiency of the lubicating fluid that is present around the joints. I would definitely ask about it at your next check up. If your insurance lets you go to a sports medicine doc, that is the optimum.
In the meanwhile, I would suggest (IMHO) taking ibuprofin or naproxen sodium (aleve) about 45 minutes before you work out, and keep up the glucosamine. Consider a glucosamine/chondroitin combo. Buy shock-absorption inserts for your tennies if you don't have them already.

I have had huge pains in my shins lately. I have never jogged. You can't get shin splints from stepping, can you? Yesterday during Body Max, I literally whinced during the knee ups, because I was so afraid to come down and feel the pain in my shins. Of couse I stopped, but would like to do cardio again soon. Any suggestions?

I think that your body is trying to tell you something--you are doing 6 days/week of pretty high impact cardio between the running and step and the kickboxing (all the kicking). You might want to try and substitute a low/non impact workout for at least 2-3 of those 6 workouts--the elliptical is great because it is similar to running without the impact (I am assuming you work out at a gym). If an elliptical is not available to you, try doing some biking or low impact aerobics or swimming.

Even though you are only in your twenties, it is possible to exhibit signs of osteoarthritis if you are doing lots of joint pounding exercise. Also, don't think that you are immune to osteoporosis at your age either (this is sounding rude in tone the way I am writing it but I don't mean it to be :)). Studies have shown some young women with the bones of 60 year old women. Generally, these girls were not consuming an adequate diet and were overexercising. I am not trying to imply anything here I am just stating the facts.

Anyway, I would suggest that you try backing off on the intensity or the frequency of your cardio workouts and give your joints a break. They should respond favorably. I know it can be hard to "cut back" on workouts when you are used to doing so much but if you continue in this manner, things will only get worse and just imagine what your poor joints will feel like by the time you reach your 30's and 40's. I have two clients who abused their bodies with exercise and are now looking at possible knee replacement surgery--not a fun thing! Good luck and please do not read this post as sounding rude or preachy--I certainly do not mean it to come across as such :)

heathnut and jillybean

Healthnut, it's time to start looking for some lower impact activities. In my experience "repetitive use" joint pain gets worse over time. So if you are already having achy joints, think of what you'll be feeling in your older years. Ouch! It really sounds like an overuse problem since it's in both your knees and ankles. If it's only one joint you can work to strengthen it or increase the flexibility, but if all you lower leg joints are achy it's probably overuse. (I'm not a doctor, and it's probably worth a visit to yours to rule out any injury.)

Jillybean, yes you can get shin splits from step (or any impact activity). Shin splints are tiny tears in the muscle on the shinbone. Basically you need to let it rest until it heals. Then gradually strengthen and increase the flexibity.

Thanks all for your advice & suggestions. I've just started taking Osteobiflex Performance which seems to be working pretty well in conjunction with the calcium. I've also been taking your advice & listening more to my body by doing lower impact aerobics or modifying moves. Actually, though, I'm finding that the more I strength train the less pain I feel in my bones.

Beet--no need to worry about sounding preachy. I'd read in a magazine that women in their 20s should get bone density checks & I may decide to do that.

So thanks again everyone for the info & advice.

Healthnut..

while no expert, I am a certified trainer and must agree with both Beets and Kristina. (JB, you CAN get shin splints from step.) You need to insert some lower impact activities--doesn't mean you can never do high impact. Also, I would recommend adding co-enzyme Q-10 30 mg to your supplements of glucosamine/chondroitin. (Q-10 is a precursor to glucosamine>) It has really helped me. Murph

also--agree: get a bone density test, just for fun--or a baseline.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.