JM Body Revolution review

nkhansen1

Cathlete
So, I had a huge post about each phase ready to publish for y'all, and my computer reset, and I lost it all. :(

Now you get the condensed version instead!

Overall, GREAT program. I have done two workouts from each phase, and I can tell you that it is no joke. Each phase consists of five total body workouts: two "front of the body", two "back of the body", and one cardio. Each workout incorporates cardio and abs. Each workout uses weights and resistance bands. Jillian gives suggestions on light, medium or heavy, so you can make your own selection. The training consists of compound, functional, traditional, balance, plyo and isometric moves. Lots of variety. The workouts are truly 30 minutes- there is only a minute of ballistic stretching at the beginning and then a one minute stretch at the end. The other 28 minutes are all work. Jillian moves fast (but not too fast) so there is no rest time between sets or circuits.

Phase 1 starts from absolute zero. Jillian says that phase 1 is to shed those first 20-30 pounds. It's a starting point for those who have never trained before, but it is not what I would call easy, exactly. My perceived exertion was about a 4, and I was doing the plyo and more advanced version of the low impact/no impact moves. Starting from phase 1 would be excellent for those coming back from surgery, recovering from an illness or childbirth, or for those days you are feeling yucky but want to workout anyway.

Phase 2 ramps things up with more impact (tuck jumps and sumo jumps make an appearance) and heavier weights, though still on the lighter side since most moves are compound or functional in nature. Perceived exertion was about a 5-6. I had light DOMS after these. Lots of sweat, but didn't feel like I was going to die.

Phase 3 takes it to a whole 'nother level. Plyo with weights in hand, killer isometric poses, scorpion and jumping plyo-style push-ups, Insanity-inspired cardio bursts, just to name a few things. My perceived exertion was about an 8, and that was using challenging weights with the plyo (although 8s were plenty most of the time!) and really pushing with the cardio.

The meal plan is what you would expect: lots of lean protein, fruits, veggies and whole grains. It also includes a grocery list.

I am impressed with this program because I can see how easily someone who is just starting on their journey to wellness could achieve success with these workouts. They are ramped up in just the right way. For Cathletes like us who may already be in great shape, these would be wonderful add-ons (though phases 2 and 3 are tough), or to have in your arsenal for periods of recovery from surgery, illness or childbirth. These would be awesome for anyone who only has 30 minutes to get a workout in. Jillian is very motivating and tough throughout, and I liked her personality. She's not Cathe, and THAT'S OKAY! She has her own strengths and talents to share!

*For those with little kids running around, some mild language is used fairly regularly. If you don't want your little ones running around saying darn and heck and arse (you know what I mean!), then keep the volume down!*

Last edited:
Natalie,

I was thinking about you and if you got the program and how it was going. That was a wonderful and thorough review! I knew Jillian would kick butt....she always impresses me. Now you've seriously made me want this!!! I know I'm gonna own this program one day.....it's only a matter of time. I am proof that you can do her programs after recovering from childbirth. I did her 30-Day Shred, BFBM, NMTZ and lost serious pounds while starting from zero.

Congrats & good luck!!!

(p.s- keep me updated on this, I would love to hear more reviews. BTW, are you modifying the eating plan Vegan style?)

Natasha

Natalie,

I was thinking about you and if you got the program and how it was going. That was a wonderful and thorough review! I knew Jillian would kick butt....she always impresses me. Now you've seriously made me want this!!! I know I'm gonna own this program one day.....it's only a matter of time. I am proof that you can do her programs after recovering from childbirth. I did her 30-Day Shred, BFBM, NMTZ and lost serious pounds while starting from zero.

Congrats & good luck!!!

(p.s- keep me updated on this, I would love to hear more reviews. BTW, are you modifying the eating plan Vegan style?)

Natasha

Natasha, you will love these! I am already a little sore from today's workout...so many insane pushups! Jillian made a comment about one style, saying that she wasn't sure what part of the dark recesses of her imagination they came from. :eek: She wasn't kidding!

The diet plan vegan-style is similar to what I already eat, so not much modification will be needed. I see quite a few of the recipes are out of her other cookbook, Mastering Your Metabolism, which I have and use a lot. Her recipes are delish, and this meal plan looks MUCH more appetizing than the one that came with P90X or Insanity, but that's just me.

I will add more to my review as I do more of the program!

thx for the review nkhansen...that sounds awesome....and plus every workout we do don't have to kill us and leave us breathless all the time.......so these slightly easier but still challenging enough workouts will be a welcomed change....i'll probably get this one next month or so, b/c i just ordered rks and ultimate yogi....so i'll have to wait a lil bit....so like mini-natty said, keep us updated on what u continue to think about it:)

Thank you for the review! I've been (not so) patiently waiting to hear about it. Now, what to do what to do. ;)

Great review! I want this one and Les Mills, I'll end up with both of them but which one first? Right now I'm in a Chalene Extreme and Weider X-Factor ST rotation.

...Cheryl

thx for the review nkhansen...that sounds awesome....and plus every workout we do don't have to kill us and leave us breathless all the time.......so these slightly easier but still challenging enough workouts will be a welcomed change....

That was my thought exactly while I was doing them! I didn't feel like my lungs were exploding or like I might barf, I just felt sweaty and really worked-out.

Natasha, you will love these! I am already a little sore from today's workout...so many insane pushups! Jillian made a comment about one style, saying that she wasn't sure what part of the dark recesses of her imagination they came from. :eek: She wasn't kidding!

Natalie,

Have you done Shed & Shred? She does this one push-up, hard to explain, you do a push-up on one leg and then cross over backwards and do it again. It's crazy!! I'm sure she put that one in there. Is she doing lots of plank exercises too? She seems to love those. I still can't master the 2min (NO REST) of mountain climbers & plank jacks on Ripped in 30 :eek:

Natalie,

Have you done Shed & Shred? She does this one push-up, hard to explain, you do a push-up on one leg and then cross over backwards and do it again. It's crazy!! I'm sure she put that one in there. Is she doing lots of plank exercises too? She seems to love those. I still can't master the 2min (NO REST) of mountain climbers & plank jacks on Ripped in 30 :eek:

I need to get Shed and Shred. It was offered as an add-on to the program, but I didn't want to spend any more money at the time. Now I wish I had!

Yes, those are the scorpion push ups with the one leg crossed behind...holy.crap. is all I have to say about those! And, yes, lots of planks. She even does the tricep extensions in plank like Cathe, and some plank work I've never done before that totally kicked my booty. The lower body isometric poses from today's phase 3 workout nearly did me in. I was trembling all over, and so were her crew!

Last edited:
wow, now ur really making me wanna get it.....i may not be able to wait till next month.....lol.....we'll c.....thx again nkhansen:)

thx for the review nkhansen...that sounds awesome....and plus every workout we do don't have to kill us and leave us breathless all the time.......so these slightly easier but still challenging enough workouts will be a welcomed change....i'll probably get this one next month or so, b/c i just ordered rks and ultimate yogi....so i'll have to wait a lil bit....so like mini-natty said, keep us updated on what u continue to think about it:)

I love RKS, this is the closest I ever came to finishing a rotation but at workout #11 I tweeked my back - totally unrelated to the program. They are fun and the time flies by!! Enjoy it!!

...Cheryl

FabAbs said:
I love RKS, this is the closest I ever came to finishing a rotation but at workout #11 I tweeked my back - totally unrelated to the program. They are fun and the time flies by!! Enjoy it!!

...Cheryl

What is RKS?

I need to get Shed and Shred. It was offered as an add-on to the program, but I didn't want to spend any more money at the time. Now I wish I had!

Even though I already own all of Jillian's other workouts I also purchased the deluxe add on workouts with my Body Revolution set. They were offered at a good price with the Body Revolution set and I plan to give them as gifts. With the add ons you also get an level 2 Jillian resistance band. The resistance band that comes with the regular workouts is very light resistance.

Even though I consider myself an advanced exerciser, I really like Body Revolution. You accomplish a lot in 30 minutes. As already stated, the Phase one workouts are effective but on the easier side. To make the phase one workouts more advanced I used the plyo options and also combined weights with the pylo. In phase one, I also used heavier weights than any of the crew. For double arm triceps overheads I used 15 lbs, for kickback I used 15lbs and for chest flies I used 25 lbs. Right now I am in the second week of phase one. I also sometimes add on other workouts to my workouts and since the workouts are only 30 minutes, this is very easy to do. I did the phase one chest, triceps shoulder, quads abs workout this morning and burned quite a few calories and did sweat. I am loving the 30 minutes get in and get it done format and Jillian has mellowed quite a bit in this series.

Body Revolution is very versatile and was a good purchase for me.

Last edited:
is Body Revolution high reps or low reps? Is there enough cardio bursts in the weight workouts to get a cardio effect?

nightowl81 said:
is Body Revolution high reps or low reps? Is there enough cardio bursts in the weight workouts to get a cardio effect?

It is set up kind of like P90X and Insanity where you do as many reps as you can in a specific time period. Because these are metabolic workouts, there is a cardio effect in every exercise since they are using both upper and lower body at once. There are four straight cardio bursts per workout that last one minute. Your heart rate stays elevated the whole time. If you are doing Cathe workouts regularly, you will find phase 3 right up your alley, but the whole program is awesome.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.