Janis Saffell Kickbox - anyone use these??

RWattier

Cathlete
I have heard people mention using Janis and Billy now and then......does anyone really enjoy Janis Saffell and why?? I am just curious I guess........I have listened to the advice on this forum and apparently kickbox is a great way to slim the thighs, but the only dvds I have are KM and getting KPC in the mail today. I have Taibo (tons of them) but I am SOOOOOOOO SICK of them! I did them for about four years in college and just cannot bust out them anymore......so I was thinking of ordering another kickbox.....

I really love Janis, she is my fave kickbox instructor. Her workouts are pure kickboxing or are kickbox specific, where Cathe throws in hi/lo intensity drills. she also has some really neat kickbox choreography and combinations. Her form is perfect and she has a very likeable personality. I love Cathe, but for kickboxing noone can beat Janis.

Like newbies who come here, I looked at her website and really couldnt tell the differences between the kickbox workouts. Are they all advanced? The circuit one (it appears to be the newest) looks interesting.
Susan C.M.
Nothing should be jiggling, unless it's jiggling off. - Cathe in HSC

I adore Janis Saffell! I just recently got all three of her CIA's but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Maybe I'll do one today! I've just been having so much fun with the HC's. I tend to burn a decent amount of calories on her Hardcore Kickbox Circuit workout and it's a ton of fun! I also really like her partner in that workout, Guillermo Gomez. He's got great form, too, and both of them have very enjoyable personalities.

I do love my Cathe kickbox workouts, too, but Janis and Cathe are quite different. I also got tired of Tae Bo after a while but still work one in every now and then and it's enojoyable again after taking a break!

Kat

I have Janis' Hardcore Kickbox Circuit and as a matter of fact just did it yesterday it is co-instructed with Guillermo Gomez. It is a really good workout and once I get all the moves down I will really be able to concentrate more on the power. I also have Guillermo Gomez' Kickbox Underground and while it is good, it is more of an intermediate workout with slower moves and not as fast paces as Cathe, Janis or Taebo. I like variety so with weighted gloves you can get a good workout from just about any kickbox tape.

Taebo can get old after awhile, I only have 3 taebos left, I gave my others away.

:D

I had some older Janis kickbox videos but I sold them. They were more intermediate and had too many choreographed moves for me. I never could keep my HR up. I do have Hardcore Kickbox, though. It IS fun, I'll agree with that, but I don't think it is "hardcore" on a Cathe level at all. In fact, I would say it is slightly less intense as KickMax. (If KickMax didn't have the intensity drills, I would say they are about the same.) The parts where Guillermo is leading are more intense than Janis' sections, though.

Janis Saffell is a great instructor! I like her workouts for the choreography, although I don't feel like I get the gasping for air workout that I do from Cathe's. Nevertheless, she is a lot of fun, cues well and has a nice attitude. I had the chance to go to one of her live master classes co-taught with Guillermo Gomez and both were great, super nice, and worked us harder than the videos. She also has some good step videos, and she sells her own line of workout clothes that she designs! Hope this helps!

Keli

Hi Reba! I LOVE Janis!!!!! Especially CIA9809 its the one that has a purple cover & the latest one that features her husband Guillermo. For me Janis is the kickboxing queen; she puts together GREAT combos of arms & kicks w/the right music. Try her you won't be sorry. Its so much fun! Kathy:D

Janis' earlier kickboxing workouts had a lot more choreo to them (which I don't like). I usually like about 1/2 of her earlier workouts (half of each workout), but am annoyed by the choreo in the other half (once they come out on DVD, I may reacquire them, because I could then just skip what I don't like much more easily).

Her latest(the Circuit workout) is very kickbox specific, with some light weight work thrown in. Guillermo (her SO or DH) is a great addition to her workouts, because he seems to bring them fully into the kickboxing genre.

Janis'kickboxing workouts all use weighted gloves (except for the Quick Fit or Quick Fix Kickbox workout she leads).

The first section of KM is very similar to Janis' style in some of her workouts (with the pivots and all).

Thanks girls! SOunds like I need to check out her workouts. I want the Hardcore Kickbox Circuit and maybe the Better Buns and More.......I have been looking for a very intense lower body workout without a lot of heavy weights........might do the trick :)

Thanks for all the opinions, I am also going to try and see if I can budge for that Purple Box one. There are sooooo many dvds that I want! Thank goodness I picked up another Pilates class to teach - that is where I get all my money for dvds.....I teach on the side :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.