I've just been diagnosed with colon cancer

Thanks everyone for your prayers,hugs, well wishes and advice! I am feeling better each day.

I am starting to use some visualization techniques to battle the cancer, one of them is the way Cathe and crew kick and punch with such a determined look on their faces in the Kick, Punch and Crunch video. I picture them kicking around inside my body. That will beat it!:)

Fondly,
Joyce

Hi Joyce,
What a great attitude you have about this,good for you !I don't know alot about the nutrition question but i did want to tell you a couple of thing my mother wished the doctors would have told her when she went through chemo for breast cancer.1} Some people ,not all, develop sores in the mouth so eating harder foods is tough,so have some eggs or yougurt or pudding around just in case,again it does not happen to everyone so dont be worried just prepare a bit in case.2} Some people, again not everyone, can become anemic during chemo and it can cause some dental problems,your gums can receede,this can be helped by going to the dentist before hand and coming up with a treatment plan .It might seem trivial ,gum problems compared to cancer, but it will be one less thing to deal with later after you've beaten the cancer beast.I really hope i did'nt scare you ,remember even on your worst day ,now is not forever and good times will come again!!
Best wishes,Elizabeth,C.

You go Joyce!

I am so impressed by your wonderful attitude, and like so many others here I'll keep you in my prayers. Sending you big hugs, too! I love your idea of using visualization to help you win this battle -- if you're visualizing the way Cathe, Jai and Lorrayne look I'm SURE you'll punch the lights right out of that cancer! :)

Please keep us posted on how you're doing and remember that we're all thinking of you!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

Check out this website, it is the website of the author of A Dietitian's Cancer Story. I strongly recommend the book. The author, obviously a dietitian, has had cancer three times.

http://www.cancerrd.com/

Best of luck to you in your fight.

I will keep you in my prayers. I pray for 100% recovery for you! Stay strong and keep your head up!

God Bless,
Pam

Dear Joyce,

I am almost 50 and at that age doctors recommend a screening colonoscopy.

I had thought I would not do the test because I just could not bear the thoughts of it (I am great about getting my other tests), but your story has changed my mind.

Thank you for sharing and again, may God Bless you and yours during critical tme.

Keep exercising and stay in touch with us all!

Love and Big Hugs,

Amy

No words of advice here- just sending lots of hugs and support your way!! I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

Jean

Hi Joyce,
I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. You are so brave that you are unforgettable. Can you give us an update? Please let us know how you are doing.
Take care.
Lisa

Joyce, your attitude is totally inspiring. Can't offer any practical advice, but I can say that you are absolutely, totally inspiring to me. YOU ROCK!! I know it sounds trivial, but it is from the heart. You DO Rock. Take care!!!
Kathy

Dear Joyce,
My thoughts are with you. I am sorry to hear about your colon cancer. I wish you well and hope you will be on the road to recovery soon. I don't know you but my heart feels for you. Be strong and know that people think about you and pray for you.
Susan

Dear Joyce-

You've obviously got a lot of support at these forums. So I will be brief.

My husband battled leukemia for over 18 months. While recovering from intense chemo and radiation, we tried to do as much physical activity as he could handle. It's a fine line between pushing yourself to feel better and letting your body recover. That's a line that only you will be able to determine. My personal experience says to get up and walk every single day you are awake. It doesn't have to be long, it doesn't have to be far, it doesn't have to be outside. Go for a walk just because you CAN!

You will be in my thoughts and personal prayers. You can beat this.

Stay strong.

With you in our thoughts,
Gayle

{{{{{{{{{{ENORMOUS CYBER HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

My prayer goes out to your and your family. Hold onto that POSITIVE ATTITUDE of yours.

Haydee

Joyce:
Wow, I'll be 38 this May and am also the mother of three.

Please accept my positive thoughts to you and your family. Your positive attitude, the support you are getting from your family and friends tells me you will bet this!
Many happy thoughts and good wishes going your way.
Hugs to you Joyce.

Joyce,

I am so sorry to hear that you were recently diagnosed with colon cancer. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I am not aware of anyone who recovered from this type of cancer, but I have friends who recovered from other forms of cancer and are doing well. I do know they had to eat a really low fiber diet while undergoing the chemo treatments. My friend just completed his last chemo treatment and is starting to re-train his body to eat normal foods. He indicated that there were times that he had to force himself to eat given he really wasn't interested in food. However, he is back to normal and feeling great (still a bit tired, though).

Just take care and listen to your body. We know you'll be back to your previous fitness level!

Lorrayne

I am a registered dietitian and highly recommend you read
the book "A Dietitian's Cancer Story:Information and Inspiration for Recovery and Healing" This book is written by a dietitian who has survived cancer three times. It contains nutrition information and complementary therapies that have benefited the author and her patients. The book focuses on breast cancer but is useful and applicable for all cancer patients. You are on my prayer list and you will beat this. The author's name is Diana Dyer. Phone number 734-996-9260

Dear Joyce,
So sorry to hear your news! Sounds like you are a very strong and determined woman. Which will be to your favor.
The first thing that came to my mind was Noni Juice. My husband delivers for UPS and is always talking about it. He meets alot of people and has heard a lot about it.There is a store here that sells it. When we were watching the superbowl he was just telling me of a player that broke his leg and was healed in like record time because of drinking the noni juice. And was back playing again.
I have never had any myself but I heard it tastes sorta gross. But I would certainly give it a shot.
Just check it out on google. You probably have a place in your area that carries it too if we do.
You are in my prayers!!!
p.s) I am also a mother of 3, and soon to be 37 years old.
Take Care!!!!
Cheryl;-)

Joyce,

I am praying for you and wish you the STRONGEST recovery from this! Keep strong and keep your chin up. I truly believe, and always have, that only the strongest of souls are faced with the greatest challenges. We are with you! STAY peaceful!

Jenni

Hi Joyce! Thinking of you and sending hugs your way. Also, many prayers! Keep us posted.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.