Is STS fun?

Murphymax

Cathlete
Ok, I recognize this might be a silly question as I think ALL of Cathe's workouts are fun; however, I must admit, I have not purchased the STS series because it looked too serious to me. Please do not get me wrong, I am quite serious about working out; however, I want to enjoy my workouts too. For some reason, STS looks really intense...and I mean that in more than simply an intense workout bc I KNOW it is an intense workout (that kind of intense I like :).

Please share with me your experience. Also, would you share with me the length of the workouts. I read through the information on shop.Cathe's product page for STS; however, I didn't see any information regarding the length of the workouts. Thank you, everyone!

I consider STS serious and focused. I personally like that as well as fun. To see the improvements you make as the weeks go on is very rewarding. The length of the workouts vary depending what meso cycle you're in. I don't recall if it's in Mesocycle 2 or 3 but there are a few workouts that last 67 min. One thing I liked about the leg workouts in STS is they're not full hour at least in Mesocycle 2 & 3 but they are powerful and intense. I love STS. I have done it 4x in full and then there are times I've pulled them into a rotation to spice things up. I usually do STS during the cooler months as it does make me thicker (more pumped) and during summer months I prefer to look more defined.

Good luck with your decision.
Brenda

I consider STS serious and focused. I personally like that as well as fun. To see the improvements you make as the weeks go on is very rewarding. The length of the workouts vary depending what meso cycle you're in. I don't recall if it's in Mesocycle 2 or 3 but there are a few workouts that last 67 min. One thing I liked about the leg workouts in STS is they're not full hour at least in Mesocycle 2 & 3 but they are powerful and intense. I love STS. I have done it 4x in full and then there are times I've pulled them into a rotation to spice things up. I usually do STS during the cooler months as it does make me thicker (more pumped) and during summer months I prefer to look more defined.

Good luck with your decision.
Brenda

Brenda, thank you for the feedback. You mentioned doing it 4 times in full. Is it something you try to incorporate once a year?

I have read some of the posts on the STS forum and people report amazing results. I am just curious, with something so intense and structured, do you simply move onto Cathe's other regular rotations, with her other DVDs, once you complete STS?

Thanks again!

I like STS as a winter project. I've done it 3 times and usually start it late October or early November. It is a serious program, but I mix in more upbeat "fun" workouts for the aerobic sessions in between. STS gives me leaner muscle definition and the strength gains over the course of the program do make you feel powerful. I go back to regular Cathe rotations after I'm done, but notice a huge difference in the amount of weight I can comfortably handle in her workouts after completing STS. I am always amazed.

You really need (or I do) to have your head in the game for STS. It's not a program that you approach lackadaisically. If you keep your mind focused on each rep, you'll get so much more out of it than if you simply go through the motions. That's true for any exercise program, but I think having the right mindset helps sustain you for the 3.5 month commitment. Winter and finishing up WELL before the nice Spring weather appears is the best time for me to stay on task and not get distracted.

It's worth every penny, even if you only do the program every 1-2 years.

Ok, I recognize this might be a silly question as I think ALL of Cathe's workouts are fun; however, I must admit, I have not purchased the STS series because it looked too serious to me. Please do not get me wrong, I am quite serious about working out; however, I want to enjoy my workouts too. For some reason, STS looks really intense...and I mean that in more than simply an intense workout bc I KNOW it is an intense workout (that kind of intense I like :).

Please share with me your experience. Also, would you share with me the length of the workouts. I read through the information on shop.Cathe's product page for STS; however, I didn't see any information regarding the length of the workouts. Thank you, everyone!

I am exactly halfway through my first ever round of STS and, while I wouldn't describe it as fun, I WOULD describe it as AWESOME! It has helped me in too many ways to count. To name a few things that make me love the program, I would have to start with the fact that it is completely different from anything I have ever done. It has increased my confidence as I am seeing the weight I can handle increase. It has increased my body weight by 3 pounds so far (This is an intentional gain for me. I needed to put some muscle on my scrawny bod and lay off the Hiit a little bit.). I feel stronger and more energized and I look forward to every STS workout. It is very intense but in a good way and one that is very different from the intensity of Cathe's other challenging workouts. Each STS workout that I complete makes me feel like I am one step (or Disc) closer to my goal of being as strong, fit, and healthy as I can be. Have you ever done a similar program or done serious progressive weightlifting before? This was my first experience with it and I have learned a TON from the STS Discs thus far. Several ladies on this forum helped me out as I started STS and encouraged me quite a bit. I'll bet some of them chime in here, too. I wish you the best of luck!

Christin

Fun? No, not really. Not in a 'complete giggle' way. Enjoyable? Yes. Definitely. Although I find Meso#3 can start to drag a little (I'm glad it's only 4 weeks).
I'm on my 4th time through (3rd STS rotation, as once I doubled up and did it for 6 months), so I obviously enjoy it.
Like Brenda said, it makes you 'thicker' (well, me at least). But it's easy to 'cut' afterwards - once you have a good muscle base, and your metabolism is primed. Note that it's a hypertrophy programme, essentially. It's very, very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, EXCEPT for 3 categories of people; those new to lifting, those with a lot of fat to use, and 'super responders' which make up less than 1% of the population. It is, however, quite straightforward to gain muscle, and THEN to lose fat.
I look my best about 3-4 weeks after doing STS.

The workouts can be LONG. As the other poster said, almost 70 minutes not including the stretch. And you'll need to stretch! It would be possible to split the workouts, though - say stop after chest and shoulders, then do triceps the following day. Not tried it, but I don't see why not.

The one thing I would have liked with the set, which would take it from amazing to most-awesome-lifting-programme-ever is some mobility drills and technique drills. On a separate dvd, including getting through common sticking points (eg techniques for stopping the knees caving at the bottom of a deep squat). Just like competitive weightlifters do. Maybe Cathe online one-on-ones? PLEASE?

Anyway, I'd say 'go for it'.
Good luck.

I have been doing STS for 6 weeks or so, and one thing that surprised me was how long the rest in between sets. I love lifting and weight training, even bought my very first barbell set. But when you see that the workout can be an hour or more long, it sounds really tough. But you get so much time (30 to 60 seconds) between sets, to me, it is way too easy! That was when I increased my weights more than I ever thought I could. And now I am glad that the rest period is there!

It is just strange to me, though, as all my other workouts have no rest at all, except for a quick drink of water. But I am more defined than I ever have been.

For me, STS was an AMAZING strength gaining journey. I increased my weights dramatically throughout the program and realized I had been holding myself back for a long time. I also gained confidence along the way. I gained muscle and had some definition (finally!) in my scrawny arms! I haven't done another full round of STS since then, but I do incorporate separate discs in rotations. I was doing the Extended Stretch after each and every workout and doing cardio on the in between days. It was definitely a time commitment, but I was worth it ;)!

I love the gym feel with the heavy lifting. I love Meso 2, but Meso 3 is my favorite because it's serious weight and I love me a good pump! I think it's fun because I love that style of lifiting and because she has so many workout variations rather than the repetitive Beachbody programs. I've done it as a program three times - the three- and six-month rotations and I pull them out quite frequently just to do certain body parts as part of no rotation.

Oh my where do I start?:):)

Okay...is STS fun...it depends what fun means to you. Awesomely enjoyable---That is what I mean.
It is fun, So are most, to say the least, most of cathe's programs. I simply love love love lifting the weight regardless of the goal
in endurance, hypertrophy or pure strength format. I do have a very soft spot for hypertrophy.
Trust me I don't look like hulk the incredible.:cool::cool:

I did workout my one rep max as recommended by cathe cause I am the type of person who tend to proceed to the
letter. I even invested in more equipment to ensure I set everything up and get on with the job without wasting time.

Yes it is intense. how intense is it. Cathe has used various training method to increase the intensity.
Also Cathe has used the speed and variation of exercises to bring the intensity really high to say the least.

Example: By the time you get to triset working out your leg while on meso 2, you will be gasping for air
test yourself and wear your HR monitor. Ensure youhear those bleeping selecting your relevant zone.
if you feel it is not bleeping, increase the weight and in the end you find the perfect weight selection to get the
pump done in the appropriate FUN FUN FUN way. It is like targetting a specific spot using an arrow
The better you position yourself more chance you have to hit it. weight selection represent positioning.
IMO when you select your weight properly you will need the rest time. In fact you will go through
program keeping your heart rate constantly and safely high.

I was no way ready to embark in such program when I started working cathe 8 years ago!:oops::oops:o_O
When I embarked on STS i already had muscle brain connection----Neural path way was already there.Because I had this
I found the program was fun. I experienced DOMS i had never experience. Although DOMS do not 100% guarantee the effectiveness of the performance from the fitness enthusiast, some of us, even on here, are DOMS lover/sucker.When I got to meso 3 at some point
I had bruises on my legs/thighs...I did not panick:D:p. I recall posting on here and few of us experienced this.

I gained definitions on my arms, in fact my arms never looked as better as I completed STS the second time.
My legs got lean and firm. I gained strength. I could lift heavier and longer/endurance.I agree with other posters with regard to winter being the best time. For me it is more convenient time.

BTW, I have done STS 3X...I wanted to be "Ready". That was a say to myself, being honest to myself.Before starting the program I read through the user guide to understand the concept behind it.I loved the structure and the content. I prepared everything before starting. I set a date, loaded the calendar printed off the worksheet etc...Idid not want to waiste time missing out on important details.I did not want to found myself wondering what was coming next right in the middle of the program.

One thing I did, not sure it is still on cathe website, was to watch through STS q&a on Cathe TV.
I hope Cathe refresh the background of the website to retrieve those helpful vid. They did help.

Most of workout last an hour. Few last about 70 minutes. I was doing much stretch later on during the day.
Most of the time I was stretching before bed. This works better for me.

I did loose weight about 8-10 pound. That was not part of the goal. I did prepare my nutrition (eating very clean)
aiming to give it my all. It was embarking on a adventure!

Hope I have answered all question.
Should you have any further, please do not hesitate.
Hope other folks chime in ;-)

All the best,

Last edited:
Christin, Justine, Horselady21, Nancy, Barb, Nathalie and Bonnie,

Thank you so much for your feedback. So incredibly helpful.

Yeah, when I wrote "fun" it was more about "enjoyable." I wanted to ensure there wasn't a dread factor to the workouts. I've been working out with Cathe for probably close to 15 years. I have enjoyed everything she has created; however, for some reason, I have been hesitant to take the plunge with STS. All of your posts here have alleviate that hesitation and I am definitely going to give it a try. :)

Thank you again so much.

Also, thank you, Zenara25, for the link. I will check that out.

Christin, Justine, Horselady21, Nancy, Barb, Nathalie and Bonnie,

Thank you so much for your feedback. So incredibly helpful.

Yeah, when I wrote "fun" it was more about "enjoyable." I wanted to ensure there wasn't a dread factor to the workouts. I've been working out with Cathe for probably close to 15 years. I have enjoyed everything she has created; however, for some reason, I have been hesitant to take the plunge with STS. All of your posts here have alleviate that hesitation and I am definitely going to give it a try. :)

Thank you again so much.

Also, thank you, Zenara25, for the link. I will check that out.

Please keep us posted.
Let's share STS fun;-)

oh you better check the daily deal today.
The price is insane lol ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.