Is eating clean the same as just eating healthy?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

This forum is the 1st time I have ever heard of "eating clean". Does this just mean eating healthy? Watching calories, fat, salt, portion, lots of vegetables/fruit/fiber? From the little searching I did, it kind of seems that way.

If you are eating clean, is it hard to do? Sometimes when I eat healthy, I waste so much food since it goes bad before I can eat/bake/cook it all. Or I end up buying a ton of weird ingredients that I use once.

I used to eat pretty healthy (watched calories, fat, protein, no salt) but now I eat pretty much what I want (in moderation). My meals are pretty healthy, but I snack a lot! It is just too much of a temptation! My friends and boyfriend and coworkers are always buying me snacks. And I am in charge of baking cakes for birthdays and cooking my famous meals that everyone loves. So, of course I have to take bites.

Here is the thing - I have always been extremely thin with a BMI of 17 (considered low but I am small framed so I look and am healthy). I have barely any fat on me (except maybe my stomach when I bend over & triceps at weird angles). I exercise, lift weights and definitley can see/feel muscle. I can even see/feel a 6-pack on my belly when I contract (not suck in) my abs. But I figure I need to eat a bit more healthy so I will show more "cut" that Cathe has given me! I have very low cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure.

I do remember when I ate healthy it was somewhat easy and tasted good. Didn't follow any diets, just watched portions. I did feel more energized. But now that life has taken over, it just seems to be harder. My family is big on food and is always forcing, giving me snacks and is offended when I don't have seconds and thirds. My friends always want to go out and share snacks. My coworkers are constantly giving me candy bars, etc. I love cooking and having people over for dinners. I have no problem saying 'no' to people and have done many times even though they become offended. But I do have a problem with will-power!

I guess my question is how hard is clean eating (healthy eating?) and is it hard to get others involved?

Thanks

Knowing that different people have different perceptions of "healthy" its hard to say if they are the same. But eating clean is definitely healthy, though! It's basically eating foods that aren't processed. Fruits, veggies, grains, meats, eggs, etc. (not candy bars, lol) And although, she may not have coined the phrase, Tosca Reno, definitely put it back on the map for our generation. You'd probably get a more thorough explanation by checking out one of her books (she has tons) from your local library or bookstore. She has an entire "Eat Clean" series of books (for women, men, kids, families, etc). There are other books out there that cover the topic as well, but she should sum it up quite nicely for you (over and over again, as you read each book, lol) ;)

If you decide to look for at your local bookstore, head over to the mag section and check out the "Clean Eating" magazine for some good recipes to boot. Getting enough recipes under your belt would make it not as hard, I'd say. (that's not to say that you'd never eat another candy bar, again, but maybe a LOT less often)

ETA: It may not be necessarily easy at first, but there are A TON of ways to keep eating most of the stuff you love, especially if you enjoy cooking. I love to bake for my family as well, and my hubby/son love my cooking. So I had to really find things that I could do that satisfied allof us. The turn around for me was figuring out that I could make most of the stuff that we were buying from scratch. At first I thought it'd be too tedious, but now it is just a part of what I do. It takes a bit more planning, but it's worth it. And my family actually appreciates it more.

Last edited:
Like KiKi said, grab one of Tosca's books and read up on eating clean. IMO, it's healthy eating but one step further. You should eat 5-6 small meals a day that contain a protein and a complex carb like you would get from veggies. No sugar allowed unless it's natural sugars from agave, sucanat, raw honey, etc. No refined sugars at all and the natural sugars should only be an occasional treat. Also no refined, white flours. Only whole wheat, whole grain.

It can be very overwhelming at first but I can testify that it can change your life for the better. I feel so amazing since I've started eating clean. It feels like a sacrifice at first but once your taste buds are retrained the cravings will disappear and you will do great.

The Eat Clean Diet website also has a forum that has a lot of ladies on there who are very supportive and informative. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Best of luck :)

Tracy

Thanks for both of your responses. I have never even heard of Tosca Reno but will check her out.

Did either of you (or anyone else) lose too much weight? I remember when I tried eating healthy & monitoring my food years ago, I lost way too much weight and looked bony (I was eating enough calories, I thought, I am just bony. I probably only lost 5 lbs but that was too much for me). But I do have a nice soft layer of fat on me now that I would like to get off so I look more cut and be healthier. I do remember when I ate healthy I felt better.

Thanks for the references - I will start checking them out and hopefully I can get my guy on board with this. Although he is the one always buying me snacks.

DixieGirl - I may be PMing you!

When you say that you were too bony before, were you lifting weights in addition to eating less? If you're eating clean AND lifting hard, you should develop more curves (from muscle), if anything. Also, maybe your cals were dropped too low. When I first lost all my weight, I was eating clean, doin a TON of cardio, and yes, my Hubby thought I was too small. But once I threw some heavy training in the mix, put on some nice lean muscle, he couldn't (& still can't, lol) keep his hands off me ;) .

Once you get to your desired weight you should be sure to eat at a maintenance level, not continue in a caloric deficit (like maybe add an extra snack back into the equation)

Thanks for both of your responses. I have never even heard of Tosca Reno but will check her out.

Did either of you (or anyone else) lose too much weight? I remember when I tried eating healthy & monitoring my food years ago, I lost way too much weight and looked bony (I was eating enough calories, I thought, I am just bony. I probably only lost 5 lbs but that was too much for me). But I do have a nice soft layer of fat on me now that I would like to get off so I look more cut and be healthier. I do remember when I ate healthy I felt better.

Thanks for the references - I will start checking them out and hopefully I can get my guy on board with this. Although he is the one always buying me snacks.

DixieGirl - I may be PMing you!

No, I haven't lost too much weight....inches though. I don't think my body is going to let go of anymore weight (I'm 5'3", and fluctuate btwn 108-110 lbs) and if I did lose more weight it would probably be muscle, which I don't want to happen ;-)

You might think about upping your weight loads on your w/o's, like KiKi says. Muscle burns fat so the more you build it can help shred that little layer of fat you are talking about.

As far as the clean eating, there are different "coolers" to choose from. Some are for dropping pounds, which it sounds like you don't really need. Another is for maintenance. Tosca's newest book called Stripped is designed for getting rid of the last 10 lbs then you could move to a cooler 2 type of plan to maintain once you get where you want to be. But I think if you got on board w/ the clean eats and built more muscle you could get rid of that little layer of fat. I'm in the same boat with a slight covering of fat over my muscles but I really tightened up my eats about 5 weeks ago and am going heavier w/ the weights and I see it improving.

Yes, feel free to PM me or ask any other questions here on the boards :)

Tosca's newest book called Stripped is designed for getting rid of the last 10 lbs then you could move to a cooler 2 type of plan to maintain once you get where you want to be.

Have you checked out Stripped yet? I keep meaning to, but haven't (I even went to Barnes and Noble last weekend and totally forgot to check it out). I'm on the last like 3 stubborn lbs. Well, not exactly "last" they're "winter lbs" that I put on every year, lol. Just wondering what tips she gives, and if it's any different from those given in "Making the Cut" ? which has pretty much worked for me the past years...

Have you checked out Stripped yet? I keep meaning to, but haven't (I even went to Barnes and Noble last weekend and totally forgot to check it out). I'm on the last like 3 stubborn lbs. Well, not exactly "last" they're "winter lbs" that I put on every year, lol. Just wondering what tips she gives, and if it's any different from those given in "Making the Cut" ? which has pretty much worked for me the past years...

I've got Stripped but haven't read it yet. I know no dairy is allowed. I'm on the fence about doing it. I've been reading NROL4W and he really cautions about cutting too many calories b/c it's so easy to lose muscle mass. I have some FAT I'd like to lose but don't want to take a chance on losing the muscle I've worked so hard to build...really I want to build some more muscle mass. I'm glad I got Stripped if nothing else for the recipes. I'm hoping once I finish this book I'm on I'll get around to reading Stripped to decide if I should do it or not.

Last edited:
Have you guys found it more expensive to eat clean? Are you able to find the ingredients at the grocery store or do you have to go to a specialty store? I am looking to lose these last 8 to 10 pounds and I am hoping that eating clean will do the trick. Also, do you guys count calories at all?

Thanks,
Regina

Well,according to my point of view fruits are healthy...if you want to get ripped you have to cut out sugar....sugar is not eating clean...!

Hi Regina,

It may be a little more expensive to eat clean but at the same time, you are not buying the unclean stuff anymore, right? I try to do some of my shopping at Costco or Sam's especially w/ the meats & fruits & veggies. I don't have to go to a speciality store very much. I do go to Earth Fare to get my sucanat, whole grain crackers & raw nuts but other than that I can find most things I need at the good ole' general grocery store.

My 2 cents

As for price, I just read an article over the weekend that for 1 person to eat "junk" can consume 2,000 calories a day for approx $3.60. For that same person to consume whole and natural foods, minimally processed foods at 2,000 calories it will cost approx $36. When I am active into my version of Clean Eating, I spend about $175-200 a week for 2 people.

For me, Clean Eating is different for everyone. Some people only consider Tosca Reno's idea to be clean eating (Eat-Clean Diet). Others believe that anything Farmer's Market and/or organic is "clean". Others still believe in not using any artificial sweeteners and some think sugar is fine in minimal amounts while some would say sugar is never clean. I fall in between.

My version of Clean Eating is a hybrid if you will. I love farmer's markets! I believe that animal fat is healthy and sugar can be used in small amounts. I have an allergy to Stevia and I cannot stand the after-taste of agave or sucanat. Honey is nice but with certain foods/baked goods, it over powers other ingredients. I used mostly unrefined sugar in minimal amounts when needed. It's natural, although processed, and I don't have a reaction to it. I am also a proponent of real butter, real milk, real eggs, never the fake or modified types. I cook with real cream and drink 2%. At times, even 4% when my diet tends to go a little European (they only consume full fat). I eat a high fiber intake that is natural. Meaning, I dont' consume the products that have fiber added or take supplements. I like my food to be minimally processed but I also believe in the 80/20 Rule: 80% healthy, whole, natural, and my version of "clean", 20% anything else which is were the treats and occasional salty snack somes in.

I'm a baker by heart and make my own breads and scratch cook whatever I can. I love making sauces from wine and baked good and treats at home. The boxed version and restaurant desserts just don't taste as good and they leave me bloated. Making them from home, I know what's in them and I can control the salt, sugar, and fats. I also eat far fewer homemade goodies then when I used to buy them. More control, richer ingredients, and higher quality makes the flavor better and thus, needing much, much less to feel satisified. I can make a meal out of Oxygen Mag for each one of my meals Day 1 and make meals for Day 2 from one of my Farmer's Markets Cookbooks. All are healthy, prepared at home with ingredients I bought and prepped myself. I know where everything came from and feel safe knowing it's healthful, full of nutrients, and will treat my body right.

I think each person needs to find the right balance of "clean eating" for themselves. What 1 person would call clean, another would dissagree with. But IMO, all the above are healthy whether you follow Tosca 110% or you believe in eating what your great-grandparents ate out on the farm- full fat and all. You just need to find what works for you and what you feel confortable and content in sticking with. As time progresses you'll move along a scale, changing your perspective and intake, investigating, but even that is natural too.

Last edited:
I think each person needs to find the right balance of "clean eating" for themselves. What 1 person would call clean, another would dissagree with. But IMO, all the above are healthy whether you follow Tosca 110% or you believe in eating what your great-grandparents ate out on the farm- full fat and all. You just need to find what works for you and what you feel confortable and content in sticking with. As time progresses you'll move along a scale, changing your perspective and intake, investigating, but even that is natural too.

Well said mrsprincess :)

mrsprincess, I think you are my twin :eek:. Though my philosophies are almost identical to yours (including LOVE of baking and having control of ingredients - even sugars), I totally agree, that each person must find their own balance (especially if they ever plan on sticking to it!)

Wow thanks mrsprincess! Your post really hit home and I agree with you 100%! I feel like i'm constantly battling both sides of the aisle. "Clean eaters" are always telling me what what i'm eating isn't clean enough or healthy enough or whatever and "non clean eaters" making fun because what I eat is "rabbit food" and "oh so healthy." I tried Tosca Reno's clean eating meal plans/guidelines and it just didn't work for me. I wasn't losing that much weight and I was miserable. Like you, i've found a healthy balance (80/20) works perfect. Yes I eat sugar, pasta/bread, and dairy, just not an excessive amount of any of the above. Yes, I may lose more weight eating 100% clean but it is not worth feeling miserable, hungry, and unhappy all the time. Balance right? :)

Wow thanks mrsprincess! Your post really hit home and I agree with you 100%! I feel like i'm constantly battling both sides of the aisle. "Clean eaters" are always telling me what what i'm eating isn't clean enough or healthy enough or whatever and "non clean eaters" making fun because what I eat is "rabbit food" and "oh so healthy." I tried Tosca Reno's clean eating meal plans/guidelines and it just didn't work for me. I wasn't losing that much weight and I was miserable. Like you, i've found a healthy balance (80/20) works perfect. Yes I eat sugar, pasta/bread, and dairy, just not an excessive amount of any of the above. Yes, I may lose more weight eating 100% clean but it is not worth feeling miserable, hungry, and unhappy all the time. Balance right? :)

mrsprincess, I think you are my twin :eek:. Though my philosophies are almost identical to yours (including LOVE of baking and having control of ingredients - even sugars), I totally agree, that each person must find their own balance (especially if they ever plan on sticking to it!)

Sorry ladies for just seeing the replies!

Nothing is worth feeling bad. Whether it's feeling this way because of how or what you eat or from the opinions of others. I've been traveling a lot lately with my husband for business and I cannot wait until things calm down so I can make some awesome home cooked meals and actually buy and EAT my healthful selections. There is nothing worse than coming home and having all of my produce rotten, so no point in buying it. I WANT to eat it. Not because someone told me I had to, but because I want it, my body craves it. I want to lose some weight too, but I also have been realistic about my goals. I know what I can achieve without the strict codes and numbers and that's what I have to stick to. So I won't be on the cover of Oxygen Magazin, but I'll be happy and not hungry!! Basically, I've been on this weight loss roller coaster for so long, I know I cannot do something today that I am not willing to do tomorrow. So being perfect with food is out, it's not happening. I like cake. Period.

I'll also add the I find the biggest victory to be when you can turn down a food or stop eating it simply because you have no interest in it vs someone telling you're not allowed to consume it. We had donuts sitting out yesterday at a friend's party. I have 2 donut holes and they were ok. I would have eaten 10 before. After the second I thought to myself- "these don't taste as good as I remember" and I left the rest alone. Same with the candy and chip dishes; I had no interest in those what so ever. I decided for myself that I don't want it. I however, know I can have it if I wanted.

So thanks Tosca Reno, but I can handle this on my own according to my own unique tastes and needs. While I appreciate your concerns I don't need your judgement about my lifestyle. I will instead listen to my body and treat it with respect instead of giving my control away to others. Balance is best in my book, and it makes for a happier life. My family appreciates it too!

mrsprincess -

I am searching for my own balance and own style of eating that is healthy. And I agree with most of what you said about what you eat.

I too want real butter, real eggs, real food.... healthy and as unprocessed as possible.

but I don't want to have to go to the natural foods store and buy a lot of exotic ingredients.

I read somewhere, that one should concentrate on the outside aisles at the supermarket - that's where you'll find the fresh fruits and veggies, the lean protein, the bread, the dairy, etc.

I want to eat:

lean protein - turkey, chicken, lean beef, shrimp, clams, FF Greek yogurt, real eggs, real butter (I buy Land o Lakes butter made with olive oil.. super good) in moderation, a little cheese once in a while

Fresh fruits and veggies and frozen veggies with no sauce and no sodium

Beans and peas

Complex carbs like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, whole grain bread.

Olive oil for cooking and salad dressing that I make myself.

Nuts (almonds and walnuts)

What I'm searching for are a few good cookbooks that I can use. I'm in a rut.

I want easy to prepare, healthy, regular food.. nothing "gourmet" with a million ingredients.. just normal healthy food using the above list.

any suggestions for cookbooks? from anyone?

What I'm cooking/eating now is so simple that it has become boring. A need some variety, some new recipes, but nothing too time consuming or complex. Middle-of-the-road is what I'm looking for.. interesting, but not too "way out." ... lol

That's great, In fact according to my point of view fruits are healthy...if you want to get ripped you have to cut out sugar, sugar is not eating clean

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.