Is anyone incorporating Freestyle Training with STS for leaner legs?

ChicagoJen

Cathlete
Hi all,

I'm a long-time Cathlete and I'm absolutely loving the new STS Series. I'm currently on week 3 and wow... I'm addicted!

While my upper body is looking awesome, I'm noticing that my legs are bulking a bit, unfortunately. Uh oh. My diet is pretty clean (except for the occasional craving for peanut butter! ha!). Also, I'm a vegetarian. 35 years old.

I realize that everyone's body responds differently, yet I'm wondering if anyone has a rotation suggestion for my pear/spoon shape to incorporate some freestyle training into the STS program? On off days I've been riding an elliptical with no little resistance and doing some higher rep Cathe workouts such as LL, PLB, etc...

I feel like I've tried the heavy weights / lower body angle and I just don't seem to be getting the results that I'd like- a slimmer leg.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

xo, Jen

Question

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has a rotation suggestion for my pear/spoon shape to incorporate some freestyle training into the STS program?

Jen, what do you mean by "freestyle training?"

I'm bottom-heavy myself and would like to see less bulk on my lower half. I'm doing STS and I definitely look better on top than on the bottom.

Thanks!

Freestyle training

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips! :)

Kathryn, freestyle training is based on a book that has been mentioned in the forums quite a bit- search 'freestyle' and 'legs' to find several threads on the topic. :)

Basically, it involves working out the legs several times a week with high reps / lower weights, and adding a lot of cardio as well. Unfortunately, I don't love cardio so much. Ha! I guess that's the problem.

There are also rotations using Cathe's previous workouts (not STS, which is what I was looking for in my initial post...) that utilize the freestyle technique in the 'rotations' forum. I've used those and have seen great results.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions!

Take care,
Jen

I am not doing the legs STS at all. I am getting all my leg work from my cycling and some Pilates and yoga. My reason is not because I don't want to do the legs, but my coach has told me to hold off on leg workouts for now. I am training for an endurance mtb race and weighted leg work and (especially) plyos really mess with my riding.

so, bottom line is do what is best for you...and I agree with the Pilates & yoga suggestions for sure.

Freestyle training and STS

Hi Jen,

I've been thinking about how to incorporate this myself because I'd really like to lean down my lower body....in the last year or so it seems that things are wanting to 'stick' (I'm 46). I've used the method quite a lot in the past with great success....and actually am certified in Freestyle training!

Okay....let me give this some thought about how to incorporate and I'll get back with you. Of course the most effective is to do standing leg routines 4-6 days per week...and more cardio. I haven't looked at Cathe's STS Plyo Legs workout yet but I'm sure we can maximize use of this workout in the rotation.

A few questions for you....
-Do you have any knee or joint issues that would prevent doing standing legs 4-6 days per week? If so, we could alternate standing and floorwork for the legs.
-Do you want to use all Cathe routines for legs and cardio or do you have other DVDs and workout options you'd like to include?

Will get back to you....I'm going to do it too....I'm excited!!!

Cheryl

Last edited:
STS Freestyle Rotation Mesocycle 1

Hi Jen,

I've been giving this some thought and have come up with a rotation that I'm going to start immediately...to see what results I get. I based it on Cathe's STS with cardio recommendations, but shuffled things around in order to add more lower body work. I tried to keep most workouts at 70 min. or less because that's about all the time I have in the mornings. I made the Sat. workouts a bit longer.

MESOCYCLE ONE….MUSCLE ENDURANCE

Week One :
Monday: Disc 3 (legs) 53 minutes + Ab Circuits “No Equipment Abs”
Tuesday: Disc 1 (chest, shoulders, biceps) 50 min, Cardio Intervals (Imax 2) 10-15 min Flr Legs 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 26 Plyo Legs 46 min + Kick Punch Crunch Abs
Thursday: Disc 2 (back and triceps) 56 minutes, Cardio Intervals 10-15 min (Imax 2) Flr Legs 10 min
Friday: Drill Max premix #4 (Leg blast) 57 min + Ab Circuits “Weight /Plates Abs”
Saturday: Kick, Punch, and Crunch cardio, 4-Day Split Premix #3 Lower Body + Core
Sunday: Rest/Stretch

Week Two:
Monday: Disc 6 (legs) 56 min + Ab Circuits “Yoga-Based Abs”
Tuesday: Disc 4 (chest, shoulders, biceps) 55 min, Cardio Intervals (MIC) 10-15 min, Flr Legs 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 29 Plyo Legs 50 min + Ab Circuits “Pilates-Based Abs”
Thursday: Disc 5 (back and triceps) 56 minutes, Cardio Intervals (MIC) 10-15 min, Flr Legs 10 min
Friday: Low Max 70 minutes
Saturday: Cardio Kicks cardio, Butts and Guts Premix #1 50 min.

Week Three:
Monday: Disc 9 (legs) 53 minutes + Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs”
Tuesday: Disc 7 (chest, shoulders, biceps), Cardio Intervals (Imax) 10-15 min, Floor Legs 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 32 Plyo Legs 48 min + Ab Circuits “Weight and Plates Abs”
Thursday: Disc 8 (back and triceps), Cardio Intervals (Imax) 10-15 min, Floor Legs 10 min
Friday: 4Day Split Boot Camp Premix #11 Circuit Lower Body
Saturday: Kick Max cardio, CTX Leaner Legs/Abs

Week Four:
Monday: Disc 12 (legs) 53 minutes, Ab Circuits “Stability Ball Abs”
Tuesday: Disc 10 (chest, shoulders, biceps) 56 min, Cardio Intervals (Imax3) 10-15 min, Flr Legs 10
Wednesday: Disc 35 Plyo Legs 49 min. + Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs
Thursday: Disc 11 (back and triceps) 56 min, Cardio Intervals (Imax3) 10-15 min + Floor Legs 10 min
Friday: Hardcore Extreme #3 Interval Blast Plus Legs 69 min
Saturday: Rhythmic step cardio, Timesaver #5 Legs + Abs 48 min.

I'm excited to give it a try! Let me know what you think...

Cheryl

This rotation is amazing, Cheryl!

Wow, Cheryl. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for sharing your expertise! This rotation looks great! And 70 minutes is just fine. That's about all I can handle... ;)

To answer your 2 questions... I have no knee problems and I use only Cathe workouts, yes... (yet I'm open to suggestions for other DVDs that are equally advanced.) So, I'm very excited to get started on this rotation ASAP. It's going right into my workout calendar.

Thank you!!! And I'll be sure to check in on progress and such. I'm wondering if I should take leg measurements, pre- and post-. I don't care about stepping on the scale too much, to be honest. I tend to gauge progress by how my clothes are fitting. :)

Take care,
Jen

STS Freestyle Rotation

You're welcome Jen. I'm going to do it too...so we should definitely keep in touch and compare our results!! Yes, that is a great idea to take measurements of those critical areas where we'd like to lose...so I'll do that tomorrow morning too...for me it's lower abs, hips and thighs :)

I'll load you up as my workout buddy if that's okay? Might be easier for us to keep in touch.

I'm working on the Mesocycle 2 now so when I get that done I'll post it...and same with 3.

Very excited about starting this!!!

Cheryl

Wow, Cheryl. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and for sharing your expertise! This rotation looks great! And 70 minutes is just fine. That's about all I can handle... ;)

To answer your 2 questions... I have no knee problems and I use only Cathe workouts, yes... (yet I'm open to suggestions for other DVDs that are equally advanced.) So, I'm very excited to get started on this rotation ASAP. It's going right into my workout calendar.

Thank you!!! And I'll be sure to check in on progress and such. I'm wondering if I should take leg measurements, pre- and post-. I don't care about stepping on the scale too much, to be honest. I tend to gauge progress by how my clothes are fitting. :)

Take care,
Jen

Comparing Results

That sounds like a great idea! I didn't know about the workout buddy option. That's fun! Yes, please sign me up. :)

I'm looking to target the same areas as you, so I'll get out the tape measure tonight!

I'm so excited to start this rotation! Thanks so much for compiling rotations for 2 & 3, too. You're too kind.

Take care and I'll be in touch soon,
Jen

STS Freestyle Rotation Mesocycle 2

Hi Jen,
Okay I sent you an invite to be my workout buddy...I think it shows up on your profile page somehow.

Here's what I came up with for Mesocycle 2:
The idea I had with the cardio bursts on Tues/Thurs along with the upper body workouts was to boost our metabolism a bit so I'd recommend selecting tough intense segments for those since they're short.

MESOCYCLE TWO….HYPERTROPHY

Week One :
Monday: Disc 14 (legs) 48 min, Ab Circuits Weights/Plates
Tuesday: Disc 13 (chest, shoulders, triceps) 65 minutes, Cardio(Step Blast) 10-15 min
Wednesday: Disc 26 Plyo Legs 46 min., Ab Circuits Pilates-based, Floor Legs 10 min
Thursday: Disc 15 (back and biceps) 54 minutes + Cardio (Step Blast) 10-15 min
Friday: Body Max 2 Warm-up, Step, Power Circuit Leg Segment, Abs, Cooldown 76 min
Saturday: Step, Jump, and Pump premix #5 Step and Hi/lo cardio, Butts and Guts Premix #2 Overall Leg 65 min

Week Two :
Monday: Disc 17 (legs) 48 min + Ab Circuits “No Equipment”
Tuesday: Disc 16 (chest, shoulders, triceps) 64 minutes, Cardio(Cardio Fusion) 10-15 min
Wednesday: Disc 29 Plyo Legs 50 min, Ab Circuits Med Ball Abs + Floor Legs 10 min
Thursday: Disc 18 (back and biceps) 54 minutes, Cardio(Cardio Fusion) 10-15 min
Friday: Boot Camp Premix #7 Cardio and Lower Body + Abs
Saturday: Cross Train Express Cardio, Supersets Premix #16 Lower Body 3 sets 59 min.

Week Three :
Monday: Disc 20 (legs) 48 min, Ab Circuits Stability Ball Abs
Tuesday: Disc 19 (chest, shoulders, triceps) 65 minutes, CTX 10-10-10 (1/2)
Wednesday: Disc 32 Plyo Legs 48 min, Floor Legs
Thursday: Disc 21 (back and biceps)….54 minutes, CTX 10-10-10 (1/2)
Friday: Kick Max Premix #4 Cardio Leg Sculpt 52 min + Abs
Saturday: Step Heat cardio, Butts and Guts Premix #3 Leg Blast 48 min + floorwork

Week Four :
Monday: Disc 23 (legs) 48 min + Floor Legs
Tuesday: Disc 22 (chest, shoulders, triceps) 65 minutes, Cardio (Kick Punch Crunch)-10
Wednesday: Disc 35 Plyo Legs 49 min. + Ab Circuits Weights/Plates
Thursday: Disc 24 (back and biceps) 54 minutes, Cardio (Kick Punch Crunch)-10, Floor Legs-10
Friday: Low Impact Circuit Premix #2 Lower Body Circuit 56 min + Abs
Saturday: Cardio Fusion Premix # 1 step cardio, Pyramid Lower Body 50 min

I'll post Mesocycle 3 tommorrow...talk to you soon!

Cheryl

STS Freestyle Rotation Mesocycle 3

Hi Jen, okay here's what I've come up with Mesocycle 3...

MESOCYCLE THREE….STRENGTH

Week One :
Monday: Disc 37 Squat Rack Legs 61 min, Ab Circuits Yoga Abs
Tuesday: Disc 25 (chest and back) 68 minutes, Drill Max drills 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 26 (plyo legs) 46 min + Ab Circuits Med Ball Abs
Thursday: Disc 27 (shoulders, biceps, triceps) 61 minutes, Drill Max drills 10 min
Friday: Power Max 64 min, High Step Training Lower body 13 min
Saturday: Low Impact Circuit Premix # 1 Cardio Blast, Gym Style Legs

Week Two :
Monday: Disc 38 Squat Rack Legs 50 min, Ab Circuits “Stability Ball Abs”
Tuesday: Disc 28 (chest and back) 68 minutes, Circuit Max cardio 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 29 (plyo legs) 46 min + Floor Legs
Thursday: Disc 30 (shoulders, biceps, triceps) 61 minutes, Circuit Max cardio 10 min
Friday: Body Max warm-up, step, power circuits-legs, abs, cool down
Saturday: 4Day Split Cardio, Slow & Heavy Legs + Floorwork

Week Three:
Monday: Disc 39 Squat Rack Legs 59 min, Ab Circuits Weights and Plates
Tuesday: Disc 31 (chest and back) 68 minutes, Cardio Imax 2 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 32 (plyo legs) 46 min + Floor Legs, Circuits Pilates-based
Thursday: Disc 33 (shoulders, biceps, triceps) 61 minutes, Cardio Imax 2 10-15 min
Friday: 4-Day Split Premix #3 Kickbox with legs and core 71 min
Saturday: Kick Punch and Crunch cardio, Pure Strength Legs/Abs

Week Four :
Monday: Disc 40 Squat Rack Legs 63 min, Ab Circuits Yoga Based Abs
Tuesday: Disc 34 (chest and back) 68 minutes, Cardio Interval 10 min
Wednesday: Disc 35 (plyo legs) + Floor Legs
Thursday: Disc 36 (shoulders, biceps, triceps) 61 minutes, Cardio Interval 10 min
Friday: Drill Max Premix #4(cardio leg blast) 70 min
Saturday: Cross Train Express Cardio combo, Legs/Glutes

Have you tried the plyo leg routines yet?? Last night I tried the first Plyo Legs workout and....WOWSA!!! I am trying to play 'catch up' with week one with some of the added lower body work...may or may not be able to get that done. I am feeling excited about this rotation...really feel like it will give good results!! Take care, talk with you soon,

Cheryl

Holy Wow.

Cheryl,

Rotations 2 and 3 are also awesome! And kind of frightening. haha! Took measurements last night so I'm all ready to go. :)

I haven't done any plyo STS yet, no... and am excited to get to those (I think. Ha!). So far I've almost completed Meso 1, but am starting your wonderful Rotation 1 this evening and I'm thrilled about it. Hurray!

Thanks for adding me as a buddy. Wow, you're a triathlete. I'm super impressed. And you race bikes! I'm a huge bike fan.

Chat with you soon and thanks again for these great rotations. I'm really blown away by your kindness.

Have a good day!
Jen

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips! :)

Kathryn, freestyle training is based on a book that has been mentioned in the forums quite a bit- search 'freestyle' and 'legs' to find several threads on the topic. :)

Basically, it involves working out the legs several times a week with high reps / lower weights, and adding a lot of cardio as well. Unfortunately, I don't love cardio so much. Ha! I guess that's the problem.

There are also rotations using Cathe's previous workouts (not STS, which is what I was looking for in my initial post...) that utilize the freestyle technique in the 'rotations' forum. I've used those and have seen great results.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions!

Take care,
Jen

I have that book! You have to also google the author's name (George Snyder) in addition to freestyle, otherwise you come up w/all kinds of knock-offs.

I'm not doing STS but

Running intervals on moderate incline works on thinning out my thighs. Even if its just three times a week. What I'm doing is after I warm up I will run until I see my the top of my heart range (185) then speed walk it down to about 150 and then jog it back up. I do that for about an hour. Yoga does help a lot.

i have just completed all 4 leg workouts using 60-70 % of my one rep max. I have done cardio three times weekly and frankly my legs could not handle any more. The meso one leg workouts, especially with the plates are indeed intense. My legs are pleasantly fried! I did not think that I would get a good leg workout (because of my power lifting background) Was I surprised! I think that if you really use your true percentage of your one rep max and keep your rest periods as prescribed in each leg workout-your legs could not take much more

STS Freestyle Rotation

Jen, you're very welcome...yes they do look a little frightening [hee]...but I'm super excited to have started. My legs have been pleasantly sore :) Can't wait for you to try the Plyo Legs workouts...the first one was incredible! It's so fun to have you as a workout buddy as we start this. Yes, I love triathlons...have been doing them for 9 years. I'm planning to start bike racing this season with my training partner....should be interesting!! But cycling is my strongest sport and I just bought a new beautiful and fast racing bike :) Will chat with you soon!

Rapidbreath...I agree with you about running on an incline treadmill...I have been doing some of that myself trying to lean out my thighs...seems to be also helping to tone up my butt :) Well..to answer your question about overtraining and injuring the lower body with the freestyle program.....it is very individual...you have to really watch how you are feeling when doing the program. Some people are not able to do all the standing work for legs and it works best to altnerate days of standing and floorwork. And you have to build up to it...and if anything starts to tweak then definitely have to back it off. I have been doing the program on and off for about 14 years...without any injuries. Yes there were times I felt overtrained but that's when I back off and let it rest. Also have to say that when I started doing it my athleticism went through the roof and I started doing triathlons and marathons and doing pretty well....esp. with having no athletic background.

Regina...yes I agree with 60-70% of 1 rep max the legs routines once per week are definitely enough. But I do tend to bulk up in the legs....esp. the thighs and my legs are very strong so my 60-70% would be pretty heavy. Want to clearly state that I'm doing the workouts at a lighter weight than would be my 60-70% max but doing more work overall in order to lean down my lower body. That's cool you have a power lifting background!! My niece has done some of that and did very well until she injured her back....which is too bad because I was very excited for her!

Have a great day all! I'll be in touch Jen :)

Cheryl

follow up

Hi girls!
I was wondering if you all had done this program and what your success with it has been.
I am wanting to structure a freestyle program incorporating some Cathe. Although, I can't afford the STS at this point, but maybe sometime in the future.
So do tell....How's it going?
~Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.