is anyone else inflexible?

scm

Cathlete
In doing Stretch Max, it's apparent how inflexible I really am. With some of the leg stretches I had to grab my pant leg to hold the move. Anyone else as bad as me?
Susan C.M.
Nothing should be jiggling, unless it's jiggling off. - Cathe in HSC

I'm pretty inflexible too. I do improve, however, if I include Pilates regularly in my routine, but I'm sorry to say that I don't do Pilates that often anymore. Perhaps Stretch Max will help.

Shelbygirl

I would say I am pretty inflexible. Hamstrings are very tight! But, they are getting better the more I work out. I need to start incorporating the stretch max workouts into my schedule. I have only done one!

Me too, in a major way. 22 years of running and mostly neglecting the stretching part at the end left me with incredibly inflexible hamstrings and spine. My '05 resolution was to increase my flexibility. I can run, I can lift heavy, I can handle the great pain Cathe brings. However, I must say that the yoga I have taken up is about to knock me over. Downdog you say? Feet on the floor? Not likely. Some of those moves are made by pretzels, not people. How can they do that? In any event, in 2 agonizing months of adding in yoga, I see teensy tiny differences. I do yoga twice a week, and now have added in one of the stretch max's at the end of the yoga. Still, I am always as sore after yoga as I am after heavy deadlifts with 85 pounds, or running an hour. Here comes middle age!
If you want to try yoga, here are my suggestions:
Bryan Kest's 3-in-1, beginner to advanced. I moved to the intermediate based on strength alone (pushups during vinyasas and such), but can't really hold a lot of the stretches for all that long.
MTV 4pack, 2 yogas (one basic and one power yoga) and 2 pilates.
I also have Shiva Rea's most excellent Shakti Yoga with its beginner program and yoga matrix. But, I see all those amazing moves she does and it just fries me up that I haven't a hope for years, until I can increase my flexibility. She is more like a gymnast. In a split leg seated position, this woman can touch her head to the ground. Hah, I can barely bend over.
Give it a try, but please don't blame me (lol) when your hamstrings seize up and you have to miss a day of legs!

I am very inflexible. Especially compared to when I used to run and before that when I danced. I have to do better in this area. So I'm trying to do more yoga. Haven't tried stretch Max though. I just love how slow yoga stretches you in places you never knew you had...and its so calming for the mind.

Oh me too. I feel like I've been working on it for years and have made so little improvement. Pilates helped but only as long as you do it.:p ! What I mean is I'm always surprised how quickly I stiffen up again after a period of not stretching.

Trish

Always try to stretch after a workout, as that will help your joints, which will be important once you hit middle age or a little bit past it. But do take one day a week to just stretch, and do eithe Cathe's Stretch Max or Yoga. As with Yoga your not just stretching you are strength toning/training as well. So you do get a good workout with Yoga it's just it feels so much different then lifiting weights that you don't realize just how much your stressing your muscles. So those of you who are afraid of missing a strengthing day, don't be, Yoga will keep you strong and even make you stronger while stretching as it not only challenges your normal muscles, but it will stretch and strengthen the muscles that are sometimes not used as much, and when you start into those, you get a good workout and the next day you got that sore I worked my body yesterday feeling.

Good luck and do keep stretching it will get easier and you will become more flexiable which in the long run will really be benifical to you. And remember not everyone has the same type muscles so you may not be able to stretch as far as someone slse. Use either a stretch band or a belt to help you in the stretch until you can get down that far. ALso stretching you challenge yourself not the people on TV or the person next to you. As some people build denser muscle faster and easier then others, and those people will have a much harder time stretching then someone with less dense muscles. But if you work hard you can really become limber, which will help you, if you ever go to fall, especially on the ice and snow.

Kit

No, I am very flexible. I studied ballet seriously for a number of years and have great flexibility in my legs, hips and back and still incorporate stretch into my workouts. I think anyone can increase thier flexibility but unless you are naturally pliable you'll have to work consistently at it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.