ipod nano vs shuffle

twosquared

Cathlete
Calling all runners and others of course - please chime in about the pros and cons - I am trying to decide between the two. Which do you like better for running and exercising and just in general. Please bear in mind, if I get the shuffle I will need to get the upgraded in ear headphones as the standard headphones don't fit my small ears - I have read reviews that the silicone slips when one is sweaty - so please comment on this if you own these.

Price isn't the deciding factor here.

For those of you with the nano, please also comment about armbands you have and what you like or dislike about them.

Finally, anyone using the nike + kit - please comment - I will need a shoe pouch as I don't own nike running shoes (nike does not fit me either)

Thanks in advance - I know you guys know your stuff so I am certain the info you post will make my decision easier.

I have a nano and use the Nike + feature. I love it. With the nano you can put your music/downloads into categories. For example all my cardio coach down loads are in my CC folder. I separate out types of music, like oldies, country etc. From what I understand about the shuffle is that it just plays. You can't really select what's going to play. (someone with a shuffle correct me if I'm wrong)

As for the Nike +, its pretty cool. When you get it you calibrate a certain distance so it knows your regular stride. It's not totally accurate, but its great for discovering your improvements. I don't use the upload feature, where you can keep track of your rns on a computer. I do love when Lance Armstrong comes on at the end of the run and congratulates me for completeing a faster time or longer run. I think there are 2 other athlete celebrity voices on mine. As for the pouch, do a search on line and you should find several options. One more feature I use on the nano is the game feature. You can play solitare, music quiz(which is kind of like "name that tune" and parachute. I use these when I travel.

Jean

I have a nano and I love it! I do have an armband for it and love that too. The only thing I would say I dislike is that I feel like I"m going to rip the rubber as I pull the Ipod out.... but it's very stretchy so I don't think I will. Well, I guess another thing I don't like about the armband is my arm is too small for it!:p It slides down and rests towards the crook of my arm/elbow. It's not flopping around or anything but its definitely not snug. Guess I just need to build up my bicep a little more!:p

I had a Nano, but I got a Touch and I love the Touch. Between Nano and Shuffle, definately Nano, but if money is no object, get the Touch.

Why you should get the Shuffle:
- Your main use of a player is active use
- You dont want to carry around your entire music collection with you, an ultra compact size and an extra light player means a lot to you
- You have no interest in portable video or are willing to get a second player for watching video / carrying a large collection of media around.

Pros of the shuffle:
-You can work out / run without worrying about damage or the player getting in the way. it is the most "cant even notice I am carrying something" player in the ipod lineup.
-Although it does not have a screen to navigate content, it still supports playlists and will "talk to you" to help you navigate through your collection of playlists and content

Why you should get the nano:
- You want a very compact size and also want
- a screen to navigate and find content by looking not listening
- to carry around more content that just 2 gb (Nanos can take 16 gb)
- like the idea of watching movies / tv series on a very small screen
- Nanos are good for active use - not just as unobtrusive when working out as the shuffle
- Nanos have accessories like the nike plus for measuring your runs, that are not available with the shuffle
- they are only very slightly more "present" on your person than the shuffle when you run in terms of whether you notice it.

I've been considering getting a low-end shuffle to load up with CardioCoach for hotel workouts, and for home use to hold a handful of podcasts for days when I'm gardening or hiking in the rain, so as to lighten the load and also keep my nano out of harm's way. It always makes me a little nervous having the nano out with me, around dirt and water.

Does anyone else do this?

Of course, it is entirely possible - probable? - that this idea is just my brain supplying a rationalization to buy yet another gadget :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
I have both and have used both. I think Vee gave some really good pros and cons of the two devices. I like the shuffle when I know what I want to run to and can load it up and just hit play. If I'm not sure what I'm going to run to or I switch around from podcasts to music to cardio coach, etc. then I prefer the nano for navigation ease.

I HATE armbands though and have a nano case that clips onto my waistband - I find it a lot easier to take it off my waist and navigate to a podcast or new playlist. Skipping ahead and pausing I don't need to take it off of course. Here's the link
http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/es86083/3

I also have a magnetic case that works OK but if I am running, it slips down my shorts. I can only wear it on my top - it seems to stay put better.
Here's the link: http://www.goistik.com/

But NOW I'm getting an iPhone and am going to try this running bra to hold it. I hope that it's comfortable and doesn't bounce as they promise. I also like the idea of having a phone and music all together. I don't run with my cell phone now and my runs are getting longer.
http://www.gracies-gear.com/

I have a shuffle. I also have an older larger ipod. I like the shuffle because I just load it up with what I want to listen to at that time. I'm constantly erasing it and filling it up again with other stuff. For workouts, I usually have a low carb or joggin podcast and some tunes. I also put the podrunner or the music for running on it. I only use the other ipod to fall asleep to anymore.

I vote for the shuffle if you will be using it primarily while running. I use the shuggle and don't even notice it's there. I clip it to the waist band of my shorts and run the headphone wire under my tank top and bra then out the top of my shirt.

I have an iPod classic too and love it for when I am on the ellipitcal and other general use.

My DH has a nano. Since he sweats a lot he bought a waterproof case to carry it in when he runs. It's way bigger than I like to carry when I run.

If price isn't an issue then maybe you can get both.

The only thing I don't like about the iPod classic/touch and the nano is the armband. I woukout outside a lot and it leaves a tan line - ugh! I'm constantly having to switch arms so the lines even out. Oh, and the band pinches uncomfortably.

The shuffle (my DH has one) is great because it just clips on your shirt or shorts. No armbands needed. Of course, if you want wireless headsets, I don't think they can be used with the shuffle. If you want to carry Cathe dvd workouts on your iPod, you will need a classic/touch or a nano.

Tricia

We have a shuffle (actually gave it to DH for his birthday). It has all of my favorite workout songs, my husbands' music and my kids' music on it -- it holds A TON! I use it when I jog on the treadmill, and love that it's SO little and clips on my shirt. We also hook it up in the car on road trips and the kids get to listen to their music too. I think it's a GREAT deal for $45 (on amazon.com).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.