Interval Training

fittwin120

Hi Cathe,

Can you please tell me why you only reccommend doing IMAX 2 only 1 - 2 times per week? I thought the interval training was the most effective way to burn fat and to lose weight? I try to alternate with other videos but I just love it and would prefer interval training most days. However, if there is a specific reason I'd love to hear it! I need to be educated on this!

Traci

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here :)

Imax 1,2,3 is very high impact and jarring on the joints - especially an hours worth of jumping. Interval training is also workouts that include weight work (sometimes called circuit w/o's) like bootcamp, Cardio and weights, High step challenge, High step training advanced, step, jump, pump, etc. These are the workouts that really burn calories if you challenge yourself in the weight sections.

Intervals and Circuits are different (though even instructors confuse the terms). Intervals alternate periods of steady state cardio with periods of higher intensity intervals (like the IMAXes). Circuits consist of moving from one type of exercise to another. The term was first used when referring to moving quickly from one weight move to another on machines in a gym (which were set up in a circuit). Now, it is also used for workouts that can include both cardio and weights, and moving from one to the other.

Hi,

I understand the difference between Intervals and Circuit training, what I'm wondering about is why does Cathe say in the intro to IMAX 2 that you should only do it 1 to 2 days per week? I enjoy doing it enough to do it more than that in one week. Is it because of the impact on the joints or is there some benefit to doing it only 1 to 2 days as opposed to 3 - 4 days? (Althought that would make no sense to me, but hey, I'm just trying to educate myself!)

Traci:)

Yes Traci! I believe it is because it is so hard on your joints and if you did it every day, you'd end up injured more then likely. Doesn't Cathe also say to put at least a day or two between them? Cross training is a good way to shake up your routine by keeping the body guessing and also preventing an overuse injury. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work. (Just don't do IMax EVERYDAY! ;-))
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks Debbie! I will give it a rest! I might as well start adding the other workouts I paid for into my routine!!!!

Have a great one!
Traci

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.