Interest Poll: what is your religious background?

Nice on ice, i agree with you.
While were on the subject of God, religion, and the bible... i was wondering if perhaps someone (with knowledge of the bible) might answer a few questions i have on the subject?

1.I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into
slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21 7 What
would a good price for her be?

2. My friend insists on working on the
sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally
obligated to kill him myself, or is it OK to call the police?

3. Does the whole town really have to be
together to stone my brother Mitchel for planting different crops
side-by-side?

4. Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing
garments made from two different threads?

Hey, i'm just wondering...

These things only apply if you're jewish--for Christians, the laws have been fulfilled so you need to fast-forward to the New Testament. LOL

Michele

This is a bit OT but can anyone tell me what chapter and verse of the Bible the "Let he who is among you without sin cast the first sin" business appears in?

This has nothing to do with anything that has been said here. I'm a writer and need the reference for a piece. Thanks!!

Sparrow

>This is a bit OT but can anyone tell me what chapter and
>verse of the Bible the "Let he who is among you without sin
>cast the first sin" business appears in?
>
>This has nothing to do with anything that has been said here.
>I'm a writer and need the reference for a piece. Thanks!!
>
>Sparrow
>
>___________________
>www.scifichics.com
Can't tell you the exact place but it's in at least one of the Gospels, and I'm fairly certain it's "cast the first STONE", not "sin", but perhaps that was just a typo on your part?

Carol
:)

Gospel of John chapter 8 verse 7
I hope you'll share your piece with us when it's finished. Good luck!:)
Michele

LOL !!!!!!!!!!

Carol
:)

>While were on the subject of God, religion, and the bible... i
>was wondering if perhaps someone (with knowledge of the bible)
>might answer a few questions i have on the subject?
>
>1.I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into
>slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21 7 What
>would a good price for her be?
>
>2. My friend insists on working on the
>sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death.
>Am I morally
>obligated to kill him myself, or is it OK to call the police?
>
>
>3. Does the whole town really have to be
>together to stone my brother Mitchel for planting different
>crops
>side-by-side?
>
>4. Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for
>wearing
>garments made from two different threads?
>
>Hey, i'm just wondering...
>

Normally I wouldn't respond but you have totally taken these statements out of context with the Bible and what they pertained to. The Old Testament is written for the times in which it was, and while the basics are still true (thus the 10 Commandments) the things you have chosen to pull out are solely from the Biblical times. Times have changed and with God sending Jesus to the earth as written in the The Testament and prophecied in the Old, the applications of the Bible changed. We don't live in Biblical times nor do I live in the Middle East. While working on the Sabbath may not be ideal, no body is going to Kill you for doing so!!

Slavery was a common factor in Biblical times but not in the US or other countries (though I am sure some still have this practice), so your comment is out of context. Most of today's churches teach what is in the New Testament and use the Old Testament to show how some Old Testament contributions are still used to today, though not the ones you brought up but with regard to tithing and of course the forementioned Ten Commandments. There are also all the prophetic teaching in the Old Testaments that are shown to be true in the New.

Times change but the Bible does carry with it some tried and true deep seated meaningful messages that today's society have interpretted many different ways. While God would love all people to live in harmony and follow what He would feel is how the Bible was intended, He did give us free will to pick and choose what to believe. Satan also loves to divert peoples' beliefs in an effort to steer them away from God.

Now that I have preached a sermon, know Wayne that I always enjoy your indepth research into health issues and appreciate you taking the time to do so and to post it. But I feel that you should take an equally given amount of time and research Christianity.

Thanks for reading!

"Nancy, I hear you sister!! Going to churches with non-inclusive language make me sad and frustrated. I have had many discussions with people about this and usually agree to disagree. It is so utterly ridiculous to reduce the Creator of all and everything to genitalia!! It's wonderful that you could challenge your in-laws to look at their traditions just a little differently and ultimately have them accept you as the intelligent, compassionate woman that you obviously are."

Thanks Laurie! I couldn't agree with you more. By the way, I loved my in-laws dearly and miss them SOOOOO much. They were open-minded and accepting of other's thoughts and feelings. Just like the members of this Cathe board. :D

Ok, now I will answer the poll, I was raised in a Christian home with a pastor as my father. I was raised Presbyterian (the conservative one before the split) and stayed with it up until by college days. I then chose to attend a Charismatic church. I am a Born again Christian and have been for most of my life. I have attended non-denominational churches and now attend a Evangelical Free Church. My dh was raised a wayward Catholic but accepted Christ while we were dating and now we attend church as a family. In fact we have always attended church as a family.

I believe that God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, the Trinity and that he sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. We are all born in sin and will die in sin if we do not repent and accept the free gift that God has given us, which is Christ as our savior of our lives. Leading to an eternity is Heaven with Him.

And we also thank God continually because, when you
received the word of God, which you heard from us, you
accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually
is, the word of God, which is at work in you who
believe.

God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who
trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled,
and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus
is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his
powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know
God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They
will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut
out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty
of his power...
====================================================================
BTW, I am a Christian--I have a personal relationship with God--I am a sinner just like everyone here on this forum. I believe what the bible says about Christ, that He was born of a virgin Mary, died for our sins, and rose on the third day. I will NEVER be perfect down here on earth, but perfect in heaven. And everything that I wondered about, will be revealed in heaven. The bible, to me, was not meant to be understood fully, because if we were on the same wave length as God, there would be no need for God. God's mind is pure, sinless and holy--our minds are filled with corrupt. I believe the reason why the bible is not meant to be understood fully (by anyone, scientist, theologians and so forth, is because God wants us to continue to read His word and trying to live a holy life. God's purpose for coming here in the first place was not to condemn man, but to show man how to live. But because of one man's (Adam) sin, ALL have fallen short ofthe glory of God and we've come into the world as sinners. But repentance is a good thing. Think about it, where else is there to turn to? The world is like one HUGE room, four walls without a ceiling and NO ONE will escape the wrath of God.

Although we may not do certain things like steal, commit murder...etc., we are not exempt because we are ALL capable of doing something wrong. But it's by the grace of God that we don't. Besides we sin daily, in word, thought and deed. God has no respect of a person. He sees us all the same as filthy rags. The only reason why certain people in the bible were chosen for certain things, like the virgin Mary, was because God found favor in that person. He knew the heart, something man could never really know of another man. But because of the death of His Son, Jesus, he see the good in us, because Christ died for all our sins. Not one but all. Does this mean you can continue to do the wrong. No. Yes this world is full of corruption, but as a Christian I have an everlasting hope to look forward to.

I'm sorry for the very lengthy post. Nor am I trying to preach a sermon. These are my beliefs.

I will end here.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

Annette, of all the people who respond to things i say, threads, etc... you are the one of the few i always look out for. Once again you are dignified in your response. I thank you. And i continue, and will continue, to enjoy your posts, very, very much.
Annette, thank you.

I was born into a Congregationalist family who NEVER went to church. I have a strong belief in God that I never went to church to learn more about. 3 years ago my (now) husband & I went in search of a church to join & marry in. We joined a Church of Christ with the most wonderful Pastor (who is retiring in October). He baptised me as I never had been and married us almost 2 years ago.

Also have to add that modern Judaism does not in any way advocate slavery and/or stoning people to death! Not that anyone implied it on this forum, but I wanted to clarify the point. The Bible was for Biblical times, as I believe Annette said a few posts ago. Jewish religious leaders have debated and interpreted its meaning as it applies to "modern" life, and it has been thousands of years since those sorts of things were taken literally--at least since the destruction of the second Temple in Jerusalem, and most likely even before then--probably at the time that Jews were exiled to Babylon.

This I never understood. Using the bible to illustrate a point that is pro-christian is never out of context. But using the bible to illustrate a point that is not pro-christian is considered out of context?? How does that work??? Of course we don't live in biblical times and that is exactly why much of the bible is irrevelant to our lives.
Why is it that the notion of slavery or god's wrath upon large groups of people is not relevant but the idea of hell or Adam and Eve or satan still is?
I don't understand believing in a book that you just pick and choose what applies to you and what doesn't? So because the prophecies in the old testament don't apply to us now, we need to disregard them and the stuff in the new testament we need to pay attention to? What? Even though much of it has been changed to suit an audience or been changed through translations?
Just a thought.
Carolyn

This may be way off topic, but I find it funny that everyone here has never met George Washington, and yet if you ask who was the first President, everyone says "George Washington".....and just about everyone thinks he looks exactly like that on a dollar bill and yet everyone follow the laws of the President.....

Man loves the darkness which is way it is so hard to take Christ at His words.

If Christ revealed everything to you and answered all your questions, would you still follow Him according to his word?

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

I finally decided to post because it looks as if everyone is pretty much behaving nicely...my husband and I and our families are active memebers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. These are just a few of our beliefs:

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
We claim the priviledge of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; in deed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-- We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Lindzebird

It took me a several days to read all these posts. Marla your post brought tears to my eyes. Debbie and Haydee, and I know that there were a few others that really touched me. Thank you! I think I've been to just about every church. Ha ha. I was baptized Methodist, but my mom got remarried into a Lutheran family. So, I attended Lutheran churches (conservative) growing up. However, there were many occasions when the babysitter took me to her Baptist church. I'd go to church with my neighbors too who were Episcopalean. A few summers ago I joined a bible study through my old neighborhood and the woman who led the meetings was Born Again Christian. I loved going to those meetings. I really felt like I was making a connection. She moved. I moved. I've been to my sister's church which is non-dominational. I didn't care for their set up though.

I married into a Greek Orthodox family ten years ago. My DH and I had three children who we baptized into the Orthodox religion. For those who were wondering, the Orthodox church broke off from the Roman Catholic church way back when (sorry, don't know an exact date, but a long, long time ago). They had their differences, but to be honest the Orthodox church does remind me of the Catholic church. In some respects, Orthodox is more lenient than the Catholics, and in other respects vice versa.

I recently (July 2005) was Chrismated into the Greek Orthodox religion after ten years of deliberating about it. I didn't have to be baptized like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding because I was baptized as a baby. It really started to bother me that I couldn't take communion with my children on Sundays. Now I feel we are unified as a family, too. I still have a lot to learn about the church.

This has been an interesting thread. I'm surprised there's no other Greek Orthodox Catheites! :)

Dallas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.