Interest Poll: what is your religious background?

Boybert

Cathlete
I am always interested to find out new things about my virtual fitness friends :)

Just curious if you practice anything now, was it the same as growing up, and if you are with DH/SO/etc does it conflict? Also, children?

Me: Born & raised Jewish though not practicing. Basically mom raised my bro & I as a single parent and just never exposed us to much so the interest dwindled after bar/bat mitzvahs. My hubby is Lutheran but not interested in religion either. He, for lack of better phrasing, had a little too much as a child and lost interest himself. Now we have a son that we've decided will most likely gain exposure to both but we will not expect him to choose one or the other.

Okay...you all go!

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Interesting thread!! I was raised as Missouri Synod Lutheran (not strict) and am still Lutheran today, just not very active. My husband is also Lutheran.

Hi. I was raised Catholic, but I practice "Christian values" I would love to convert but my parents would kill me. Stupid I know. To me it doesn't matter what religion you are. It's how you serve God and treat people in this world.

Kali

Just got vacation pics added!
www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

When I was in 3rd grade I had a friend that had a back yard summer camp. I went to it and was read the bible and taught about Jesus Christ. I learned through the bible that I was a sinner. I learned that there was a God that loved us and wanted to forgive that sin. All we had to do was ask and believe that He is God. Since then I have been trying to grow as a christian (although far from perfect!) and teach my children what God's word says. We now attend an Independent Baptist Church.

Hi Debbie,

My husband and I are a real mixed bag! I was raised Catholic and attended 12 years of Catholic school. My mom was devout, my dad--not so much. I quit going to church after high school. My DH comes from a Quaker on his mom's side, Lutheran on his dad's side kind of a background but was not raised in any church. My DH and I were born again in the early eighties and attended a non-denominational church for many years, but we both quit going to church when we moved about 11 years ago. We often talk about finding a new church but we just haven't gotten around to it. No kids except for the four-legged variety.

Michele

Wasn't really raised IN a christian home, parent weren't really going to church, but had when I was little. They got serious about their faith after I got married.
I am pentecostal, hubby isn't, I became a christian in Oct. 94... hubby isn't yet....
However, I love to wear jeans and t-shirts, and I do wear make-up on occasion, and I do color my hair, it is blonde now...

Rhonda

My mom is Catholic. My dad (God rest his soul) was Jewish. Neither were very religious but decided we kids would be raised as Catholics so we were Baptised and sent to CCD to make our First Holy Communions and Confirmations. After that were allowed to do with our religion as we saw fit. I honestly have never really been a Church goer. I went before I got married because we were getting married at a Catholic Church so they expected to see us there on Sundays prior. I have recently started going again because of my son's upcoming Baptism...I just feel that we SHOULD attend Masses since they are Christening our son for us. I think DH would like to go on a regular basis but he never pushes the issue so we never go. I'd go with him if he wanted to but left on my own, it just doesn't happen....Obviously our son is being raised a Catholic and I will send him to CCD as my mom and DH's parents did for us but once DS makes his confirmation, he also will be left to do as he sees fit when it comes to religion....

I was raised Catholic but I am not a true Catholic, I have my issues with the Catholic church's teaching, I prefer non denominational churches, my favorite group, not a church is the Science of Mind founded by Ernerst Holmes, Christianity without the guilt. A sin is nothing but a mistake, etc.

I was raised a Southern Baptist and have attended Southern Baptist until about 9 years ago (with the exception of a few years in the 80's at an independent baptist). I changed churches and demoninations. I am now Lutheran (Missouri Synod). I prefer the Lutheran church. Nine years ago the baptist church I was attending had a lot of infight and split. I was so fed up, I started going to a Lutheran church. DH was raised methodist and doesn't go to church now. I took my two children to church myself. My son hasn't attended since he came home from the army in May. He and his wife are building their house now beside a baptist church so I have hope. He still prefer baptist. My daughter still attends the lutheran church. BTW, Charlotte - I'm a Republican too.:)

I was Catholic up until 3rd grade, and then Pentecostal/Protestant ever since.

DH was raised Baptist, but his church/pastor was a bit too harsh/judgmental in his opinion. He was actually afraid of him when he was younger. The way the pastor yelled really scared him. So, he doesn't care for it anymore, but still holds on to his beliefs.

Both of us believe that Jesus is Son of God and that He died for our sins, so it's not really an issue with us. :)

I was raised Eastern Orthodox but I'm no longer practicing. I suppose I will join a church when (if) I have children to give them some structure but currently, I'm more spiritual than religious.

However, I am a HUGE fan of Joel Osteen and Lakewood Church and I watch him weekly. Very motivational! And he's got great hair!

Christine

Well, I grew up in an irreligous home yet turned out to be the most religous person in my family. I don't currently attend church but I have an abiding faith in God. I love love love to study Biblical history. (Barnes and Noble has these great lectures on DVD. I'm currently listening to the history of Jerusalem). I don't tell my children what to believe but I hope that my life reflects my faith.

As for my husband, he grew up in a mormon environment. His father was raised mormon but his mother was not. His father is an evolutionist who taught anthropology at Utah State. My DH felt that the mormon evironment was very opressive and as a result has thrown the baby out with the bath water. He thinks that when it comes to religous stuff he's the intellectual and I have my head in the clouds. I don't care though. He's a good man and I'm glad that God saw fit to provide me with a great husband! (That's my way of having the last laugh!)

I like your take on it, Elaine!

I am a Christian. I am happy to say I attend a nice church. It is Christian Reform. Very much Bible based. I read the Pilgrim's Progress on my pastor's recommendation last year and understood (most of) it and loved it.

I didn't have much religious background. I remember growing up my Grandma was Mormon. I always have had a strong belief in God. My DH was raised Lutheran but not strict. We got married in a Lutheran church. In July 2001 My DH and I were both baptized in a beautiful lake here instead of in the church. We are both Seventh Day Adventists...and I join Charlotte and Jane as a Republican...:)...Carole

Elaine,
I book I think you would enjoy is The God Makers by Ed Decker and Dave Hunt. My realtor borrowed my copy and is "holding it hostage" , she likes it so much.

My mom Catholic... my dad Christian who converted to Catholicism in 1994. DH converted before we were married. I am a cradle Catholic with many years of non-Catholic choices/lifestyle, BUT a post on this forum and events over the course of a few months (my mother's death part of that) inspired a "reversion" to Catholicism. My children are both baptised and will be raised Catholic.

Autumn

I was raised to be a Christian, but ever since the release of the Da Vinci Code (book by Dan Brown), I have been questioning it. Right now, I am trying to frequent the Eckankar religious meetings. It is a religion which deals with the light and sound of God. It somewhat culminates all religions.

I was raised Catholic and my family are somewhat strict catholics. I do not agree with some of the practices Catholics do but I do have a very, very strong belief and faith in God and his son. My husband is a Lutheran but his parents are not religious. Lazy people is what they are. Not because of religion, just in general. His uncle is a minister for the Army and a church so it's nice to have dinner with him and his wife at times. My children are being raised as catholics but not strictly. BTW Charlotte, I'm a republican, too.

Hi Dani, how are you doing?? Hope all is well with you. (((HUG)))

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.