Insomniacs, please help a desperate sista out!

morningstar

Cathlete
Okay, after the millionth night lately with no sleep, I gotta ask: does anyone know of a prescription or non-prescription sleeping pill that will get you to sleep and then keep you there the whole night, then let you wake up refreshed and ready to go? And as a bonus, isn't too likely to get me dependant? And double bonus, I don't have to take it every night?

My issue is mostly waking up continually thoughout the night, sometimes for an hour or two and just not being able to get back to sleep. A great night's sleep for me is 6.5 hours, no matter how much time I'm actually in bed, and it's actually a pretty rare event.

Melatonin gets me to sleep but doesn't keep me there. Valerian, skull cap, etc. does nothing for me. Years ago I was on tryptophan and if I missed falling asleep within 15 minutes of taking it, it did nothing and I had to take it every night. Warm milk? :rolleyes:

I know it sounds like sleep apnea, but I don't have it -and yes, I've been tested recently.

I will be asking my doctor these questions next week, but I'm hoping that people can tell me about their personal experiences with sleep medications - good and bad - to save me some time in finding the right one.

I've always been a poor sleeper, since I was a small child. This is affecting my workouts, my work and my quality of life. I would prefer not to be on sleep or any other medication, but I gotta get my life back.

God, it sucks, doesn't it? I go through periods of exactly what you're describing. Sometimes I feel that my insomnia is anxiety related--but other times there doesn't seem to be a connection.
I haven't been on prescription medications for it. I've used Tylenol PM, Simply Sleep (which was recalled, so I quickly tossed that bottle and haven't gone back), and the Target brand of some type of sleeping pill.

Some of those have worked, but they mostly just do what you're describing.

Lately I have changed my diet quite a bit, and I am sleeping much, much better.
I've stopped eating meat and pre-packaged foods. I've cut out white sugar and most bread, though I do occasionally have Ezekiel Bread. I've way upped my intake of a variety of rices, lentils, quinoa and beans, and I eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies. I rarely have dairy (have replaced cow's milk with Almond milk and occasionally soy milk in my smoothies; I eat a tiny morsel of good quality cheese from grass-fed cows once or twice a week--and it tastes delicious).
I don't know which dietary change I can hold responsible for the improvement in my sleep, or if it's the combined effect of some or all of the changes. I didn't notice a difference in my sleep by cutting out the meat. I've been mostly dairy free for about a month now, and I have a feeling that might be the trick. I am feeling generally calmer and less anxious. I feel light and energized, too.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out my experience. If someone had told me to do this to fix my sleep, I wouldn't have done it. Way too much work, i would have thought. I am doing this for other health (mine and animals' !) and environmental reasons--but the bonus of being able to fall asleep easily and remain asleep is an unbelievably wonderful one!

Good luck in finding something that will work for you.

Wendy

I know it may seem obvious, but have you removed caffeine from your diet? I was sensitive to it and it got worse as I got older. some of us don't metabolize cafeine quickly so if I have any it hangs around and disrupts sleep 12 hours later. Coffee, tea, soda - not just colas, energy drinks etc. I can have a tiny amount early in the morning but later than that and it will disturb my sleep.

Ihave the same type of sleep issues that come and go. tylenol PM or advil PM work well for me and don't make you feel hung over or groggy. tylenol= acetominophen, advil= ibuprofen both benadryl added. you can take OTC benadryl(diphenhydramine) by itself too but the combo seems to work better.

I wish I could help you, but I am in a similar boat. I fall asleep easily, however I am awake almost every hour. And to make matters worse I wake up hungry so I head to the kitchen for a snack!

I have tried increasing my calories during the day, loading them in the morning, loading them at night, balancing throughout the day...nothing seems to help. I try to stick to a vegan diet consisting of mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and some whole grains.

I think perhaps my problems are anxiety related also - the foods I want upon waking at night are carbs, carbs and more carbs - kind of like I am self medicating.

I am hoping someone will have some advice for you (and me too :))

Corrie

I use a homeopathic lozenge called Moon Drops, I get it at the health food store but it's also available many places online. It's a mint, what usually happens is I can't get to sleep, I finally decide to take a Moon Drop (since it's homeopathic it has about 1 billionth of a dose of the various herbs so it's completely safe but I was brought up not to "take anything" so I have to always talk myself into it) - I lie in bed while the Moon Drop is dissolving in my mouth, I think it's not working because I still feel totally alert, then right after it finishes dissolving....lights out and I wake up the next morning. My husband also finds it works really well. It might be worth a try.

I have had insomnia problems, too, for the last two years. It started when I came down with mono and sent into the extreme zone when I was given prednisone to deal with some of the mono symptoms. In my case, it is very much anxiety related. Unfortunately, I became dependent on Valium on and off for the last two years. I just weaned myself off for a third time two months ago.

Anyway, a few things that have worked for me:

1) UV blocking yellow glasses at night. Here is a short article on it: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/This+...nsomnia+improves+digestion+and...-a0214710710 The idea is that all of the light we expose ourselves to after dark inhibits the production of melatonin and over time our bodies just stop producing as much as we need. The pineal gland thinks it's daylight all of the time and doesn't release the big dose of melatonin needed to fall asleep. The absence of constant bright (outside bright) lights enter our eyes during the day also mess up this cycle, so I will be adding a light box to my regime soon. The doctor who told me to start using these said that the effects are cumulative, so that even if I feel as though they're not working, they will work over time. I have found that after a few weeks of wearing them, I am sleepier at bedtime. Things improve after that. My glasses are the huge ones that fit over my prescription glasses. I look like a fool, but, whatever.

2) Calm Magnesium drink. I take some right before bed. I started taking it about a month ago for constipation issues (works like a dream), but found that it really, really calms me for sleep. I take a much larger dose than indicated on the bottle, as recommended by my doctor. He said it's virtually impossible to overdose on magnesium, so whatever makes my digestive system move is what I need to take. When I ran out of the Magnesium bottle, I started using the one with Calcium added. I'm not sure I like it much and I will be switching back the next time to compare. I don't feel the same calmness with the calcium formula. And get the flavored ones!! Much more pleasant. It's not sweetened with crap, but it tastes better.

3) Sleep Release tablets: http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/sleeplessness-solution.html
Once again, the doctor who recommended these told me to take up to 10 tablets (and that they should be chewed! Gross, but it makes a difference) a couple of hours before bedtime. I prefer to take them an hour or less before. They aren't as dramatic as sleeping pills, but when used over time with the glasses, I feel I'm sleeping better.

4) When all else fails, Ambien. I prefer the Valium, because I am a very anxious person, but they are extremely addictive and I have to be careful. When I want to conk myself out, I take Ambien. Unfortunately, it will only work on me once or twice in a row. After that, they do not put me to sleep at all and I lie awake in bed, half-paralyzed and feeling like dog crap. These, too, you should take right before bed. If you miss your window, you might not fall asleep.

Good luck. Insomnia is really one of the worst things.

Oh, I do also find that minding my diet and exercise matters. I sleep much better when I'm working out regularly. Unfortunately, when I'm tired I lose my motivation to workout and that becomes a vicious cycle all it's own. I also find including yoga makes a HUGE difference. (I actually need to add more of that back in). I too tend to be a bit anxious and the minute the lights go out, I go into full worry/overthinking mode. That's where the Ambien helps because it quiets my freakin' brain. Good luck. I, too, have been an insomniac most of my life and it sucks!!

I wear a sleep mask to block out all light.

I'd also second (or third?) the recommendations for Moon Drops and Calms Magnesium (though not necessarily both at the same time!)

I started having this while pregnant w/ my second 6 years ago. The pregnancy had triggered "depression" which is in my family. I used "" because in me I wasn't depressed. Just irritated, falling asleep but waking up at 2 a.m. ... Anyway, long story short I now have Rx for Ambien and Lunesta. I've tried Ambien CR but liked the regular better. I don't take them every night. And when I do sometimes it's a whole or maybe half. I found Benadryl made me groggy and hung-over feeling the whole next day. The perscriptions I've loved. But like I said not every day because I don't want to get hooked. But after however many nights of not sleeping it does wonders to finally get a great night's sleep.

Hi Morningstar,

In addition to the other suggestions that people have offered, have you tried acupuncture? I've been going to a great acupuncturist to treat my migraines, and she's also been helping me with insomnia/stress. I've had no problems sleeping (and no migraines!) since going to her again for these two issues. It might be a good non-drug alternative to try. :)

I have always been an absolutely terrible sleeper my entire life, and I always felt awful the day after a sleepless night. I finally realized that I had to see a doctor or a psychiatrist who could help me, and I think that a medical professional might be able to help you. There are prescription drugs that are not addictive that you can take, and eventually I had to do that.

I had tried everything Valerian, Melatonin, and Tylenol PM, and, in the end, nothing worked. PM me if you want to chat about it. I have started working out again after a long period of sloth.

You are lucky that your doctor gives you Valium, because mine will give me nothing but Klonopin, which isn't as good. I am also a very anxious person.

You are lucky that your doctor gives you Valium, because mine will give me nothing but Klonopin, which isn't as good. I am also a very anxious person.

Well, Valium is quite dangerously addictive, so they are very careful. I've had the same bottle for months and months and months and I only use them now when I fly (TERRIFIED of flying) and the occasional severe panic attack. Valium works in the very short term, but long-term it actually starts to perpetuate the very symptoms it's supposed to help with.

I think my doctor gives me Klonpin because it is the least addictive. Xanax helps a great deal, but my doctor won't give it to me. I am just a worrywart and a nervous nelly. Smiles.

Hi folks,

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. I will speak to my doctor about what he recommends, but in the meantime, I know a ton of traditional Chinese medicine practitioners who practice acupuncture as well as herbology and one of them gave me a prescription for Tian Wang Bu Xin, a Chinese herb that I will try after my current cold goes away (you can't take it if you aren't healthy). I am also going to try Moon Drops, but they aren't available here, so I'm ordering them from Drugstore.com.

I do love acupuncture and it is very relaxing, but it is a bit pricey just to get some sleep! Excellent for pain relief and I strongly recommend it for that. I have a wonderful TCM practitioner who is an amazing acupuncturist that I go to for fixing me up when needed.

Do you remember when you were a child, and you went to bed and slept the entire time until you woke up totally refreshed in the morning? Is that gone forever? Do any adults actually experience that?

Do you remember when you were a child, and you went to bed and slept the entire time until you woke up totally refreshed in the morning? Is that gone forever? Do any adults actually experience that?

Actually, I never had that even as a small child. My earliest memories are of having a hard time going to sleep and waking up in the middle of the night. I've always been a sleep talker too.

Hi--
Another fellow insomniac here... I know where you are coming from and I feel for ya!!!

I still haven't figured out the perfect answer, but I do notice that when I'm not eating many carbs and I'm on a caloric deficit, I don't sleep as well.

I've tried several prescription, natural remedies, and over the counter products, but for me, they either make me really groggy ( ambien, Tylenol PM) or don't work.

What works the best for me and I'm sad to admit it since I don't want to have to take it, is Xanax. I only use it when I'm REALLY desperate ( you know to the point where the world is foggy, you're nauseous, and you feel like you are going to weep you are so tired!). I'll take one and then somehow it almost resets my sleep pattern and I'm back to feeling normal again.

I just came off a really bad bout of it, but after on night my "little magic pill" I'll be good to go for awhile.

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.