Input on others suggestions for upcoming STS video display

Osutxgirl

Cathlete
1.) I personally don't like the idea of a clock countdown, or showing time remaining. I will buy the product either way, but I concentrate too much on the time left, versus just enjoying the workout. Perhaps a stop watch style for rested, but I don't see that its needed, we have Cathe for that. :) I know many people seem to like a count down clock, and it's hard to please everyone, this is just my preference.

2.) I also don't see a need for a preview of the upcoming exercise unless Cathe just doesn't want to take the time to explain it. If there were no words, like in other YouTube videos, I could see the need, but unless it's used as a time saver I could just see this taking the editing process to a whole new time consuming level, and possible impact the use of premixes.

I'm super excited for this new program. So far it looks fantastic!!

Just my input.

Interesting question ... I rely so much on my individualized worksheets that it doesn't really matter to me. I don't always use Cathe's weight selection. I'm so dependent on those worksheets that I'm thinking of building a small/easily moved pedestal for my clipboard ... ha ha hahaha

Osutxgirl, I don't care for a timer either. I like to focus on my workout. The countdowns are helpful to me when doing HIIT or things when I need to mentally tell myself I can do it - only 3 seconds left or that type of thing. For regular workouts, though, I find timers cause me to start planning the rest of my day while working out. I end up not pushing myself as hard and I don't get the mental benefits that come from working out and taking the time to care for myself, because I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing for other people (work, my family, etc.) It took me years to realize that I can't take care of others if I don't care of myself, but those old habits slip back in if I'm not careful. Countdown clocks seem to be a "trigger" for my old habit of neglecting myself.

I do like the words at the bottom of a screen that tell me what the next exercise is though. It helps me to get my equipment set up (add risers, grab dumbbells, throw hot pads (my cheap knee/elbow/hip/etc. cushions:) on top of my workout mat, etc. without having to stop the video. I have a medical condition that causes me to get dizzy when I change from sitting to standing, lying on back to hands and knees, etc.), so I also like to know the exercise/moves in advance so that I have those additional few seconds to move my body into a new position at a speed (snail's pace) that works for my body. I even keep my dumbbells and other equipment at waist level in order to limit the amount of times that I have to squat or bend to pick things up to help limit the dizzy spells, which will result in my passing out if I don't pay close attention to my body. I usually have to stop a video several times to accommodate for my body's needs, but without advance notice of what the next exercise is going to be, I can end up having to stop the video dozens of times, which adds time to my workout as well as interferes with the flow and any cardio factor that I would have gotten.

I'm always happy with Cathe's workouts. Everybody has different preferences, and it's impossible to meet everybody's ideal all the time. I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in since the topic came up, but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever choices she makes. She consistently produces the best workouts and is the best instructor (IMO), and that's why I workout with her. STS 2.0 will be a great workout with a great instructor, so if there are 1 or 2 little things that aren't my favorite way of doing something, I'll still be getting as high a quality of workout as I can get in the comfort of my own home. Can't beat that! :)

I do like the words at the bottom of a screen that tell me what the next exercise is though.
Oh me too! Esp since there will be rests.

Everybody has different preferences, and it's impossible to meet everybody's ideal all the time
Very true!

I'm super excited about this series and LOVE all the pics and info we've been getting!

Although it is very helpful to know what Cathe's weight is, having premixes of various lengths and the ability to turn off music and just hear Cathe is all that concerns me as far as DVD features.

Braille I had the same problem of getting dizzy when I stand up I started taking salt tablets and now I do not get dizzy when I get up from a lying or sitting position

... Although it is very helpful to know what Cathe's weight is, having premixes of various lengths and the ability to turn off music and just hear Cathe is all that concerns me as far as DVD features.
[/QUOTE]
I forgot that option of turning off the music. There's only a couple of DVDs I use it for but it's a workout saver as I find the music so annoying I probably would never do the workout if I couldn't turn off the music. So. Yes, I'd still want the option of being able to turn off the music.

I like knowing what the next exercise is too. I don't mind the counter or the music as I find I can just tune them out and focus on the workout and what I am doing. I know not everyone can do that though. When I'm really focused on something I can even tune out the phone ringing. I also get dizzy if I stand up too fast and get like gold specks dancing around my vision. I've never felt like I was going to pass out though.

Braille I had the same problem of getting dizzy when I stand up I started taking salt tablets and now I do not get dizzy when I get up from a lying or sitting position
Yeah, the doctors had me try that until they figured out my actual diagnosis. After diagnosing me with Neurally mediated syncope they tried putting me on the medications that help most people with the condition, but I had a severe allergic reaction to one, and the other dropped my blood pressure so low that the medication itself was causing me to pass out. The condition showed up a few times during my pregnancy, but I didn't think much of it. Then, in my late 20s, it got where I was passing out 7 to 8 times a day. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then, one time I evidently passed out in the right place at the right time. I was in public and a lady that suffers from the same thing told me to tell my doctor I need a tilt table test. I did, and they were finally able to diagnose me. Unfortunately, because of my medication issues, they weren't able to help me. I did a lot of research (before the internet was big enough to be of much use) and was able to figure out my triggers. It took me years to learn how to avoid triggers, make adaptations, and control my body's response, and get back to living a normal life. I use strategies very similar to what's involved with biofeedback. It works, and I was doing fine until this year. My menopause has taken an unexpected turn that has made it hard for me to read my own body right now. I've been trying to listen to my body, but it's throwing a temper tantrum right now. My body certainly isn't listening to me. So, I'm pretty much stuck with "babying" my condition until I figure out how to get it back under control. It's been playing havoc with my exercise routine, but I'm trying to be patient with myself and very flexible with my current exercise goals.

A vote here for timers.

I like having a timer for how much longer there is in a segment. It gives me an incentive to push harder toward the end knowing that the pain will soon be over. I also like knowing how much time I have during rests to get my metrics written down on my workout sheet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.