Injury-Recovery Advice!

Cosmo Mom

Cathlete
A few weeks ago I was doing the B&G abs section doing the weighted oblique twists with weighted ankles raised one at a time. Well, I felt kind of weak in my left side so I figured you know, I'm stopping early with that before I hurt myself... Well, a couple days later I really felt pain in my back and got spasms:( so I went to the chiropractor a couple of times to have some relief. He said I pulled some muscle (the one you usually use for shoveling).

I took time off from working out because EVERYTHING I did bothered it. Couldnt use weights, jump around..you get the picture. Then, I started getting back into working out slowly. Long story short, I was dieing to do a kickbox workout and got through it fine. Next day, I was back to square one with pain so now working my way through it again (3rd day..no workouts:mad:)

Does anyone have recommendations on how else to speed up this recovery? I'm taking Aleve which helps, heating pad at night and not working out.

Thanks guys - this is killing me not working out!!

Sorry to hear about your pain Cheryll. The only other thing I would say is ice as well. No magic answer but I can tell you it has taken me a very long time to get it through my thick head that REST is truly needed at times. I have been there (not with that type of injury) & I can tell you it is better to take the needed time off now that make it longer by pushing yourself.

Hopefully someoen else can give you advice specific to your injury. Hope you feel better soon! :D

One more thing when I have been down like that I use that time to really focus on my eating.

Thanks Maynards Mom. Yea, no magic bullet I know.

I agree with you on the eating part - I've been really watching what I eat since that's all I can control at this point. I've maintained my weight all month so I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I'm even going to make my husband eat all vegetarian meals next week just for the fun of it. He hasn't balked..yet :p

PS - I see you are from New York - anywhere near Rochester area? That's where I'm from.

Somewhat I guess. We are just over the PA line - Savona. Very small town near Corning?Elmira area. It's about 1 hr 15 min to Rochester (exit 13) for us. We do get up that way once in a while. Is that where you are? Rochester?

I know where Savona is. I'm in Farmington which is a small town closer to Canandaigua/Victor than to Rochester.

Holy Smokes!! :eek: I can't believe you know where Savona is !! We are so small. Of course I know where Canandaigua is. We usually go to Roseland every summer. Exciting, a fellow cathlete so close!!! :D

Are you on FB? if so look me up Tami Sheard Salisbury

Moist Heat is always the best remedy for sore muscles such as back pain ( from what our Dr. say's) I went in several months ago after pulling a muscle in my back. I was on ibuprofen 800's, a muscle relaxer and a HOT tub every 3 hrs. was on my meds for 2 days when I felt 100% better. At least TRY the moist heat ( tub OR heating pad that does both) and see if that works:( I hope you feel better soon Cosmo ;)

Thanks Jessica. I did do the heating pad for over a week, finally went in hot tub last night (so freezing cold in NY!!). I also did the Aleve. I think I would have benefited from muscle relaxer but figured I would have to go to Doc and didn't want to bother with it.

Starting to do a little each day, trying to stay away from obliques/kick boxing/anything strenuous:mad:

All I know is I cant wait to feel 100% so I can kick some a** in kickbox!!:p

Oh I know how you feel!! Its hard not being able to work out when you've been on a good roll!! I also wanted to mention that, when I went to the dr's for my back, I was told that by applying a heating pad to my back, I was actually tightening up my inured muscle :confused: That kind of shocked me because That is the 1st thing we grab for when we injure ourselves. I hope that helps. Keep positive, it WILL get better!! ;)

road to recovery

I'm happy to report that even though I'm not 100% yet (maybe 90??:eek:), I was finally able to do some workouts - GS Legs, then Intensity Step w/Lo moves. That's a huge improvement for me!

Can't wait till I can start my Kickmax and other hard workouts soon!

One thing I did to help me through this non-exercise time is really laser-focus on what I eat. There are definitely stages of eating:

pretty healthy
very healthy
extremely healthy

I've been eating extremely healthy, recording everything I put in my mouth, staying at around 1300-1400 calories (lil more on weekends ;)) and I maintained my weight all month.

Thanks for all your input!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.