I'm falling apart - I have to vent!

SRP

Cathlete
All right. I've about had it with my stupid joints, bones, ligaments... first, let me say that while I am venting, I also hope you all can give me some ideas about how I can work around my many little problems! So bear with me while I list them all.

The Knee: I can't run, and I can't do barbell squats. I do squats against the wall using the ball, which works okay. BUT... now it's acting up when I use my elliptical trainer. This is not good because the elliptical is very important right now. You'll see why below.

The Shin: I have a stress fracture. This happened sometime last year, and I followed doctor's orders and got his okay to resume my regular activity. But now it's back. I've converted as many of Cathe's workouts to low impact as I can, but it's still not quite enough. That's why I need the elliptical.

The wrist: The tendon or whatever that goes from the thumb to the wrist can't tolerate full weight or being bent back, like when the hands are flat on the floor to do push-ups or pikes. I can work around this but am not thrilled about it.

Okay, I guess those are the main issues. What would you do? I've considered taking a week off, but I expect I need more. The problem with that is that working out helps to relieve so much stress and kinks, etc., after sitting all day at work.

Thanks for putting up with this long post, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Maybe a month off! You deserve it. Your body is telling you something very loud and clear. Please listen!

Okay, so I have a couple ideas for you my dear!

1. Only do elliptical every other day. Really, *any* cardio can wear you down if you do it more than that. (Especially when you are injured already!!)

2. The stress fracture is a barometer for you. Listen to it; it will get better, but only if you ease off when you start to feel it. (shoot for 20 min of Cathe every other day, then increase from there)

3. Pushup bars. (Or 15-20lb dumbbells)

4. YOGA

5. If you have KM, I'd do the leg drills at least 2 times a week, and shoot for 3 times a week.

6. More sleep.

I didn't say they would seem like *good* ideas... :p

>The wrist: The tendon or whatever that goes from the thumb to
>the wrist can't tolerate full weight or being bent back, like
>when the hands are flat on the floor to do push-ups or pikes.
>I can work around this but am not thrilled about it.

You can also try doing push-ups on your fists, which keeps your wrists from bending. But for now, you might do best to avoid any bent-wrist moves or variations at all, and just do chest presses and the like.

As for the rest, it's easier to avoid these problems by cross training, alternating upper and lower body focus every other day, and not overtrainig than to deal with them once you have them, which is very frustrating.

Some other types of exercise equipment might be helpful as you rehab (which is pretty much what you have to do now): a rowing machine might work well, as can stationary biking without standing moves (or even on-road biking, though with stationary biking, you can better control the tension and won't suddenly be faced with a tough-to-climb hill that may be too much for your knee). Biking is also sometimes used to rehab knee problems. Is there any place you can have access to this equipment?

Once you get back into a more regular workout program, I highly recommend taking the impact down from what you were previously doing (which caused the shin and knee problems in the first place), varying the type of cardio you do (not doing step on consecutive days, and not more than 2-4 times a week: whatever your body can tolerate, start with 2 and see how that works).

For the knee, workouts like TLT's or other functional fitness types workouts can help strengthen the stabiliziing muscles around the knee.

Shannon, I have no advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm sooooo sorry you are going thru this. {{{{{{{{{{{SHANNON}}}}}}}}}}}}}

All I can offer, knowing absolutely nothing about it, is that my Mom and all her friends go to something called..I think...a physiologist? for joint, lower back, and other issues. I don't even know if your ailments are in the same category, but they all seem to think this guy is some kind of miracle worker. They say he also works with athletes, that he does exercises with them, and doesn't use drugs at all. Might be something worth looking into?

One more hug: {{{{{{{{{{{{SHANNON}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry that you are feeling such pain. Your body is being very frank with you; something is not working.

I second Kathryn's suggestion on Tracie Long's 4 new functional fitness DVD's. They are deceptively effective and very joint friendly. You may want to look at Anna Benson's FitPrime's; specifically Metaboost and Pump. The two mentioned are very functional workouts and the slow burn you get in them is surprising.

Yoga and pilates, yoga and pilates, yoga and pilates................

My favorite instructor at my gym just tore her hamstring buttock muscle and is now out of commission for a while. She is the classic example of high impact and over training. I find myself struggling with not overtraining and doing way to much intense cardio. I need to reevalutate my workouts too.

Good luck and please be kind to yourself.

Gave you my input of the weights for push ups as mentioned above.

For the legs - can you do lunges without weight? I find that very exhausting to the muscles and also cardio.

Also find that many of Cathe's new workouts exhaust my legs by repetition without weights, ie the one where you just lunge forward, squat to the side, lunge backwards, and repeat.

And whenever I have had knee or hip issues, I try to strengthen the area as best as possible using lighter weights (or none at all) and high reps.

Good luck ;-)

Thanks so much, everyone!

First, let me clarify about my w/o schedule. I don't do cardio every day - it's been 3x a week for some time now, unless I do a circuit on one of my weight days, then it's 4x. I always give myself one complete day of rest, too.... this is just so you don't think I'm killing myself with cardio.

Phyllis - I don't know how to swim. :eek: So that's kind of out.

Eminenz- A month????? *GASP* I am still thinking about time off though...

Ame - I prefer to do the elliptical just once a week, actually, and use other cardio, including kickboxing, to switch things up. I've been using the elli more lately though due the recuring fracture. Sigh. I do have KM though! I hate yoga. Sorry. More sleep sounds like a fine idea though. Can you tell my boss I'll be in late to work? ;)

Kathryn - My area isn't very biker friendly, but I have used it in the past when I need a different form of cardio. I may check into the gym in our office building and see what it offers. And as I've said, I have converted almost all of my cardio routines to low impact, so believe me, I'm trying!!!

Nancy - thanks for the hugs! Do you mean a physiatrist? I think that's what they call docs who do rehab work, and yes, the ones I know of are very good.. and very expensive... I think I'll try a few at-home things first.

Paxy - yes, my body doesn't work very well, that's for sure! LOL.

Maybe this will help with the wrist thing....

I had a similar problem with my wrists two years ago, (it is still a little touchy at times) and it really hurt my ability to do yoga. I tried the push-up bars and weights that people suggest, but they were uncomfortable on the palms of my hands. Finally, my mom gave me a pair of Grip-It's for Christmas, and they are perfect! I can hold a lot of weight on my wrists for pretty long periods of time without any pain or strain. I believe they are a little pricey, but to me worth every penny!

Also, have you thought of/ tried deep-water running or other water aerobics?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{CUZ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

It looks like you've been given some pretty good advice already -- I just wanted to give you a big squeezy hug and I hope you're feeling better real soon. Gosh, I wonder if your new job is causing some of the problems with your wrists. Maybe you should try a brace and see if that helps any. Don't despair -- things will get better in time. :*

I went through something similar recently. I had to drop all high impact, kick boxing, and step in order to heal up my hip joints. I have bersitis(sp?) due to over use of high impact. It's been a struggle to totally change my routine, but I have now gotten into a "new groove". It's been about 8 weeks. I use an elliptical now for all cardio except for a low impact step routine once every week or two. Kickboxing is out of the question. I mix up my cardio with light weight workouts once or twice a week. I felt like a total wimp for a long time;(. I miss Cathe, too. So I throw in a DVD a couple times a week and just do what I can. Today I did the lower body work out on Timesaver. It was harder than usual, but I got through it.

My choice was simple. Keep doing what I was doing and suffer misery all day, all night in my hips or back off, heal up and not suffer.

It was hard! But eventually I chose to change it up and I do feel 90% better. Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon!

Sally

All right. I've decided. I'm going to have a non-cardio week. Weight work seems okay, as long as I leave out anything that puts a lot of weight on my wrist and I have to do something!!! :7

Thanks everyone, for the hugs and good, sound advice. I really appreciate all of you!

I sooo understand your frustration. I have ostheoarthritis (sp?) in my knees. I can no longer can use heavy weights for lower body work. On my lazy days I'm happy because it means I don't have to work as hard but on the days when I'd like a challenge, I get mad and depressed and begin to lose motivation. When I exercise my lower body my knees are constantly crackling and I hate that sound. Forward lunges are pretty much a thing of the past, especially with weights. Sometimes I can tolerate high impact cardio, sometimes I can't. I've begun taking an Aleve every day and that helps some. Before I began taking it, there were days when I literally had to crawl up the stairs.

My wrists aren't the greatest in the world, either. When I do pushups, I put two dumbbells on the floor and grab onto them instead of laying my hands flat on the floor.

I think it all comes down to listening to your body. It will tell you what it can take and what it can't. Also, talking to your doctor is a great idea. Good luck!

You need to rest - try 3 weeks then slowly reintroduce cardio and the 4th week add some weight training. I would also recommend using a stationary bike for your knee - though elliptical machines are considered lower impact they still produce quite a bit of impact on your joints, any Physical therapists will agree.

One of the other trainers that I work with is paying the price for not resting - she's an ultra marathoner and has a 3rd degree hamstring tear but she just couldn't stop running despite dr's orders(that's a whole other issue with her exercise addiction), now she's torn her other hamstring and she's forbidden to do anything but light swimming. If she had just taken the time to let her body heal she'd only be dealing w/ one tear. In the grand scheme of things you are an extremely fit person, a few weeks off is not going to undo any of that - in fact, it will make you stronger. If you can't bear to not do anything just focus on core and stretching for those few weeks.

Good luck!

Shannon, you've gotten great advice. I just wanted to add my HUG and best wishes. Injuries are the pits! I am dealing with an injury right now and it is noooo fun. You feel as if you'll never be "normal" again. Thinking of you! Hang in there.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Stacey - I just wanted to send a little sympathy your way! I'm so sorry you have to deal with osteoarthritis! I can't imagine the pain or frustration you must have. And I admire you for sticking with a workout program, and making it work for you.

Curly - thanks - the last thing I want to do is overtrain! I know a person similar to the woman you described. When I think about people like that, who seriously injure themselves.... well, it does make me take a step back and think, that yes, I do know when to stop. I'm stopping now! For a little while, at least.

Debbie - I'm wishing you a speedy recovery! Take care!

Okay, I'm not surprised you can't stand yoga! :p I'm thinking less impact, and maybe more strengthening without stressing your joints... so maybe something like this?
http://www.budokon.com/ I do this on days I'm not up to Cathe. I also have a new workout called "No Equipment Necessary" http://scwfitness.com/indexStore.ph...Griffiths-Fable&subjectQuery=&prodWordsQuery=
Neither of these are "easy", but they are pretty fast and you don't need shoes. :+

And feel free to keep living vicariously as we sweat! :p (I also think that maybe adding in the strength moves like KM leg drills would be great; maybe try them without shoes on as well so you are recruiting stabilizer muscles in your knees, etc.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.