I'm embarrassed to ask this

sunshinegirl

Cathlete
Are there any other sweaters out there? It's a good thing that I workout at home because I would be very embarrassed to literally be dripping wet in a gym. I'm not sure if this is normal. I do exercise in my garage but it could be winter and I still sweat (and steam LOL)

It only seems to be getting worse as I get more fit. Can this be? I know it's a cooling system for your body but dang! I think I only have to be thinking about exercising and I start to sweat.

I was working out with a friend for awhile and even though she was heavy she never would sweat. She would always comment on how sweaty I got, especially my hair.

Just this morning, during GSL, I was dripping on my step doing the deadlifts. Am I the only one who actully drips during a workout? I feel like a freak....a very sweaty, wet freak :eek:

I'm usually a puddle after a Cathe workout, even her weight workouts get me going, there is always a puddle beneath my feet when finished, I usually have to towel off before beginning any stability ball work or else I'll slide right off it...been there, done that!

To me, nothing feels more satisfying then when the water starts coming, I know I'm working hard, and look forward to a loonnggg shower when finished.

No, you are not alone in this regard. I just finished Pyramid Lower Body today, and I was soaked..happy, but soaked!!

I had to change shirts halfway through my workout this morning because the first one was completely soaked through. I mean completely. Like, I could wring it out and it would have a watered a plant. It's repulsive. It's disgusting. I completely understand how you feel.

Last night I was doing GSL and went through two towels. My puzzle mats were soaked. I don't know why I sweat so much. I've asked the Dr. and he says I'm just a "sweater". I don't drink massive amounts of water, either. My sweating is one of the main reasons I love working out at home so much. :p

ETA: I would workout in just shorts and a sports bra but then there's nothing to absorb my sweat. I actually make sure I wear a tanktop so that there's something to catch my sweat! How gross am I?!?!?!?!

I bet all you July RTers are psyched to workout with me....Who wants to be the first to call the spot next to me? anyone? anyone? hello???? *crickets chirping*

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

The only type of workout that doesn't leave me dripping is UB, even LB get my shirts wet.

Cardio of any kind and I look like I just ran through a sprinkler. Heck I even laughed at DH the other day when it was over 100" and I was dripping and I couldn't even see a drop of sweat on him.

We are all different, but you are not alone !

I am also a sweater. From what I understand as you get more fit you sweat more. The reason being like anything else with practice your body becomes more efficient at cooling itself. It is embarrassing to me but I work out at home mostly so it really does not bother me too much. I run outside but I do not mind looking less attractive then because I get annoyed when guys honk their horns and gawk at me. haha

I'm a sweater too. Sometimes I'm a cardigan, sometimes a v-neck, usually a turtleneck in January.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :+

I get night sweats like crazy. I always have--ever since I was in my early 20s. I usually wake up around 2 am drenched. After that I'm fine--one of life's little mysteries I suppose.

Yeah I sweat a lot during exercise, but it gets much worse this time of year, starting in maybe April. My basement stays relatively cool, it's the humidity that gets me. Even with a dehumidifier running all day every day, I'm dying like 15 minutes into a cardio workout. And I have little dots all over the floor from where I dripped. You are not alone. ;-)

Okay, you sweaty people make me feel sooo much better :D

Like you Allison I don't drink massive amounts of water either. I'm just not a thirsty person. I have to remind myself to drink. On the rare occation that I do get thirsty I think, crap am I getting sick...what's wrong with me.

Just curious, do any of you have Raynaud's disease (white fingers and toes when cold)?

Hello - I lurk on this site and hardly ever post, but as a sweaty exerciser I felt compelled to join in! I always soak through my bras, shorts, etc. Only in the dead of winter and doing an UB workout do I not sweat like crazy. Also, I do have Reynaud's (sp?)in my hands and toes. They go white and numb when the blood vessels constrict too much. I wonder if there is a connection? Like our heating/cooling systems overreact?

-Tracy

I'm a drippy sweater too! I work out both at home and at the gym. I have noticed in my Spinning classes that a lot of us create little (or big) pools. It's not a big deal at all, nothing to be embarrassed about. Nothing like a good sweat!

Hmm. Interesting. I sweat buckets the fitter I get. Also with the Reynauds. Oh, favorite quote from the cardiologist I saw earlier in the year. I complained that the freezing multi-colored hands were really interfering with my life and he said.....*drum roll please*...."You should keep your hands warm in winter."

Woohoo! I was blown away by his brilliance and compassion.

:-(

I wonder if there's a connection.

I'm a sweater too!! I always drip all over the step and have to dry off before I go the stability ball -- I always really look forward to and enjoy the shower AFTER the workout!! :)

At my gym during spin class we have puddle contests. The one who leaves the biggest puddle wins. So, it's common. And yes, I've won a few times. :+

As for hot flashes - I saw a plaque when I was in Boston last week that said - "I don't have hot flashes, I have short, private, vacations to the tropics." That had me laughing as I'm starting to get to THAT age...

I agree, the fitter I get, the more I sweat!

For me, the embarrassing part is being so red in the face for several hours after a good, hard cardio workout!

Count me in as another Sweathog, which is one of the reasons I'm a home-ex aficionado. I don't leave a puddle but I DO fling droplets "hither and thither", and poor DH has to clean up after me. And all of my workout clothes, from bandanna-cum-sweatband to socks/shoes and everything in between, are always soggy at the end of any decent routine, so I always buy these items El Cheapo because they get so skunked up.

If I did land cardio at the gym I'd be so self-conscious about that that I would never bring myself to work very hard. At home I can work as hard as I want and am able. Another argument for home-ex.

A-Jock

I'd be willing to bet the majority of Catheites sweat, how could we not?? One of the reasons I left the gym years back was the lack of a satisfying workout, which has also been the cause of many an exercise DVD to land in the trash, before the days of Collage Video and cathe.

Like Cathe says, if we're going to put the time in anyway, we might as well work for it!! I hate wasting time, unless I plan on wasting it. When I work out, I want to work!!

Yep I sweat and it doesn't help that I workout upstairs in SC heat. I have also have had hot flashes while working out. As far as sweaters goes, I do put one after I workout to cool down. I learned my lesson when I didn't put one on and caught a cold.

Annette Bethel

>It only seems to be getting worse as I get more fit. Can this
>be? ... I
>think I only have to be thinking about exercising and I start
>to sweat.

I've read that as one gets more fit, the body becomes more efficient at sweating, starting earlier (because it has gotten used to the idea that thus-and-such action will lead to sweating, so let's start ahead of time). As for sweating just by thinking about exercise (though you were probably kidding), studies have been done to show that the heartrates of regular exercisers can begin to increase in anticipation of exercise just when they start putting on their exercise wear.

I sweat quite a bit, more with some workouts than others (sometimes, higher-rep circuit workouts will leave me more drenched than heavier-weight, lower-rep workouts), and after one of my power walks, I'm dripping sweat (of course, some of that is from the heat).

Sweating is healthy! Keep it up!:D

I was told once a while back( before I quit smoking) that sweating is a sign of how healthy (or fit) you are. Right after I quit smoking (or any of the times I tried to work out while still smoking) I noticed that I had not one ounce of wetness on my face or body,but my face was as red as could be! Now, after 7 months of being a non-smoker and working out with cathe, my contacts are stingging in my eyes from sweat in my eyes.... a lot of times I have to pause the workout because I can't stand the stinging in my eyes! lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.