I'll be here to answer your questions...

Hope your doing great. Just a quick question for you. I`m wanting to reduce bulk in my lower body and lean it out but still keep some muscle definition. What do you think would be the best way to go about doing this? Oh and I can`t wait for the new workouts!

Hi Sarah! Everyone's body responds to exercise differently, but if I were going to give you a typical program that works well for many asking this I would say:

Stick with high rep lower body workouts 2 times per week non consecutively (ie: Butts and Guts, Lower Body Blast, Turbo Barre..)and every other week do a third workout for lower body that involves plyometrics...(ie: plyo legs)

Example

Week One:

Butts and Guts,
Lower Body Blast
(Along with your other scheduled workouts)

Week Two:

Turbo Barre
Lower Body Blast
Plyo Legs

Week Three:

Butts and Guts,
Turbo Barre

Week Four:

Turbo Barre
Lower Body Blast
Imax 2

Hi Cathe!

I have a couple general questions: I am in week 4 of the 3-month STS/LIS rotation. I have seen the scale jump 4 lbs from this past Monday, and this past Monday, I was up 1 lb on the scale from the previous Monday, for a grand total of 5 lbs gained since starting this rotation. Eating is clean and I work out 6 days per week and add an additional cardio on the STS/weight training days. Is this just water weight gain and nothing to be concerned about? Would you recommend a diuretic? I should mention I'm pretty sore throughout my body and have been since I started this program.

Also, I was thinking about skipping the active recovery week next week and the one next month and just continue through the rotation (want to finish the rotation prior to Chicago RT - yay!): is this advisable?

You are doing great Sherry! Keep up just what you are doing! The weight gain is temporary water retention due to muscle repair. The muscle swells when you have soreness which is a result of minor tissue tears (very normal). The inflammation then sets in to heal which causes the water retention. This subsides as your soreness does but when workouts are so new, there is a lot more healing going on so this temporary water weight gain seems to hang around longer. I do not suggest a diuretic. Let it happen naturally so you don't dehydrate. Just give yourself massages to help break up repair adhesions and drink lots of extra water to flush toxins out.

Keep your recovery week. This will aid in that muscle recovery you need. Plus if you are so very sore during your work weeks that you find you can't do the following day's exercises properly, take an extra day off in between.

Good Luck!

Curious

Certainly, I just don't have that in the works yet :)

Hi Cathe,

Not sure I used this right but I love your workouts and have been doing them ever since I first saw them on FitTV. I've been a regular exerciser for many years now, but my weight keeps fluctuating and I've never been at my ideal weight. Should I focus more on cardio or should I do more strength training or half and half?? What's the best way to shed the fat? My eating habits aren't too bad ...

The fun we had, the results we saw and the feedback we got made a follow up to Afterburn irresistible. Athletic training was also a favored LIS workout so I wanted to expand on this concept and intensity and have an another high energy offering for the step lovers too.

Afterbur
Hi Cathe=)
So excited and unexpected to see new videos! What inspired these? When can we see some previews, so my heart rate can jump up=)

Hi Dyelove!

Plateaus are normal and to break through them you have to shock your system with a new workout routine that it is not expecting for about 3 weeks. If you normally do kickboxing and step, switch over to running and cyling. Also, if you aren't already doing so, add one HIIT workout per week in your routine. Your diet should also be cross trained....don't always reach for the same veggies or breakfast foods. Find other super clean and nutritious options. Good Luck!

Hi there,
I have been working out for 2 years now, my body has changed a lot and went from 30% body fat to 25% and lost 15 post baby pounds,but I think I have reached a plateau, can't lower my body fat percentage anymore, any suggestions?

HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR HUBBY SHERRY!!!! Thank you for that great note. I love when couples find quality workout time together. Thanks for picking me to keep you fit!

Hello Cathe, Looking forward to the new workouts.

DH and I workout 5 days a week and we both love TB & circuit workouts (let me just say...Cathe's TB & circuit workouts only). We have both enjoyed Athletic training & Afterburn. We only have an hour at a time to devote to our workouts and feel that these type of workouts give us the most bang for our buck.

Your LIS Bonus step routine has been a life saver. DH has a tough time with the dancy stuff (ha ha...does make for an interesting workout).

Thanks for the MANY OPTIONS (DVD'S) that your provide. I believe we have just about all of them.

Just wanted to let you know our first purchase was STS (after P90x). Wish we had found you sooner. "Your STS blows P90X out of the water."

As long has you keep making DVD's....you will have an old married couple that will continue working out.

Again thanks and looking forward to your future workouts.

Sherry

You are doing great Sherry! Keep up just what you are doing! The weight gain is temporary water retention due to muscle repair. The muscle swells when you have soreness which is a result of minor tissue tears (very normal). The inflammation then sets in to heal which causes the water retention. This subsides as your soreness does but when workouts are so new, there is a lot more healing going on so this temporary water weight gain seems to hang around longer. I do not suggest a diuretic. Let it happen naturally so you don't dehydrate. Just give yourself massages to help break up repair adhesions and drink lots of extra water to flush toxins out.

Keep your recovery week. This will aid in that muscle recovery you need. Plus if you are so very sore during your work weeks that you find you can't do the following day's exercises properly, take an extra day off in between.

Good Luck!

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Cathe! I will steer clear from diuretics and take the active recovery week. :D

Hi Cathe!

Can't wait for the new work outs...I have no questions about them because I am sure there will just rock like all the others

Question about the Chicago RT though...what workouts will be highlighted while we are there? We are all very curious! Thanks :)

Christie Morgan

Hi Christie! Can't wait to see you and GREAT question but I don't fully have the answer yet. I have learned over the years that because we do 6 workouts in 36 hours and have to find time to digest food in between all of it that certain workouts are better done at certain times etc. I also learned what the popular favorites are.

I will most likely do the following but nothing is set in stone:

In no particular order as of yet:

Boot camp
Yoga
Body Sculpting w/tubing and weights
Lower Body Blast and abs
Cardio Core Circuit type workout
Afterburn type workout

No questions...just a quick hello!

And, to say that since the new workouts are "pumped up" AB & AT, makes me very happy. LOVE both of those!!! Thanks for making us all very excited with the news!!!

Attachments

• WavingSmilie!.jpg
    WavingSmilie!.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 238
Hi Princessbuttrcup!

It was Cardio supersets and Afterburn!

Also, regarding the new workouts:

Crossfire will have no step

Too the Max will have about 75% step (or incorporating the step)

I have two questions:

In the LIS series, in a facebook post you said there are two workouts we shouldn't do back to back. Can you remind me what those are? :) Cardio Supersets and Afterburn or Afterburn and Athletic Training? Can't remember and can't find the post. :)

On the NEW workouts, do you anticipate a lot of step or no step? I love all your workouts but love your DVD's where it's more full body weights, intervals and total body versus step.

Thank you!!!!

Hello Cathe!!! No question here. Just wanted to say thanks for the great news of new DVD's to come! So Excited!!! Thanks Again!:p

hi cathe,

no question, just want to say hello and even tho i have not done some of the newer workouts like AB, AT, CS, and S&G (i've done the others), b/c i am finishing up my first sts rotation, i am still so excited about the new ones. thx for the great workouts, and i'll continue to buy anything u put out:).....see u in july(sooooooooooooo excited)

Workout for recovery?

Dear Cathe,

I would like to ask for your opnion on the following:
Which of your workouts would you recommend to a person recovering from a hip stress fracture and torn muscle? After being sidelined for 5 months my physician finally gave me the greenlight to work out: swimming and some "light exercises". Any of the LIS series?
And when do you think I can start to lift heavy again? You have probably known a fitness professional who was injured, who long they resumed working out?

Thank you very much!

Zsofia

Cathe Friedrich said:
Hi Christie! Can't wait to see you and GREAT question but I don't fully have the answer yet. I have learned over the years that because we do 6 workouts in 36 hours and have to find time to digest food in between all of it that certain workouts are better done at certain times etc. I also learned what the popular favorites are.

I will most likely do the following but nothing is set in stone:

In no particular order as of yet:

Boot camp
Yoga
Body Sculpting w/tubing and weights
Lower Body Blast and abs
Cardio Core Circuit type workout
Afterburn type workout

Hey Cathe,
Will there be a step class??? Please????

Oh please oh please oh please oh please can there be a step class?! That is my favorite of the whole weekend -- it lights my fire and warms my steppin' little heart!

ETA: My plea is specifically for the Chicago trip, but I agree about Glassboro, too, for those going there. :)

Last edited:
YES, please step, step, step at the Glassboro RT!!! An afterburn class sounds awesome too!!

oh look at all you steppers getting up in Cathe's grill! lol! just teasing of course!

I'm good for anything Cathe.... as long as we don't get stuck in chair pose in the dark again!

Hi Cathe!
First of all,I wanted to thank you for the new workouts, I've learnt to love metabolic training thanks to AB and AT and I was so waiting for something like that! Will you incorporate the discs in the new routines?I hope so, they are my new favourite instrument of " torture" :D
Here comes my second question : DH has started to workout again with you and his main trouble area is his big belly: do you have any suggestion about a smart way to slim down his waist line? He's doing mainly your LIS series as he has some knee issues, but can do kickbox/running provided he modifies too high impact moves.
Thank you again for all you do!
Ellie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.