If you use botox: something to think about (FYI)

kathryn

Cathlete
I don't use it (or plan to), but I know some people here do.
I thought you might be interested in something I just found out:
Legally, each batch of Botox has to be tested to determine the correct amount to use on humans (since batches can vary in strength). These tests are usually conducted on mice, but rats or even dogs can also be used. If they are given too little, no muscle paralysis takes place. If they are given too much, they usually die an unpleasant death. And this is, again, for EACH BATCH of Botox. (Here's some info on it: http://www.hsus.org/animals_in_rese...he_beauty_myth_botox_kills_animals/index.html

(It's a version of what's called an "LD50" test, which is a live-animal test that has been used for a long time, and IMO, is one of the most barbaric: LD50 stands for 'lethal dosage 50%,' and with it, groups of animals are given various doses of something (usually something that they are forced to eat, like laundry detergent, soaps, shampoo...) and statistics are kept to see at what level 50% of them die--again, not pleasantly).

Kathryn,

Thank you for this information. Not that I ever would use botox, but it is worth knowing about.

Also, those poor animals. It is such a shame they have to suffer because of humans and their vanity.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I have no problem with people using it--more power to ya. But I have serious, serious problems with the animal testing. If we have to test it on an animal, maybe we shouldn't be using it at all. (And, yes, that goes for makeup, soaps, and anything else).

God, animal testing is barbaric.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

>I don't know why anyone would want to inject this in
>themselves let alone a rat.....

Ummm, to get rid of wrinkles & feel more attractive?

I won't stop using it. If there were alternatives I would, but botox has a monopoly (in fact there was another company about to go public & botox purchased them before they had the chance).

<Ummm, to get rid of wrinkles & feel more attractive?>
Certainly understandable to a degree but the risks associated are not worth it to me. I'd just assume stay out of the sun and buy myself some new threads.

<<But I have serious, serious problems with the animal testing. If we have to test it on an animal, maybe we shouldn't be using it at all.>>

Particularly with vanity products.

Very enlightening article. I was thinking about using botox for my excessive sweating.... but now I'll wait until Allergen develops alternative testing techniques that don't involve the LD50 test.

Botox isn't just for vanity. It is used in many areas of medicine to relax muscles, including the upper GI tract and, as one previous poster mentioned, to curb excessive sweating. There are other uses as well.

I don't use botox, but I have often thought that it might have a place in my future, but not now.

Thanks for the enlightenment Kathryn. I hate to hear about animal testing, particularly (as another poster said) for vanity products. I can't stand knowing I'm contributing to some innocent animal's suffering.

Joyce

><Ummm, to get rid of wrinkles & feel more attractive?>
>Certainly understandable to a degree but the risks associated
>are not worth it to me. I'd just assume stay out of the sun
>and buy myself some new threads.

What risks? I'm not aware of any risks. The so-called "poison" in botox couldn't kill a fly.

Some of us don't have a choice when it comes to sun exposure. I have a skin condition that only responded to UV light (fortunately some new meds have come out over the last few years & my only risk w/them is lymphoma). I had a choice of living with an ugly rash all over my body all my life or exposing myself to the sun. I'm paying the price for it now, & anything that'll mitigate the effects is A-OK in my book.

<I'm not aware of any risks.>
Well, there are risks, as with many, many things in life. For me, I could not justify such risks, no matter how miniscule they might be.

><I'm not aware of any risks.>
>Well, there are risks, as with many, many things in life. For
>me, I could not justify such risks, no matter how miniscule
>they might be.

I repeat, what risks? Beavs, if you're going to make such a statement about something that's important to me, if not many of us, please have the facts to back it up.

Here's an article from the FDA that might discredit this myth regarding "risks" associated with the procedure:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/Features/2002/402_botox.html

I, for one, don't know if there are risks involved with using Botox. But like many things, I don't think Botox has been around long enough for us to know whether it can cause serious internal or external damage.

The topic of this thread is that they TEST BOTOX ON ANIMALS. I don't care who or does or does not use it. That's an individual choice. My problem is that we are testing yet another human vanity product on helpless animals where the purpose of the test is to see if we can kill 50% of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see something SERIOUSLY wrong with this picture. It disgusts me.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Allison, botox has been around for more than 20 years. One generation. Plenty of time to know side effects & risks.

I did not read the article & I have no intention of reading the article. Botox has been a miracle for me & I don't think there's anything in the world that will keep me from it. Do I think it should be tested on animals? No. I think testing should be done on death row inmates & people like Michael Vick. In fact, if it's a cosmetic procedure I'd be happy to volunteer.

Botox is not just used for vanity. I have to get Botox injections in my bladder every 4-6 months. I have tried every drug and other options for my bladder and I was suggested to use the Botox. It has done wonders for my bladder. I have intersticial cystitis and urgency/frequency. It has really helped me not have all the pain and having to go constantly. I feel bad it is being tested on small animals but it really helps a lot of people, not just those who want to get rid of wrinkles. I hope they do come up with better testing so they don't have to use live animals but what else are we supposed to do who need it.

Strange that we are disgusted by Michael Vick's actions, but, if it serves our own purposes, being cruel to animals is not that big a deal.

Do your own research Laura as you clearly know everything on the topic and seem hell bent on turning this into a personal matter. My point again, is that for me it is not worth the risk (or perceived risk if you prefer) and I don't have to justify that to you. I'm sure other do things (or don't do things) that you don't quite understand. It's what makes the world interesting.

You can put anything you want into you body and you don't have to justify it to me, this board, or your great aunt Tilly. All you have to do is pay taxes and die all of which don't have any impact on anyone but you (and of course the IRS, your family, and your cute dogs)

Thanks Kathryn for the link. And I couldn't agree more with you TeTe. Some people are so blind and selfish when it comes to animal cruelty. It's a childish and nihilistic mindset where they don't seem to mind that they're contributing to the suffering of another living creature, but they sure don't want to know about it. None so blind as those who will not see. I pray for the day when people will finally face reality and practice compassion towards all other living creatures.

Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.