I thought I saw two pound weighted gloves

CDPotier

Cathlete
I am the one complaining that my heart rate does not go up enough in kickboxing, and I wear one pound weighted gloves. Where did the two pound weighted gloves go?

I remember that. i think cathe stopped selling them, because there was a problem with the weights fastening in the glove. the closure/zipper was coming open or maybe it just felt too bulky for the user. i think I remember reading about both problems. i never owned weighted gloves myself, but I was seriously considering buying some at the time.

so I would just be wary when you read the reviews for the gloves, make sure that's not an issue.

I have the weighted gloves and yes there are issues. For one, it is really hard to get the weight back in the gloves--I still struggle to get 1 1/2 lbs in each glove. Second, the metal piece that attaches to the zipper has broken off both gloves. Third, the black covering on each 1/2 pound ripped so I've taped them. Lastly, you sweat in the gloves so the don't smell so good after a while! LOL

You would do better using a 1 pound weight in each hand, along with your 1 pound gloves. Hope it helps:)

I have the same Altus gloves that Jean does, and I'm happy with them. It's kind of a pain getting the weights in and out, but I think that's the case with all gloves. I don't know how Cathe and crew do those transitions so quickly in STS. I've had mine for about a year and I've not had any problems with them. They are a little big, but other than that I'm very pleased with them.

Eva

I am going to use them two pounds each

I am not going to take out any weight, as some kickboxing routines are so easy I need two pounds in each hand. The hardest kickboxing workout I have ever done is MMAFusion, and I am only up to half of it. I wear my one pounds for that one. I like Ilaria's form in Powerstrike, but my heart rate never gets high enough. I would wear the two pounds for that.

If you want weighted gloves for kickboxing, I HIGHLY recommend these:
Hand Irons™ Champion Series 2lb each, 4lb pair The weight is distributed around the hand, so there is no slipping, and you can have better form (and really get into the punches). They do make the difference in being able to get your heart rate up.

If you can't afford the ironwear ones right away, the previously mentioned solution of using the 1# gloves and holding a 1# weight is a good one.

I tried using the 2# Altius/Cathe gloves for kickboxing, but since the weight is all on the back of the hand, it slips around and makes it difficult to execute the punches quickly and with good form. It wasn't so bad with the 1# gloves, but that extra pound on the back of the 2# gloves made it much more cumbersome. They are great for adding pounds when you're doing weight workouts, however. I don't try to change the weight. I have 1# gloves as well, and find it easier and faster to switch gloves rather than switching the weight in the gloves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.