I saw something at the gym last night I'd never seen before.....

LauraMax

Cathlete
It was a guy teaching a step class. And please note, this post is in no way sexist, I wish there were more guys into step!

I was there lifting & happened to walk by the classroom & I had to stop & watch. This guy has some serious moves! He has the athleticism of Cathe & the complexity of Tracey. I even saw him do some moves I didn't recognize. I was practically drooling watching the class, I wanted so badly to jump in! I need to check there schedule to see if he teaches any morning classes.

Are there other male step instructors out there? I think maybe Rob Glick? Do guys not like step b/c they think it's too feminine, or b/c it's too tough for them? ;)

Laura, I must have a strong masculine streak because I don't like step either.

My sis used to do a lot of step and she swore apart from Cathe, by DVDs from Marcus Irwin and his evolution label featuring guys leading advanced, dancy or interesting choreography step workouts. They are available from fitnessorganica.

We have only a couple of males instructors in our area too. I always encourage men to become instructors since they tend to be very popular. They approach the situation in a different way and it is a lot of fun to try things from a different prospective.

Patrick Goudeau has advanced Step DVDs. At the gym that I go to there are three male step instructors and they are all very good. There are at least several males in every step class that I attend.

I've never seen a male step instructor in any live class at any gym I've ever been a member of. In fact, it's very rare that I see a male instructor for any group class. Usually the men are trainers for some reason. Any male step instructors that I have come across have always been on videos. That's just my experience though. Glad to know that they are out there! :)

My sis used to do a lot of step and she swore apart from Cathe, by DVDs from Marcus Irwin and his evolution label featuring guys leading advanced, dancy or interesting choreography step workouts. They are available from fitnessorganica.

Oooh thanks Vee, I'll have to check that out! I'm always jonesing for some new cardio! BTW, I'm not implying that people who don't like step are masculine. :p It just seems like guys don't like it b/c they think it's too feminine. Maybe. I dunno, I haven't asked a lot of guys about it.

That's right, Patrick Goudeau. I knew there was one out there!

I've seen lots of male group fitness instructors, but almost all of them teach classes like bodypump. Some spin & KB. But I've never seen step before! And that class looked so awesome.....

Patrick is a lot of fun. He is more or a rythmic step kind of guy. It always takes me awhile to get his choreo down, but he is the only step besides Cathe that I can do.
We have a male step instructor at the Y and he is pretty good. So they are out there!

Yeah, I know a male step instructor (not real well.) I don't know why there are not a lot of guys who do this. Because its a great way to meet fit young ladies. I know lots of guys who do ballroom dancing but maybe the step workouts are too hard for them.

When I first learned step, the instructor was a guy. It was way back in November 1992(yes, a long time ago!). It was about a 45 minute class at lunchtime and was pretty basic. The guy and his wife (John and Sherry) had a business together, and taught at various places. This worked out well for me, because I was new and had tons of trouble catching on!! Luckily he didn't do anything too complicated or dancey(he'd joke in front of class when I coudn't do the basics -- which was okay with me, it made it sort of fun). Once in awhile Sherry taught, and she was really complicated and had the groove that I totally could not get!

Anyway, the funny thing is, that DH knew the guy instructor from years back when the both raced (cyclists), that is why I'd get picked on in front of class for my clutziness!!:D

And, another funny thing is, after a month and a half or two, one of the exercisers gave me a compliment that she thought I was at an advanced level! Maybe because I was on 2 risers(but still not very coordinated!)

I've progressed in my stepping ability, but, I'm not on 2 risers anymore!

My gym has NO step classes being taught. They use the step, but more in a circuit or bootcamp style workout. :(

Vee - thanks for the link, these are AMAZING!

Oooh thanks Vee, I'll have to check that out! I'm always jonesing for some new cardio! BTW, I'm not implying that people who don't like step are masculine. :p It just seems like guys don't like it b/c they think it's too feminine. Maybe. I dunno, I haven't asked a lot of guys about it.

I hope you find something you like Laura.

I knew it is not what you implied. :) In my culture, it is traditionally accepted that everyone has a bit of both in them - good and bad, strengths and weakness, masculine and feminine. I dont mind nourishing my inner child and my inner man along with my womanliness. :)

My gym that I taught at back in the day also had a male instructor. His class was always completely full as well. I think men bring a whole new attitude and it's a shame there aren't more of them!

When I first learned step, the instructor was a guy. It was way back in November 1992(yes, a long time ago!). It was about a 45 minute class at lunchtime and was pretty basic. The guy and his wife (John and Sherry) had a business together, and taught at various places. This worked out well for me, because I was new and had tons of trouble catching on!! Luckily he didn't do anything too complicated or dancey(he'd joke in front of class when I coudn't do the basics -- which was okay with me, it made it sort of fun). Once in awhile Sherry taught, and she was really complicated and had the groove that I totally could not get!

Linda - was this the guy at Nautilus/Bally next to CO4??? I remember the guy who used to teach there in the early 1990s! He had a very dead ahead step class, and was a nice level of energy, so I liked it. Did not do complicated stuff, but was fun. Can't remember his name, though. He's the only male step instructor I remember. I think you were in the class with me, too! Only I didn't do the lunch classes; I did the after-work classes.

Linda

I'm with Vee. I must be masculine too, because I hate step - the choreography, the falling-off-the-step part, the falling-onto-the-step-part, the complete lack of room to use the step properly part, all of it. I will happily do knee repeaters 'til the cows come home, but that's about my limit.

My name is Kim and I am a stepaholic ...........................

My daughter took me to her funky gym on a guest pass a week or so ago and I went into the step class and this guy did DOUBLE step.

WOO HOO I was loving that. He said he'd only ever done it once before, so I guess I just got lucky. He knew I was new and he kept glancing over, I don't expect he was thinking I'd be able to keep up - he wasn't banking on getting a Cathlete in there.

I'm guessing anyone on here that doesn't like it on one step isn't going to be jamming on two????

I've got a Rob Glick DVD that I bought off Amazon, but I've been thinking about sticking it on e-bay as I don't find it really 'works me out' (IMO). No criticism of the choreography, but it's not slammin' on the cardio.

I've also got a video from the way dim and distant past - I'm trying to remember - I think it's Dale Preston - does anyone remember that one. I thought it was quite intricate back-in-the-day (I must have looked the 'bizo' in my butt-flossing leotard and lycra tights).

Wow - that double step You Tube video looks like so much fun!!! There's lots of interesting moves there.

Thanks for the link.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.