I really want to cut my hair

fitnessluvr

Cathlete
I have had long hair FOREVER. I am so ready for a change, my husband on the other hand is not. I wear my hair in a ponytail EVERYDAY, if I take the 20 minutes to actually blow dry it straight, it still goes up at some point during the day. Can anyone else relate.....

I wear my hair in a ponytail every single day and if I straighten it I too end up putting it up half-way through the day. I keep debating cutting my hair too but if it is short I HAVE to do it everyday and won't be able to put it up so I am torn. Easy and long or a style and have to do my hair? I have the same dilemma.

How is your hair styled? Is it all one length?

I have long hair, but it is shaped around my face and the rest is in long layers. I don't pull my hair up unless I'm working out. When my kids were younger, I pulled it up all the time though. I cut it short for a change once. But, I look better with long hair, and short hair is more work for me. Whenever I feel like a change, I get highlights, go darker, or make a drastic decision to get bangs. LOL

Wendy

I am like Wendy. Well actually I cut my hair short a few years ago and did not care for it. So I learned my lesson and last time I wanted a change I got some choppy layers and a side swept bang put in. I just make sure I keep it trimed and do not let it get super long so it does not start to look damaged and ratty. Now I am looking at funky ways to highlight it to give it more of an edge. Most work days I put it up but on the weekends I like to keep it down when I go out.

I had hair way below my shoulders and I always wore it up. Well...about a year and a half ago I got a pixie and I just love it!!!My Stepdaughter saw it and got hers cut the same way. It takes a lot less time and I just love it! So does my husband!
Ellen

Goodness, I can understand your feelings regarding your husband. I had long, spiral permed hair for years. My husband LOVED the look on me. Any time I would mention changing it, he would comment on how good I looked and that I shouldn't change. I found myself pulling it up because I thought the look made me look tired and worn.
I slowly started taking the length up and let the perm grow out to natural straight hair.
Now, my hair falls just past my shoulders, straight with lots of layers. My stylist just taught me how to curl this cut with a flat iron(I know...weird). NOW, my husband says he likes my hair straight! LOL

Had long long hair (actually could sit on it for a while) until I was almost 40.

Chopped it to the shoulder and loved it. Have since let it grow out here and there but always receive comments from the males when it is shorter even though many thought it was very nice hair when it was long.

Maybe look at some longer, simply styled cuts and do it a bit at a time to see how you and DH like it.

I had to really psyche myself up for my first short cut after years of long hair. I called my sister for support :7 ~ she's fearless when it comes to hairstyles. I remember her saying, "It's hair! It'll grow back!"

That was 8 years ago, and now both my husband and I love my hair short (he actually wants it shorter). I play with it, growing it out between cuts, but I eventually head right back to the salon for a short style. Right now, I have one of those funky, angled bobs.

(Not me, but that's my cut. My color too actually. :) )
http://www.lynnechapman.com/images/Profile1.jpg

It's short as heck in the back, but I have plenty around my face for softness. It's edgy (well, for me it is), fun and easy to style.

Why not go half way? Try some kind of bob, which is much shorter but will still provide length and shape. It takes nothing to grow out. Go for it.

Go for it !

It's summer.

Hair grows back.

You might absolutely fall in love with your new look (just decide how short you want it: do you still want to be able to put it up when you workout?). If you don't, remember....

HAIR GROWS BACK!;)

My hair is really long right now because I am getting married on Sunday, and I wanted it long for my wedding. Within two weeks, I will have it cut -- too much work!! It looks great, though!

My best friend actually just got married, and did the same thing -- grew it out for the wedding. The second day of her honeymoon, she went to some random place and had them cut it ALL off!

I think hair is an accessory - change it often! I change the length of color of mine all the time. Once mine takes too long to style, I chop it off.

I had long hair for YEARS in all kinds of styles but none were ever very good. They would look great when the stylist did them but I was not good at replicating it. I also did not have the time/patience to really work at it so I spents years putting my hair up in barrettes, ponytails, etc.

After getting so incredibly tired of it I made the decision to cut it off short and I mean REALLY short! I went from having hair a few inches past shoulder length to BOY short hair. It was not only super short but cut close to my head. The top was a bit longer for styling purposes. Anyway, it took a bit to get used to but I LOVED IT! It was just the change I had been looking for. I was able to do my hair in a style every day and it took no longer to do then when I would put my hair up in a ponytail or whatever!!!

I kept it short from 2003 to 2005. Once again I was ready for a change and began growing it out again. That was frustrating but I lived through it. My hair is once again a few inches past shoulder length and after intially "fighting" with it again and trying to figure out what to do with it, I again, made the best decision ever! I got a perm and it's AWESOME! I can finally wear it totally down. It only takes a couple of minutes to style and it looks great! :) No blow-drying either!;)

I know that last part about the perm was a little O/T but my point is...if you want to do it then DO IT! You'll probably be very happy you did it even if it's only a temporary change!:)

My hair stylist and I have this great agreement. She gives me terrific cuts. I grow it long to cut it short, and I cut it short to let it grow long. Job security for her - I get a different look whenever. It does grow, so if you really want to cut it - cut it!

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

A haircut is a high risk - high reward thing if you have worn you hair long ever since you can remember.

Best Case Scenario: You look in the mirror after the cut and you love it. He says "Honey, I was so wrong. You look fantastic."

Next Best Scenario: You look in the mirror after the cut and you love it. He sulks and says "You _used_ to look so nice." That takes the delight level down a few notches but looking in the mirror is so much fun, you forget all about his sulking.

Not so good Scenario: You hate it. You dont want any mirrors in the world. He loves it. He cant stop raving. You still hate it and have to live with it, but seeing his eyes light up and hearing him say "Nonsense. It looks fantabulous" makes you feel so much better.

Worst Case Scenario: You hate it. He says "Hah. I told you so." Not only do you have to live with it until it grows out, you have no sympathetic shoulder and there are no sweet little lies like "You still are the most beautiful woman in the world to me."

If you can live with all 4 scenarios for 3 months or so (until it grows), you should just cut it. You only live once (actually many, many times if you believe us Hindus who believe in rebirth).

The first time I cut my hair from waist length to ear length, DH did not talk to me for two days. Now, he would not notice if I dyed it green and wore it in spikes. We have been married for 17 years.

~* Vrinda *~

If your DH gets mad at you for cutting your hair then he needs to grow up. He's obviously allowed to have his opinnions but that doesn't mean that you have to agree or have to abide by it.

I know we all want our DH/SO to find us attractive but he should love you no matter what and you should be able to make changes to your look w/o carrying out the guilt of him possibly not liking it and getting mad at you.

My DH openly admits he likes me better with the longer hair but he thought I looked nice with short hair too and if I never let it grow back it would have been A-okay with him!

I love and respect my husband, but he has no say in what I do with my hair! I've made some good and bad hairstyle choices over the years, and I was the one who had to live with them. As mentioned on this thread already, the great thing about haircuts/styles is that they're temporary. I'm contemplating cutting mine short for the summer; I did it a few years ago and LOVED it.

Have fun with your new 'do!!!

Wendy,

What kind of perm did you get? I have been toying with the idea of getting one, but I have terrible memories of my 80s "poodle" perm. :eek:

>Wendy,
>
>What kind of perm did you get? I have been toying with the
>idea of getting one, but I have terrible memories of my 80s
>"poodle" perm. :eek:

LOL Sorry but I found the term "poodle perm" quite funny. :)

Well, years ago I used to perm my hair and I had gotten spiral perms which was created for longer styles and loved it so when I went to get it done again that is what I asked for but not what I got. It turned out fine though. She appeared to have used regulation medium size perming rods. My hair is pretty long (a few inches past shoulder length) so although my hair is veryy curly now, it's not short and poodle-looking at all! I LOVE IT! :)

I think you only need fear the poodle perm if your hair is on the shorter side and you get a tight perm.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.