I need shoe help asap, please

cathe, I am getting new shoes so I can start my workout again, my old ones were killing my feet and shins. I am flat footed, and slightly wider foot. Wich shoe is best for me for weights, aerobics, step, and your kickboxing? please respond soon, I need to get back to my workout desperatly. thank you, Jenni

Hi Jenni! You need to find shoes that come in wide sizes and offer good arch support. Your shoe should also have good all around support. When it comes to finding that perfect shoe, I unfortunately cannot recommend one. It is all in how it feels on your foot. You will have to go try a few different brands on and see which best meets your needs. Happy Hunting!

I have the same issues and find that Ryka shoes work for me. You will probably have to buy them through their website though because they are difficult to find in stores. They are a little wider than most and offer a tremendous amount of cushioning for aerobics and cross training.

Hope that helps.:)

Are shoes REALLY necessary? I've been working out for over a year now barefoot. My knees started bothering me and I read that you should wear GOOD shoes, coincidentally I had just bought some new ones. They're Reebok with excellent arch support however when I work out in them they just bother me. So, are shoes really necessary?

Yes, shoes are necessary. Without them, when you do these high intensity workouts (like Cathe's), you run the risk of fracturing the tiny bones in your feet. This will cause you problems over time.

Also, shoes provide cushion for your joints (knees, for example). Without cushioning under your feet, your joints are called upon to do all the cushioning, and that will wear your cartilage in the knee joint out over time.

Lastly, shoes (the proper shoes) provide support to your very delicate ankle region. You need this support so you don't stress and/or injure your ankle bones/muscle/tendons.

I purchased the Ryka Rythm II and am absolutely thrilled with them. They are the best workout shoes I've ever had. I have a high arch and need good support.

What about a foot that has a low arch with narrow heel & a wider front for weights & aerobics? Any recommendations?

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

the best advice anyone ever gave me about shoes was to find a store when I would be properly fitted. For the most part, the mall type stores don't train their employees to take the time to measure and fit someone properly and that's critical.
Your best bet would be to find an independent ahtletic shoe store, owned by someone who is knowledgeable about brands, fit etc. I learned some valuable tips on sock selection and even how to lace my shoes for a better fit. It's definitely worth looking into. Good luck!
Valerie :)

Hi, I'd like to offer a suggestion:

Have I got the shoes for you! Just a few days ago I purchased a pair of sneakers from Nike. The name is "Air Zoom Tide" and it has the number "20" on the tongue of the shoe. I believe sales people refer to them as "20s" The model # is 310793 051. I didn't see it on Nike's website. My friend suggested these and they are amazing. Apparently, they were designed by a track coach. They are running shoes and have great support. I have very flat feet and I wear orthotics. These shoes were so comfortable that I didn't use my orthotics when I ran 3 1/2 miles on my treadmill. My feet didn't bother me afterwards. The next day I did them for LoMax and my feet felt wonderful! It was like I was walking on air. These sneakers came in right on time because last week, I was suffering with soreness from the back of one of my ankles. I'm usually a Sacouny/Avia person but these are much better! I purchased them from Lady Foot Locker. They run about $80 bucks but they are worth it! I hope this helps and good luck in your shoe search :)

Your feet sound exactly like mine and I have had very good luck with the Ryka Rhythm II. Both my feet and my legs have felt great since I've started using them.

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

like cathe, i agree that shoes are really a personal thing. what works well for my foot, hasn't worked with others and has worked well with others, hasn't worked so well with me. for example, everyone raves about Ryka. while i haven't found them to be terrible, i haven't found them to be fantastic either. in fact for me, i would prefer shoes with much more forefoot cushioning than Ryka provides me. the shoe that i have found that works for me is the Asics Gel 310 TR. great cushioning, great support, great stability, great flexibility. i have been waiting for Asics to come back on the market with shoes to use in the studio!

i read reviews that for feet like yours, the Asics Gel 210 worked really well for narrow heels. they come in some pretty cool colors too. when i tried the shoe on i did like the way it cupped my heel and i did like the stability but, the shoe was a little stiff and i wanted more cushioning in the forefoot, so i opted for the Gel 310. The Asics also comes in different widths.

Hope this helps! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.