I need a new beginners check in

RapidBreath

Cathlete
Hi Catheletes,

I need a new beginner's check in for January. I'm starting at the real beginning, I'm coming back from injury and surgery. My old check in, The Joggler's, has dwindled down to just myself. Thats a little lonely. I have to start slow, I'm on low impact and just three days a week now. I have to baby my pelvis due to nerve pain. My focus is health, physical therapy, yoga, low impact cardio, and foam rolling. I'm also a geek and I like sci-fi tv shows, books, and series.

Oh, and my pals from that check in are really great and inspiring!

I don't have a name for the new group. I'm open to suggestion. Also, anyone is welcome.

Hi RapidBreath, I too have to start all over. This time I did something to my rt hip joint in early November. Long story but after a month of intense pain finally went to Dr. who sent me PT.
The pain is deep in the hip socket- standing, walking, climbing stairs and forget about shifting my weight to my rt leg! No sciatica though.
My internal hip/external hip rotation is gone on my rt hip joint.
The PT said I have locked up the ball & socket joint from a soft tissue injury and that the muscles, tendons etc. are swollen to protect the joint from further injury.
Shortly afterwards I also got a bacterial eye infection and then 2 weeks ago I came down with the worst flu/cough I've ever had and I'm just now getting over that. I'm a mess!!!
I have permission to exercise again but with caution... NO Hiit/Plyo/Jumping/Barbell.
About me? I like to work out at home so I can get it done, old movies on TCM and theater.
Not sure what rotation to do. I've done Cathe's beginner rotation 3 or 4 times over the years after major life events/injuries and built my self back 6 weeks after rotator cuff surgery doing STS starting with 1# weights but this time I'm not sure what rotation to do.

I am also starting over with weight training. I tore my shoulder in several places almost 2 years ago. I went through PT, then had a fall and injured my back. I had to do PT again because my shoulder froze while I was wheel chair bound. I have been given the green light to weight lift again, but am in a rut of walking and running because it's easier to jump on the treadmill than it is to pick a workout. Cardio only workouts are not giving me the results I want and I know I do better with more days of weights than cardio. My all time favorite is gym styles and I know I can't start there, lol! I tried the fit tower workouts, but honestly, my pride was getting in the way a little since I've been working out with Cathe for almost 20 years.
About me, I work from home so it makes it hard to set aside workout time because I feel like I should be working instead, even if I've put my hours in. The list I need to get through is never done at work or home! I need to prioritize myself again and just tackle the weight training. As you know though, the fear of re-injury is real!
I hope you both find the New Year brings healing and renewed energy!

Hi RAPID- I was doing the XTrain and HIIT mix then my knee caved.I had it rebuilt in my 20s and sometimes it just goes.
I started STS today and will be doing that for 3 months- not sure how the leg portion will go. I will also do some form of cardio on the off days- I usually run but it looks like it might be the bike for a while :(
Injury sucks!!
Melanie

Hi Rapid, TCB309 and Melanie1966.
I have made a decision to start Fit Tower/Ice/Low Impact Series 90 day rotation - adding in my PT exercises and starting out with low weights. If I need to cut back on cardio days and add in extra dynamic stretching or Tracy Long's Core 1 & Core 2 series I will do that instead.
I will commit to healthy eating as well and a positive mind set. I start tomorrow with the rotation and I did all my PT exercises tonight.
Hip is a bit sore but I know it needs to move or it will atrophy. No blood is getting to the cartilage. Creepy, huh.
Good night from frosty Minnesota.
Cocob1

Hopefully the hip will improve cocob1- sounds like you are going in the right direction.
I am not doing anything today workout wise. My knee is 50% better than yesterday and I want to rest it for a few days. I found some anti-inflammatories that seemed to take down the swelling and reduce the pain so I don't want to go backwards.
I do have back and triceps on the calendar for tomorrow.
We are frosty here as well in northern Alberta... -37C this morning :/
Melanie

I'd like to join your beginner's check in. My fitness level has slid back to beginner level at this point, and I need to get consistent with just doing anything. I've put on a lot of weight, have back pain, acid reflux, and my mental health has been a mess. I've been battling binging, anxiety, and depression. I have a history of lower back problems, so I always worry about re-injury, but I feel better when I exercise consistently. I pre-ordered Fit Split, but I don't think I have the endurance to do any of it, which bums me out. It's mostly because my weight gain makes everything more difficult, especially cardio and standing leg exercises. I just get so winded. I subscribed to Leslie Sansone's daily walk app, but I haven't been able to stay consistent with that, though I do think it's a good beginning point.
I like sci-fi shows as well. I'm currently excited for the next season of Colony to start, and I'm catching up on the latest season of Travelers.
I also work from home TCB309. I usually work out after work since I'm a night person anyway, but it can make getting to bed early enough a challenge.
It's very frosty here in western Wisconsin as well.
Amy

Welcome Amy!
Quick check in. I didn't start my rotation yesterday but plan to do it within the hour - 2 old friends who I hadn't seen in months due to my insane work schedule contacted me at the last minute yesterday. I made a conscious choice to put love and friendship and an evening out after work over my workout. A "heart health" workout. :) so today I will see how I do. No impact and low to no weights and my PT exercises afterwards.
The PT told me I was not only walking with a limp due to pain but I was walking leaning forward from the hip! Yikes!!! Just doing PT exercises and being conscious of my posture these past four days has ironically helped my pain level enormously.
Colleen

Welcome Amy!
Quick check in. I didn't start my rotation yesterday but plan to do it within the hour - 2 old friends who I hadn't seen in months due to my insane work schedule contacted me at the last minute yesterday. I made a conscious choice to put love and friendship and an evening out after work over my workout. A "heart health" workout. :) so today I will see how I do. No impact and low to no weights and my PT exercises afterwards.
The PT told me I was not only walking with a limp due to pain but I was walking leaning forward from the hip! Yikes!!! Just doing PT exercises and being conscious of my posture these past four days has ironically helped my pain level enormously.
Colleen
Thats great Colleen! I'm so glad that something is helping you feel better.

I worked on cleaning my room yesterday. I have to do that before I can do anything else. My PT has me doing special exercises to loosen up and relax my pelvis. They aren't hard to do, I just have found myself to be so tired that I don't end up doing them. Thats totally silly. But, it's the truth.

I’m checking in, new to the forum and a new subscriber to OnDemand and Cathe Live. I’m 55 years young, in decent shape, I have to be careful with my knees and hips so no plyo workouts for me, I can do some jumping with the HIIT workouts but I often try to keep at least one foot on the ground and I still manage to get my HR up. I have had frozen shoulder before so I take it easy on my shoulders. I can still go get it when I’m being consistent. I need accountability and a solid rotation because I’m overwhelmed with all the choices in with the online streaming. I also need a plan that I can stick with. I don’t know how to use the blender yet. I need to ease myself back into some type of full body, cardio combo, and figure out a way to fit in yoga. I need help with discipline and organization. I also need help with meal planning. I work full time and I car pool to work and school with my son who is in college. I’m usually away from home for 10 + hours per day. I do best when I workout in the mornings.

I read all of your posts and I am inspired by your commitment to get back to full health and strength. I need to be as committed you all so that I can hang in here as I age...I see it’s easier to get out of shape fast when I stop my workouts. Looking forward to sharing with you all!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m checking in, new to the forum and a new subscriber to OnDemand and Cathe Live. I’m 55 years young, in decent shape, I have to be careful with my knees and hips so no plyo workouts for me, I can do some jumping with the HIIT workouts but I often try to keep at least one foot on the ground and I still manage to get my HR up. I have had frozen shoulder before so I take it easy on my shoulders. I can still go get it when I’m being consistent. I need accountability and a solid rotation because I’m overwhelmed with all the choices in with the online streaming. I also need a plan that I can stick with. I don’t know how to use the blender yet. I need to ease myself back into some type of full body, cardio combo, and figure out a way to fit in yoga. I need help with discipline and organization. I also need help with meal planning. I work full time and I car pool to work and school with my son who is in college. I’m usually away from home for 10 + hours per day. I do best when I workout in the mornings.

I read all of your posts and I am inspired by your commitment to get back to full health and strength. I need to be as committed you all so that I can hang in here as I age...I see it’s easier to get out of shape fast when I stop my workouts. Looking forward to sharing with you all!!

Happy New Year!!

I am soooo in....2017 in the books with Prophylactic dbl mastectomy in March, 2nd surgery in June and 3rd surgery this last September. Will be doing my tattoos in Feb but that'll be a cake walk. I know how good I feel when I practice good nutrition and consistent exercise....I am soooo in for 2018. And this is not a resolution, just had a huge hiccup in 2017!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.