I have people from hell living downstairs

CDPotier

Cathlete
My daughter and I were doing nothing this morning, just talking, and they diealed 911, lied and said that there was yelling and screaming for help in my condo. I told the police wht they were doing, and I acted very polite, and the police went down and issued them a warning. I hate to say this but I am very religious, and I will not say what I wish to say about them.

I also take klonopin for a panic disorder, and you can't imagine what this is doing to me.
They have lied and dialed 911 almost every day of this week.

I am sorry that happened to you and I know how you feel. Many years ago we had 2 guys living in the apartment under ours and they called the police saying we were keeping horses! They could hear them stampeding up and down the hallway. Another time they called to say we had flushed the toilet too many times one night. We used to tiptoe around at night and be careful not to flush the toilet too often. The police were sympathetic and spoke to them but still it was a nuisance. No real advice to offer only sympathy. We moved.

CDpotier: I am so sorry about this situation. You mentioned you were religious...I am not sure what that meant, but if you believe in the God of the Bible...you can know that He is sovereign, rules over all, even those mean, nutso people. Praying for you.

I do believe in the Holy Trinity

I am glad they were issued a warning, and it is terrible that some of us have such crazy people living near them. A herd of horses! What are people thinking? My daughter and were just talking when they dialed 911. After that, I did Low Impact Step Challenge, and the workout is good, but I do not like the music. I also did my legs with the Muscle Max premix. I wear a McDavid knee brace on my right knee because I used to do crazy things such a running a half marathon, winning a prize, and then running eight miles the next sday. I can still run with my knee brace, but in the fall, when the weather gets cooler, I will have to build up to it. Thank you all for reading.

Caitlin:

I sympathize most profoundly.

I have just bought my first house. Sheer relief. Before that I had a rented house where several rooms were separated off --badly, with no thought to sound proofing-- and I had to spend the first three years living with an Indian couple who partied EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for 3 years with their friends until 4 am Laughing, music, singing, clapping. I stopped trying to go to bed until after 4 am because I would just lie there seething with anger. My husband refused to ever do anything about it so it was always me going round there in the middle of the night asking them to cut down the noise please. I had to call the police on them also, but this did little good. Sigh. Some people are just completely disrespectful and they will not change.

Our delightful neighbours in the house next door called the police on us several times, accusing us of beating our child, because my teenage daughter was having fits of anger, mixed with her depression and she used to scream at us a lot. I just invited the police people to come in and talk to her and see for themselves that she was not a battered child. Which they did and then they asked me if there was anything they could do to help me! I thanked them politely and assured them that her moods would run their course and we would weather it. Which they did, and we did.

BUt who needs neighbours like that?

So, here is what I learned from the whole experience of that house: disrespectful, hateful people are not going to change. If you already suffer from anxiety disorder, as I do, then you have to do several things:

--plan to get out and get another place, asap
--develop a sense of self-preservation and stand up for yourself (they call the police, deal with each incident politely and stay sane; the cops will quickly work out that it is not you, but the people downstairs and things will not go well for them)
--lead your life anyway. If they are going to complain, hell, you can't stop them, but you can do your workouts at convenient times of the day (not after midnight and not before 7 am), live your life and still be a considerate neighbour yourself so that they actually have nothing to complain about at all.

Stay sane and remember: it is not you, it is them.

Clare

The police gave them a stern warning and today

I did the more difficult MMA kickboxing workout which involved a bit of jumping, and they did nothing. How dare outsiders dial 911 and say you are abusing your child? It is none of their business, and some people must lead pathetic lives because they have nothing to with themselves.

I have been in your shoes. That is why I bought a house. I am so thankful for the peace and quiet. If you can, make plans to move. Your neighbors aren't going to change. They sound like nut cases to me.

even living in a house you will most likely have to deal with neighbors. I have one neighbor that actually calls 911 or the cops when a cat goes on her lawn. I try my best to keep my cats in because I worry about her doing something to them or calling animal control to pick them up, but if you have cats you know they can dart under your feet quickly. one time a cat was on her car and I guess she assumed it was mines and called the cops on me because she was worried the cat would scratch up her car, on a summer Saturday night none the less, when I'm sure the cops had more important things to do then answer a call about a CAT on her car... I don't even think cats can scratch up a car just by walking on it.

This reminds me of a story my mom told me about her upstairs neighbor in NYC. The lady used to call the police at least once a week to complain that my mom's music was too loud (or something similar). The cops knew she was crazy, especially after one day my mom arrived home just behind the police officer who was knocking on her door to tell her her music was too loud, but they had to respond to the reports. Anyway, one day my mom was baking some banana bread or something and she wrapped up a loaf nicely and brought it upstairs and gave it to the crazy neighbor. She didn't mention the police complaints or anything, just said "I was baking bread and thought you might enjoy a loaf." After that the neighbor never called the cops on her again. Not saying you need to do this or that your neighbors would react the same way, but sometimes totally undeserved kindness can change other people's behavior more than anything else.

I'm sure the cops had more important things to do then answer a call about a CAT on her car... I don't even think cats can scratch up a car just by walking on it.

Plus, good luck trying to stop a cat from walking exactly where it has a mind to walk! Exercise in futility.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.