I feel like I've tried everything and nothing works!

I just posted this on a thread I opened, but if you've tried everything without success (which was about where I was), try an intestinal cleanse. Visit www.drnatura.com - this is the cleanse I'm on right now, and I'm seeing wonderful results. Many people report losing weight (some up to 20 pounds), but I've only lost about 5 pounds since starting my own cleanse. Still, 5 pounds is 5 pounds, and I think I'm on the path to finally losing more!

Also, try eating more if you're exercising a lot. I've posted this on a couple of other threads today, but I'll repeat it here: The more you exercise, the more calories you need - good quality calories, but you need more of 'em!! Watch the pounds melt away.

I haven't read all the replies but I watched my 17 year old son go from 201 lbs to 152 lbs and 8% bodyfat.This is how he did it:
Total commitment....wanted it so badly he was willing to do whatever it took

Running...built up slowly but consistently. A run around the cul de sac used to be enough to tire him...now he runs 6 miles and loves it.

Exercise every day, take one rest day per week. REally do the running, he did not do workout tapes. Once he began to shed some pounds, it was a great motivator.

Do weight training also but there are alot of overweight people with muscle so it's cardio, cardio, cardio

Watch everything you eat vigilantly. No crap. Requires willpower..you have to really want it..badly

I think you are on to something with your observations about thin people. I think we are all born with a certain appetite and satiety level. Thin people are able to feel full faster. I have known obese people that tell me they only feel full when they are stuffed. I personally think it's very difficult to change this biochemical balancing thing with just our willpower - but we can be the best we can be by eating healthy, exercising consistently (and doing the right mix of cardio and strength) and then watching portions. I also think some of us (me!) eat in response to emotions. I've spent a lot of bucks in therapy to undo that, and it's still a work in progress.

I am also a true believer in Weight Watchers. I do their on-line program. I think of it as my coach. I think all of us need a coach for this as we get older. It's much easier to be thin when you're younger, it gets harder and harder as we age.

The hard part for me is accepting that my natural appetite wants me to be about 5-10 lbs more than I like. I really have to work pretty hard to get below that. Right now I have 5 lbs left and I have to really watch it. Sometimes I am not sure that I want it, other days I have that "true believer" mentality that others mention. It's all a trade-off.

I'm actually grateful that I am not naturally thin like most of my family. I would not be as FIT if I could just be natually small like them.

Meredith

Meredith,
Very insightful post. I have heard that some people have a brain chemistry that allows them to derive more satisfaction from their food than others. It seems that people who become morbidly obese derive less satisfaction from their food, and must eat more to attain the same level of satisfaction than normal weight people do. I have no doubt that this is true, and I wonder if there are slight differences between people?
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.