I don't think I want to watch the news anymore....

Worknprogress

Cathlete
Spent a few days sick with a terrible stomach virus. Watched a bunch of fluff tv during it to pass the time.

This morning I am up early so I turn on the news. I watched some of CNN, MSNBC and Fox - which I usually do so I get view points from all sides.

All I can say, is IT IS DEPRESSING!! To hear all of the doom and gloom in our country and how much longer we're going to be in it to our children picking up the burden for the huge deficit we have now and continue to build to the lack of jobs now and in the near future and so on and so on and so on.

I also do a lot of reading on different sites but it all seems to have the same doom and gloom message.

I like being an informed citizen but it's depressing the heck out of me!!!! Anybody else feeling the same way?

This is why I skip the news. I know it's good to be informed and well read and all, but it just depresses the heck out of me.

ITA! IMO all the big network news is crap...and I love to watch Jon Stewart mock them all!!!

We just watch the local news on TV (they cover the local angle on national issues), and I listen to NPR for national stuff. They seem to actually give you the news without the excessive sensationalism...and treat you like you have a brain.

I don't catch the news on TV a lot but I do agree that the evening network news is depressing. I listen to NPR on the way into work and then on the way home if I leave early enough.

I get the news from the internet and choose what I want to read.

Informed facts is all I really want.

Janie

The news is crap. It's depressing and it's crap.

It's all hype, sensationalism, fear-mongering, and virtually free of facts. If you do watch The Colbert Report or Jon Stewart, you'll see how all newscasters use EXACTLY THE SAME WORDS to describe an event or person, etc. They are all reading from the same script. I don't see how any actual reporting is going on anymore. Reporters don't exist, only TV personalities than read a line to you. You'll also notice that when something that is "dangerous," "alarming," or "threatening," it is reported to death, but when it turns out to be a false alarm, bogus, or completely false information, we never hear a word about it. There are only a handful of corporations responsible for the "information" that gets out to the people, and to say that what they provide is news is the joke of the century. I hold no water to internet newspages, either. It's all the same thing, I just read it instead of hear it.

I stay away from it like the plague!! For those of you who believe that you're not well-informed from it, I say the opposite. You're not being bombarded with whatever ridiculous hype the media feeds you and you probably make more rational decisions about the world around you.

I stopped watching cable news months ago and it is the best thing I have ever done for my sanity and my blood pressure. I have a handful of blogs that I visit to get politics and policy analysis, I get my local news from a local channel provided by my cable channel and national news from a couple of free newspapers they handout in the city.

Stop watching cable news. The anchors really don't know what they are talking about, 90% of the "experts" on any of the issues are either partisan or paid (who if you have time to check the facts, and they know you don't, you will find that they are often wrong, wrong, wrong) the rest is gossip, guessing, campaigning and fear mongering - just turn it off. I now believe that these guys aren't even talking to their viewers anymore. Just to themselves, their colleagues on other networks and Washington insiders. Their reporting is just to get ratings, caring only about who's up who's down and rarely a concern for fact checking or serious conversation and analysis.

And I agree with the other poster who mentioned Jon Stewart and I would also recommend Stephen Colbert - they are funny, but serious.

I haven't watched the news in years. I figure if something big happens someone will be talking about it and I can research it on my own.

Spent a few days sick with a terrible stomach virus. Watched a bunch of fluff tv during it to pass the time.

This morning I am up early so I turn on the news. I watched some of CNN, MSNBC and Fox - which I usually do so I get view points from all sides.

All I can say, is IT IS DEPRESSING!! To hear all of the doom and gloom in our country and how much longer we're going to be in it to our children picking up the burden for the huge deficit we have now and continue to build to the lack of jobs now and in the near future and so on and so on and so on.

I also do a lot of reading on different sites but it all seems to have the same doom and gloom message.

I like being an informed citizen but it's depressing the heck out of me!!!! Anybody else feeling the same way?

I know exactly how you feel. I do not watch television at all as I can keep posted about events via the Internet.

But at the Nail Salon I patronize their television is always on a depressing channel.

It was there I learned about Marie Osmond's son's suicide.

I met Donnie and Marie twice at the Flamingo. Their show was great and they were very kind and loved their fans.

So it really hurt me to hear about Marie's son.

She and Donnie had gone on Larry King at some point during her son's rehab to talk about teenage substance abuse.

Anyway, every time I am the salon it is something else that upsets me. I know we need to be informed about the bad things in lives, but there are good things too. Unfortunately, the bad seems to take precedence over the good.

This sounds suck up I know, but Cathe is the person who has most brought me up when I was down. I can do a Cathe workout and it really helps me cope both physicially and mentally.

Last edited:
That's why we watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report! Just kidding. We read the news, but these two shows make it easier to stomach in the end!

A friend told me that she stopped watching or reading all news, saying ":If peace breaks out I'm sure I'll know aobut it."

The rest is not worth her time. And I agree. I listen to 20 minutes of news radio in the morning while driving to get the headlines. THAT'S IT!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.