I don't know WHY I'm so confused with STS!

jewels918

Cathlete
This morning I started with Meso 1, week 2, and my workout card says that my target weight is 65% of my 1RM. I don't have the exact weights for some of them, but I have the weight that I used in week one, so should I just use the same weight again this week? :confused: I want to get the most that I possibly can out of this series, but I'm afraid that if I don't follow this exactly, then I won't..

Quick example: On Wednesday, for my Seated Overhead Extensions One Arm (dumbbell), my target weight is 9 lbs. I don't have a 9 lb. dumbbell, I have and 8 lb. and a 10 lb. Which one should I use?

Plus, the fact that I couldn't finish my routine this morning because of extreme nausea didn't help (I think it was something I ate yesterday because I began to feel it after we went out to dinner).. I did do most of it, and I pushed myself very hard to get through what I could. Let's just say that it was very difficult for me to shake my all or nothing mentality this morning :(

Any suggestions on the weights would be so appreciated! Thanks so much!

Last edited:
It's helpful to have a pair of weighted 1 or 2 pound gloves for STS since many of the weight changes are very small. I would say try the 10's before the 8's and get as many reps as you can, but honestly, the 8's are fine too if you can only get half your reps with the 10's, I can usually tell when I pick up the weight and do the first rep if it's just too much.

I think the weekly increases are 5%. So if you have last weeks weights, just add 5% to them, again that's likely going to be 1-3 pounds, I like Cathe's weighted gloves to add 1 pound per hand, and I use 2 pound wrist weights when I need 2 pounds per hand, I do have 3 pound wrist weights but I hate them and just don't use them, they are huge and bulky and very difficult to use when lifting weights. I have found I would rather combine the 1 pound glove and the 2 pound wrist weight.

It's helpful to have a pair of weighted 1 or 2 pound gloves for STS since many of the weight changes are very small. I would say try the 10's before the 8's and get as many reps as you can, but honestly, the 8's are fine too if you can only get half your reps with the 10's, I can usually tell when I pick up the weight and do the first rep if it's just too much.

I think the weekly increases are 5%. So if you have last weeks weights, just add 5% to them, again that's likely going to be 1-3 pounds, I like Cathe's weighted gloves to add 1 pound per hand, and I use 2 pound wrist weights when I need 2 pounds per hand, I do have 3 pound wrist weights but I hate them and just don't use them, they are huge and bulky and very difficult to use when lifting weights. I have found I would rather combine the 1 pound glove and the 2 pound wrist weight.

Dela, that is wonderful advice! I do have the weighted gloves but never considered adding those! Thanks so much! And Congrats! It looks like your in the home stretch with your rotation! :)

Dela, that is wonderful advice! I do have the weighted gloves but never considered adding those! Thanks so much! And Congrats! It looks like your in the home stretch with your rotation! :)

Glad I could help! And thanks, I just did 35 yesterday so one more to go! Such a great program.

I love my weighted gloves for that reason too! Something else I've done also is to start out with say the 10#er and then, hurry and change to the 8#er if it gets to heavy to eek out the last few reps. But, the gloves are great for small increment changes.

I love my weighted gloves for that reason too! Something else I've done also is to start out with say the 10#er and then, hurry and change to the 8#er if it gets to heavy to eek out the last few reps. But, the gloves are great for small increment changes.

Thanks, Debbie! I'm going to also try that, and I'll keep my 8#er close by!

For Meso 1 I started with the same weight I wouldve used for that particular exercise in any of Cathe's other weight dvds, that seemed to work for me. When I started Meso 2, I went up to the next increment, so say if I did overhead presses with 8's in Meso 1 I'd start with 10's in Meso 2, if it wasnt heavy enough I'd just quickly go up and go up for the next set. If it was too heavy I'd just have to drop down or not complete all the reps. Don't sweat the small stuff ;) As long as "you're shakin' like a chihuahua" you're doing well!

Another option would be magnetic platemates. I bought 2 sets 1 1/4 pound each. I've found them helpful in M2 & M3 when I'm lifting the heavier weights. I have 15#, 20# & 25# dumbbells. The platemates stick to the end of the dumbbells and give me the right amount of incremental increase I need each week.

Lisa

I have weighted gloves, plate mates, wrist/ankle weights and just purchased place weights as well. Place weights are the same idea as plate mates only they come in .5# increments. They have been very useful to me so far...HTH.

Another option is adjustable ankle weights. I have ones that adjust in 1/2 lb increments up to 5 lbs. So, I use my 1 lb wrist weights and gloves when I need to add a bit more, but I can also add 3 or 4 lbs. instead of jumping up a full 5 lbs.

I have the 1 & 1/4# Plate Mates too and use them all the time. They are a bit pricey but I def have gotten my money's worth out of them. They even hook onto my rubber Troy Lite weight plates for adding small incerments of weight to my barbell.

Wow! You all ROCK! Thanks so much for all of the great tips! I think that I'm going to try a few of the different techniques that you all suggested!

I have the 1 & 1/4# Plate Mates too and use them all the time. They are a bit pricey but I def have gotten my money's worth out of them. They even hook onto my rubber Troy Lite weight plates for adding small incerments of weight to my barbell.

I second these! I got them for my 20 pound dumbells to get me up to the 25 pounders and they do the trick every single time. Its just enough weight (2.5 pounds) to get through that 5 pound sticking point. I also was using them with my barbell and my Troy plate weight. I got mine from Amazon, they are pricey, but worth it. Completely!

Plates Mates Work on Naprone Dumb Bells?

Hi All,

Sorry to interject. I am wondering if plates mates work on naprone-coated dumb bells or power blocks?

Thanks!

ilovefitness said:
Hi All,

Sorry to interject. I am wondering if plates mates work on naprone-coated dumb bells or power blocks?

Thanks!

I'm not at home right now, but I do have some of the neoprene hand-held weights, so I'll check later for you. If the power blocks have metal inside I would think they'd work.

Well, I did back and triceps last night, and I used the weighted gloves as suggested, and it worked perfectly for me! I'm still fairly new at all of this and can't lift very heavy weights, so at this point I think that was best for me. I will definitely be referring back to this thread on a regular basis as I'm able to lift more and as I begin to grow my equipment inventory! Thank you all so much for all of your input! It's so nice to have this supportive community! :D

I tried the plate mates on my neoprene covered dumbbells and they don't stick as well. I don't think I would trust them, especially if doing chest flys!

Lisa

Thanks!

Thank you for answering my question! :)

I am also doubtful about platemate magnets being able to hold on my neoprene weights. I don't have a large selection of neoprene dumb bells anyhow (3, 5, & 10). I mainly use those for higher reps and low weight workouts.

The weights I use most often is PowerBlocks that go up in 5 lb increments (from 5-50lbs). I am interested as to if anyone knows those platemates will stick on those blocks. PowerBlocks are made out of metal plates.

I have incorporated using Cathe's weighted gloves as well. I have one of those 1# kinds. Unfortunately, I think the fabric around the thumb holes are not stury enough. I think before long, the fabric will probably get completely torn up. I also wonder if anyone will be able to suggest any good weighted gloves as well.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.