I am an exercise snob!

RE: Big Picture Time

I wasn’t implying that you were being sneaky…I know sometimes we all say things that we later regret. So, someone might go back and delete a post because it sounded harsh or it just plain came out wrong. This would then lead people to believe they aren’t getting the full “story”. Also, I put “flame” in quotes because people tend to take things differently.

Either way, I just suggested that might be the case because it could have added to the whole debate. I only read this thread today so I didn’t know if there was more to it.

That was a joke, Sarah! I am kidding. I have got to stop this before I get into more trouble! Beside, I was re-reading and while I didn't like Roe's tone regarding my credentials or lack there of, I really didn't need to accuse her of a rivalry, did I? She's a knowledeble lady and an admirer of Cathe's and I could have kept this about the darned hip flexor! Is there a procedure for having those trouble makers removed?
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/user.gif Bobbi

You rhymed! Silly girl!! lol!!
Hey Deedee, glad to see another AC/DC fan here!!!!! God they have been kicking butt for ages now!!!
Trevor :)

Maribeth I am glad you are back and hope you'll continue making a presence here.
Just so everyone knows, Maribeth once answered an email of mine with a very detailed explanation/analysis of my workouts at the time and made some recommendations. I appreciate her input alot and thought that was very nice of her to go the extra mile for me..
Trevor :)

>You rhymed! Silly girl!! lol!!
>Hey Deedee, glad to see another AC/DC fan here!!!!! God they
>have been kicking butt for ages now!!!
>Trevor :)

Hi Trevor,

I'm an AC/DC nut! I work out to them all the time.
:p

Thanks for your input Maribeth. The lunge in question is a static lunge - split stance, with neither leg stepping forward or backward; the movement is in place (and the back leg is not elevated). Not sure if this makes a difference, but you are ahead of me in the education department, and I like to learn!

It is interesting how opinons of experts differ, because a few months back my company had a well known exercise physiologist and personal trainer come in to speak, and one of the exercises analyzed was a static lunge. This is where I learned that the back leg hip flexor was on stretch, and that tight hip flexors would inhibit the ability to do a proper lunge. Some kinesiologists analyze movement through joint action only, while others will point out the dynamic stabilizers, synergists, etc. Maybe his point was to give us the major muscles involved in the exercise.

Good to have you back on the forums!

-Roe

Hey, Roe,
Sadly enough, even some of the well known "exercise physiologists"--and not everybody who refers to themselves as such has an advanced degree in exercise science--don't understand the analysis of an exercise.

In all split leg stance positions, ie, lunges, the hip flexors, including the rectus femoris, of the rear leg ARE working. Too often, the people analyzing the exercise don't understand the difference between passive stretching and eccentric or end-range isometric contractions. It looks like this was the case with the person who came and spoke to your company.

Because of gravity and body position, the hip flexors HAVE to work even though there is little or no motion taking place at the rear hip. If the hip flexors didn't work, there WOULD be motion taking place due to body weight and gravity--the hip would be pushed to end range extension.

An analogy for this is the straight leg raise. Even though there is no motion taking place at the knee and all motion is taking place at the hip, all 4 quads are working--the rectus dynamically at the hip, and the other three quad muscles isometrically at the knee. Because of the effects of gravity on the lower leg, if the knee extensors weren't working, the knee would flex during the straight leg raise.

Does this make more sense?
Maribeth

Oh, Roe--something to really make your head spin--and I don't know the answer yet. As you descend into the lunge, knowing the iliopsoas and the rectus femoris are engaged as hip flexors, at which point is the iliopsoas working harder, based on the rectus femoris' contribution to knee extension and the angle at which the knee is during the descent?

This is one where angles, lines of pull, torque and active insufficiency really hit hard. I'll put more thought to this one tomorrow. My brain is tired!!:D
Maribeth

Maribeth and Roe, do you mind if I pick your brains regarding the problem with my hip flexor? Knock on wood, I haven't had much trouble in awhile. But there are times when I devote a great deal of attention to it since it tightens and aches and I feel the urge to stretch it constantly to relieve it. I have always attributed it to the severe over-pronation of my right foot but I have never had it properly diagnosed because most of my focus has been on my feet(orthotics,cortisone, PT, new orthotics, cortisone,PT sports orthotics, surgery. I had a really hard time coming to terms with not being able to do high impact, high intensity cardio.

I wouldn't describe it as pain nor does it seem to affect the joint, but rather the hip flexor itself siezes, throbs and I feel compelled to rotate the hip and I can't sit for any period of time without exaccerbating it. Stretching offers relief but one cannot stretch one's hip flexor every five minutes and not be thought of as the insane person!

When I got thouroughly depressed about being unable to run, I quit exercising altogether for a time. I eased back in rather slowly but found my hip flexor was badly affected. I did a bit of self diagnosis and decided it had to be due to the imbalance between my feet and besides being certain to wear my orthotics, I used yoga to stretch and strengthen my whole body before moving into strength training and moderate cardio. And it's working! Who would have thunk that cardio addiction could be such a bad thing! I am leaner and stronger than I've been in a long while. I know self-diagnosis can be a bad thing but my feet demand all my attention. Is it correct to attribute the hip problem on the left side to the imbalance on the right? It's all in the muscle. My hip joint seems fine.

Lately I have noticed pain through the arch of my right foot that is not dissimilar to the pain of PF which I found crippling for awhile, except it's through the arch and doesn't cause me to walk on my toes. It disappears soon after walking around and I am fine. It's on my to do list to call a highly recommended orthopedic doctor in case the right foot is in danger of joining it's partner in severe over-pronation but I am still in denial to a certain extent. One thing I have learned is feet affect the muscles of the body in a huge way. I pull my groin muscles with a frequency that alarms me. I am trying to exercise smart and listen to this old body so I can deal with problems as they arise and not let them sideline me again!

Me, me, me ,me me, me, me! Sorry, exercise has become a tremendous source of well-being for me and these constant injuries are disheartening, to say the least. I would love your feedback!

Bobbi,
You are right in thinking that the feet can affect the entire body. Severe overpronation leads to not only pain in the feet, but shin, knee, hip, SI and low back pain. It is all connected and when one part is out of alignment, the whole chain feels it.

My suggestion would be to get a good sports/orthopaedic physical therapist or athletic trainer to evaluate you--preferably one in private practice. The corporate places tend to practice what I call "Treat Your Own D*mn Self" therapy. A skillful therapist will not only look at your feet, but will assess the whole lower portion of the body for adaptive changes--changes which can lead to pain and problems.

The right therapist will help you get in proper orthotics to correct the overpronation, will assess you for muscle strength and length imbalances and prescribe corrective exercises as well as apply manual therapy techniques to both soft and bony tissue involved. Both my DH and I do this, but to do it adequately requires a hands-on approach.

Good luck with treatment and if I can answer any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].
Maribeth:)

Thanks, Maribeth! It's been on my to do list to call Dr. Wang, who works with the Universtiy of Arizona athletes and is quite reknowned. I'll bet he could recommend a great therapist. It's my intention to be very proactive with this and keep this in peak physical condition. I love that I just turned forty-one and am getting leaner and more well-muscled and not going the dogs in spite of mine! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/happy/wink.gif I know too many people who hit forty and decline rapidly! Biomechanically, I'm ill-designed for the kind of exercise I love but I remain hopeful that I can work around that!

Wow, Maribeth, that is certainly a lot of useful information and food for thought! It just goes to show that the saying, "You can't believe everything you hear" is right on! I actually had to get up out of my chair and do a split stance lunge. The confusing part is that the back hip isn't in "true" flexion like the front leg while you descend, and I think that's the problem (for me) right there. Perhaps many physiologists only analyze only what they see - the stuff that is glaringly apparent. So I think what you are saying is that a muscle does not have to be in it's appropriate joint action in order for it to be working?

In my job there are always fitness center members who ask me questions like "Why does a concentration curl feel so much harder than a standing biceps curl?", and I want to give them educated answers. I'd rather explain briefly about active insufficiency than just give a vague answer like, "Because you changed your body position". I need to find the balance between not enough and too much information.

Maribeth - what are your thoughts about Paul Chek? I have several of his video workshops and in one of them he touched on what you were saying about the pelvis and core causing muscle imbalances that can occur in the lower extremeties - but too many physical therapists, unlike you and your husband, fail to recognize that and treat only the affected body part(s). I find Paul's information very enlightening but am now hesitant to become a follower of any one faction of information. So confusing!

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.