I am afraid I won't be able to do the new workouts

Amy, I'm just reading this thread now, but I wanted to respond to you re: electroshock. My mom had EC therapy about 15 years ago - she was in a catatonic depression that was resistant to every med they'd tried (the depression was induced by an upset in her brain chemistry triggered by steroid therapy for athritis - very long story!) It was a last resort, but it worked. She was a bit foggy after the treatments for several hours, and she still has some holes in her memories of that time, but it worked, and she was back to her usual self in a couple months. I know it's a tough decision to make, it was very tough for our family to make (my mom was basically incapacitated and couldn't make any decisions about her treatment) but it worked, and we are so thankful for that. We really thought she might die, and I feel the EC saved her life.

Good luck w/ your decision. I'll be thinking of you.

And, while I'm not really scared about the new workouts, I know they are going to challenge me and kick my butt!:eek:

Hi--I don't have time to read the rest of the posts right now--I don't really like the stability (read--instability)ball either.

However, I don't really use Cathe for upper body weight training anymore. I'm using really heavy weights in the garage with my hubby and the smith machine. I probably won't use much of the upperbody stuff--at least not very often.

I love love love Cathe cardio and legs still, and I cannot wait for the new workouts, because of all the cardio and cardio/leg circuit premix options.

I'm afraid, but in a good way.

Also, I've always found that Cathe is pretty easy to modify, so modify away and enjoy! I'll bet you'll do great!!

Maggie:7

I am the last person to use age as a freaking excuse. However, since I've been physically active since I enrolled in dance classes at age 3, my joints have normal wear and tear.

Now about depression -- it's hell to have it like I do.

This is not a situational type of depression.

It is debilitating.

Meds don't help, so don't give me that. I could write a book on pharmaceuticals for depression.

I don't need psychotherapy -- I get tired of rehasing the past to no avail.

I can't explain the type of depression I have, but it HURTS like HELL!

And I think you should think twice before going off the deep end and jump down my throat.

Until you live one day in another's disease, don't offer dimestore advice.

I refer everyone to this woman's email to me.

OUR PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESSES NEED TO BE PRIVATE.

I just found a way to make our emails private.

I do not need this type of message in my private emails.

This is harassment and totally uncalled for -- behavior like this is unacceptable to me.

I have enough to cope with just trying to not swallow a bottle of pills or put a gun into my mouth.

I've tried to do it 5 times now and people like this have NO CONCEPTION of what they are talking about.

I've been hospitalized countless times.

This woman is 57 years old and has nothing better to do than harass people in their PRIVATE Email?

This post reminds me of the people who used to get thrown out of Group Therapy Sessions when I was in the hospital:

No one is jumping down your throat. I'm just trying to be supportive, and will
not waste my time doing so any more, especially in the Cathe forums. You are
one of the nastiest people I've ever encountered there (this opinion goes way
back, by the way). I will add again that I HAVE walked in your shoes as far as
having suffered from depression. It's people like you who want me to just stay
away from posting, which I did for two years.

Honeybunch

Oh, and she asks my experience with depression?

I am LEGALLY Disabled and can't work -- and I did not even have to appeal to get Social Security. I got it the first time I applied.

I want to have ECT, but my husband is really against it.

He prefers that I explore Vagus Nerve Stimulation.

I know our insurance will cover ECT, but not so sure about VSN.

My psychiatrist said I am defintely a candidate for ECT or VSN.

I don't mind being foggy for a while.

That would be a blessing for me.

I just begin to find a place to have intelligent and fun conversation and somebody has to write me a hate letter in my private Email.

I have little to hang on to -- and now I have nothing.

I don't know why some people get behind a computer and write things they would never say in polite company.

Honeybunch:

my experience with depression goes back to the age of 15, I'm 41 now and can't seem to find much relief. So, no, I wasn't here to 'lecture' you with or without knowledge of the condition. It's odd that you use the word 'lecture' because you also have a tendency to shoot straight from the hip, as I do: and you don't like receiving it, huh?

I didn't say you were not welcome at the forums. No-one owns them. I just thought this particular post was not helpful. I know you have stayed away from the forums in the past. So have I. I also know that you and I don't see eye to eye on very much, which is why I don't talk to you directly usually. However, on this occasion, I felt it was warranted. And exactly because you have experience of depression, that is why I find it difficult to understand why you would speak to another sufferer in this fashion.

That's all.

Clare

I said I was politely dropping out of this discussion, so let's drop it, shall we, Miss Clare?

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

>How do you modify IMAX 3? It is the 7th interval that I just
>could not do well.
>

Hugs to you and your struggle with depression.

I like to modify Cathe's harder intervals by using my spin bike or Nordic Track. I'll do the step section until the blast that I want to modify and get on the bike and go for it. My knees are happier. I read this suggestion on another forum and thought it was great.

Sandi

You know, Miss Honeybunch, whoever you are, me responding to words you addressed to me is perfectly reasonable. You can bow out whenever you want. You don't have to keep gnawing at the bone. And neither do you need to be so patronizing. It is a pity you chose to use the pm system as you did. I have to agree with Amy, that really isn't what it was intended for.

Clare

And I am the nastiest person here?

Honeybunch, have you thought about hormone replacement for these hateful mood swings?

Dropping out?

She is too busy harassing people in their private email, which is the equivalent of walking through a door at a person's home without ringing the bell.

I was apalled with her taking time to find my private email and then write that email to me.

I thought I'd just make it public -- being the nasty person I am.

I've had it - and I'll not say any more about this person.

I refuse to have her run me off these forums.

Most of the people here are nice and supportive and that is the way we should be -- we are a community.

I know there are many who don't post here and I know why -- they are afraid of being flamed.

I don't expect anybody to take sides since there are two to every story.

Now I am going to get over to Target to see the new Go International line of clothing.

And I have the new workouts to look forward to. I may have to modify, but I will give the workouts all I can.

End of story -- until I do the workouts!

Kind regards,

Amy

Amy, don't let one negative e-mail chase you away from these forums. There are a lot of supportive people here. Stay with us!:)

Amy,

I for one, can't wait to see what you think after you do the workouts. Hey, you're so much more ahead of the game than me...I didn't order any of them since I'm still a little new to Cathe's workouts, but I love the ones that I've done so far. The only new one that I might order in the future is the Low Impact one, since I love her other Low Impact and I'm crazy about Low Max (though I STILL haven't done the whole thing with blast through and through, but I'm striving for it!)

Hope you are pleasantly surprised. If you find that they are not your cup of tea, at least you tried! I know I'm rooting for you to totally kick butt!

Best of luck to you!

Amy:

I don't know what your beliefs are, but some "new age" (I hate that term, but that's what people call it) theorists suggest that depression is a sign that you aren't doing with your life what you were meant to do, and that once you get back on track with what your life's purpose is, the depression will resolve itself. It has something to do with the soul knowing that you're not on the right path...or something like that.

I'm not a new ageist, but I find the belief system fascinating and see merit in some of what it teaches (and find other parts a bit "out there"). Also, when traditional beliefs and medicine fail to provide answers, it doesn't hurt to open some new doors.

BTW: My friend was suffering some mild depression and started taking St. John's Wort and she was astounded at the huge, positive change in her demeanor. Her depression disappeared. Perhaps you could try herbal therapies, holistic doctors, acupuncture, yoga and "mudras" (I hope I got that last one right -- I've never tried it, but saw a book on it once), iridologists, etc. Whatever you try, though, I think you're definitely doing your body and mind a world of good by exercising. They say that exercise releases chemicals in the body that naturally fight depression, illness, and anxiety. Keep it up!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.