Hysterectomy--what did you do while recovering?

Denise R

Cathlete
Hi all!

Looks like I will soon be having a partial hysterectomy and was curious to know if anyone here has had one and if so, what did you do (exercise wise) while recovering? I know the dr said pretty much nothing but I was wondering if walking or stationary bike would be okay? I know I'll ask at the next f/up appt but was just curious, as 4-6 weeks is such a long time not to do anything. Also I was thinking maybe Squeeze type toning for upper body using 1 to 3 lb weights....

Would love to hear what others have went through....I am going to work on my diet (as I still want to lose a few pounds) and get lots of SLEEP!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me!

Denise

Hi Denise,
I had a total hysterectomy 4 years ago and I remember sleeping a lot afterward! Mine was laparoscopically (sp?)-assisted, so I only had 3 tiny incisions. I did some walking, pulling a few weeds,(once I could bend over/crouch down properly!) nothing strenuous. If I recall, I don't think I really felt like doing any exercise for the first few weeks afterward - I guess my body was trying to tell me to just let it heal itself! I don't think I did any weight training at all until after I went for my 6 or 8 wk checkup when I was cleared to do anything I wanted.

I think maybe some light upper-body work might be ok after checking with your doctor first, but you should take advantage of the rest time to recuperate and let yourself heal! Don't push yourself! My doctor said something to the effect not to overdo it because you don't want to make other stuff in there fall down! (I'm sure he used more clinical terms!)

Take care and good luck to you!

Hi Dennis,

I am in week 7 after a total hysterectomy done lapriscopily. I have always exercised and was also concerned about doing nothing. I was told all I could do was walk. For the first week I just walked in the house, then outside around the house. The next week it was down the block and then around the block and so on. As I felt better I went further and then a little faster. I always took my cell phone with and one day when I went too far I had to call my DH to come get me. I was told that I had one chance to get the healing inside right and should not mess that up. So listen to your body and make sure you take the time to get lots of rest. A good web site for info is www.hystersisters.com. Oh yeah, and take advantage of not doing any vacuuming! I am trying to get the Dr. to tell my husband that I can't ever do that again.;) Good luck and be sure and take good care of yourself and let other take care of you too.

Hi Denise--

I had a partial hysterectomy by laparoscopy about 6 years ago. I was back to exercising within a week, and the doctors told me that this would be the case unless I somehow had complications. Laparoscopy is minimally invasive and I was in the hospital over night and went home the following day. I still have my ovaries and cervix. My problem was a grapefruit-sized fibroid that caused endless bleeding and anemia. I guess I was very lucky.

Thanks for the advice ladies! Mine is supposed to be laproscopic as well. He explained the 3 small incisions. I'll keep the ovaries (unless anything looks bad enough to take 'em) but the plan is only a partial. Thanks for the website, I'll take a look at it.

Last edited:
Hi Denise--

I had a partial hysterectomy by laparoscopy about 6 years ago. I was back to exercising within a week, and the doctors told me that this would be the case unless I somehow had complications. Laparoscopy is minimally invasive and I was in the hospital over night and went home the following day. I still have my ovaries and cervix. My problem was a grapefruit-sized fibroid that caused endless bleeding and anemia. I guess I was very lucky.

What kind of exercise were you allowed to do 1 week after surgery? (since you are having the same type surgery I plan on having) Just walking or pretty much what you were used to doing?

I had mine in may and laparascopic as well. My recovery was a piece of cake. My doc told me I could do whatever I felt I could, that my body would tell me when to slow down. I pretty much walked the first week, but by week three was back into ALL my regular activity, including Gym Styles and p90X. I lost weight right after the surgery to boot! And unlike what he told me to expect, i did not find the need to nap alot. Don't worry, if you are reasonably fit going into it, you will find yourself back to your regular activity in no time! Good luck!

Hi Denise,

I don't have any advice, just wanted to send you lots of healing energy, hugs and prayers!

Hang in there sister, and know you are supported!

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Pam

i did alot of walking, no lifting for 6 weeks. tough to stay away that long but your body will be using lots of energy to heal itself. i think it's better to take it easy on yourself. i didn't have a hysterectomy but I would imagine the healing is the same for most major surgeries. everyone is different but you will know when it's best for you. good luck on the surgery, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Denise- I had a total 18 months ago. All I can say is follow your Drs orders! Your recovery instructions will be based on how the surgery itself went + the type of surgery. My Dr said I recovered in record time but that didnt mean the INSIDE was fully recovered. I felt tired for about 2 weeks but did 100% commit to the post op plan. That meant no washing clothes, no cooking with pots & pans, no cleaning! ENJOY IT GIRL! :eek:

At week 3 I felt INCREDIBLE but Dr explained that internally I could still rupture stiches... thats the worst scenario- the other thing that could happen if you dont follow orders is that you'll just pro-long your recovery because you'll over-do.

The 6 weeks goes by in no time flat..Use it as a time to plan your get back in shpae strategy and to heal your body.
It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Much luv to you!

Thanks everyone! I think I will just take the 4-6 weeks and enjoy the rest....maybe just do simple walking if I want, nothing major, like walking the stores. I think this might be a good thing for me since I'm such a "gotta do this" type person when it comes to exercise (exercising twice a day, 6-7 days a week) so my body will enjoy the rest. I think my hubby will enjoy taking care of me since I took care of him during his lower leg amputation earlier this year! ;)

I feel so loved! Thanks all!!

Follow up...recovering from my surgery yesterday

Hey everyone, had surgery yesterday...I had some really strange stuff going on. 1st my uterus was tipped so far back it was laying on my pelvic bone, 2nd the doc found something he's never seen before....the protective fat tissue underneath your muscle (not the fat on top or the icky stuff) had somehow attached itself to my abdominal wall and twisted it all up! OUCH! My uterus was globular, which hubby looked up and it basically means I had endometriosis that backed up into the uterus muscle and WOULD NOT RESOLVE ITSELF! Only treatment for it was the partial hysterectomy. No wonder I was in constant chronic pain throughout the entire month! Hubby brought his laptop to the hospital so I can "check in" and I'm sure that I'll feel 100% in no time! My pain has been a 1-2 and I was on the morphine only a couple hours yesterday afterward. (the only real pain I ended up getting was I got a KILLER migraine that had me physically sick which wasn't good for my tummy) Once they got the migraine under control, I was lots better. I'm hoping for an uneventful recovery! ;)

Thanks ladies for listening and all your kind words!

Denise

Denise its so good to hear from you! Thank you for the updates!! WOW! is all I can say...Thank God you had that surgery.
Take it easy and keep in touch!

Hey everyone, had surgery yesterday...I had some really strange stuff going on. 1st my uterus was tipped so far back it was laying on my pelvic bone, 2nd the doc found something he's never seen before....the protective fat tissue underneath your muscle (not the fat on top or the icky stuff) had somehow attached itself to my abdominal wall and twisted it all up! OUCH! My uterus was globular, which hubby looked up and it basically means I had endometriosis that backed up into the uterus muscle and WOULD NOT RESOLVE ITSELF! Only treatment for it was the partial hysterectomy. No wonder I was in constant chronic pain throughout the entire month! Hubby brought his laptop to the hospital so I can "check in" and I'm sure that I'll feel 100% in no time! My pain has been a 1-2 and I was on the morphine only a couple hours yesterday afterward. (the only real pain I ended up getting was I got a KILLER migraine that had me physically sick which wasn't good for my tummy) Once they got the migraine under control, I was lots better. I'm hoping for an uneventful recovery! ;)

Thanks ladies for listening and all your kind words!

Denise

Denise, I'm glad you made it through surgery and now you're on the road to recovery! (Sorry about the migraine, though)

I had kind of the same thing you had, only they called mine adenomyosis, which they said was endometriosis of the uterus. Combined with fibroids, the pain had become excrutiating! The pain after my hysterectomy was nothing compared to the pain before!!

Take care, rest, and before you know it you'll be back to your old self, only better, because you'll be pain free!!!

Denise, I'm glad you made it through surgery and now you're on the road to recovery! (Sorry about the migraine, though)

I had kind of the same thing you had, only they called mine adenomyosis, which they said was endometriosis of the uterus. Combined with fibroids, the pain had become excrutiating! The pain after my hysterectomy was nothing compared to the pain before!!

Take care, rest, and before you know it you'll be back to your old self, only better, because you'll be pain free!!!

That is exactly what it was called--Adenomyosis! Hubby is the greatest researcher! I feel better already, especially knowing that it wasn't all in my head, lol! ;)

That is exactly what it was called--Adenomyosis! Hubby is the greatest researcher! I feel better already, especially knowing that it wasn't all in my head, lol! ;)

LOL. I know the "all in your head" feeling! At first the pain was just at that time of month, then towards the end, it was all month long, and it also hurt and ached all the way down my right leg. I saw one gyno about the pain and he examined me and said, "Well, I could send you for an ultrasound, but there's really nothing there." So he gave me some pain pills (which didn't work) and sent me on my way. A trip to another gyno (who apparently attended medical school, unlike the first one!!!) proved that it wasn't all in my head! He examined me AND sent me for an ultrasound, and hysterectomy was the only recourse. Wahoo!!!!

I hope you're feeling better. Take care!:)

Denise,

I am so glad you are mentioning the leg thing because I was having pain going into my left one.....wow! Plus can you imagine that big 'ole weighty uterus laying on my pelvic bone? I would constantly ask my hubby to rub the pelvic bone, especially when it was that time of month and he'd say it can't be your bone, it is your muscles, again, glad I wasn't "crazy" because that is where I felt the pain---IN THE BONE! Thanks for listening, doc might be sending me home tonight, yeah!

Denise

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.