How to stop biting nails?

Mercurial

Cathlete
Hello, ladies!

I have been biting my nails for the past ten years, and I've regretted starting up the habit for the past nine. :p

I have purchased some of that funny tasting nail polish and am also going to wear gloves around the house so I wont chew, too.

But I've come to the conclusion that my nail biting probably isnt a nervous habit. I just like to have things in my mouth. For instance, I sucked my thumb until I was about eight years old, and when I finally kicked that habit, I started biting my nails and developed a strong attachment to chewing gum. (I'm eighteen now, by the way.)

So I was thinking that I'd buy a Sam's Club-sized pack of chewing gum (I like Stride and Trident a lot) so that I can have something in my mouth --and it could work as a preventative because who wants to have nail bits in with their gum, right? :p

Is chewing a lot of gum (three to four pieces a day) an okay thing as long as I stay away from the sugarless kind? (I know aspartame is in the sugarless kind.)

And do you guys have any other suggestions for me? I really want to kick this habit. I'm tired of having split nails and bleeding around my cuticles. It hurts! Plus, I wouldnt mind being able to paint my nails every once in a while. :)

To be perfectly honest, the only thing that got me out of the habit of biting my nails, was getting a manicure and getting tips put on!! You won't bite them, TRUST ME! So go treat yourself! ;)

Iris

Hi Mercurial,
I've seen your posts on the other threads about your diet concerns and emotional issues. I'd have to say that this ties directly into them.
Please talk to someone. Being orally fixated is just a component of what you're dealing with.

I'm not suggesting that everyone that bites their nails has emotional issues to confront. But in your case, I think it's a direct correlation.

I'm simply expressing my concern for your situation, so please don't take offense!

And on the surface, I have to agree with Pinny. Doing my nails or getting them professionally done are a good way to stop.

My husband picks his nails off to the point where they sometimes bleed. Two things have helped him: first, getting weekly manicures has made the most difference. It makes him more aware of what he's doing and also keeps the edges smooth so there's less temptation to pull at the little rough edges. Second, he keeps those little magnetic stone things in his pocket so he has something to fidget with.

It's not a bad idea to see if you can resolve the underlying issues. My husband is just a worrier and although he does try to work on that, it may never change so he also has to deal with the symptoms more immediately.

Nail Biting

Hi,

I've bit my nails for years and can't afford the cost of acrylics/gel nails to quit biting them. Last fall, when my boyfriend left for work to another state, I finally decided to "do something for myself". So, even as a single mom, working full-time, taking care of the household responsibilities, and attending grad school, I give myself weekly (usually) manicures and polish them. I haven't bit them since last October! I either polish them a color or I use 2 polishes to make them look like a French Manicure. I also put a coat of Nail Envy on them every other day, too!

Hope that helps! You can do it!

Patti:D

Man, if someone has the answer to this, let me know!!!! I've bitten my nails forever. I chew on my pens, too. My dad bites his nails, and now DS does it. I know he learned it from me. If I paint them, it helps, but once I cheip the polish, or snag a nail, its over. I can't help it. Its a nasty habit, too. I tell DS not to do it, but he sees me do it. UGH!

Nan

In the past, I kept my nails polished and briefly stopped biting them. However, I hate using that crap (and would never go the fake nails route) so it never lasted long.

But a few months ago I decided to grow my hair and thought why not try growing my nails too? So I added some hair/nail vitamins (biotin and b-complex) and thought I'd just try grooming my nails naturally. I started by just using a 4 sided nail buffer which helped me shape them as they grew out and make them pretty and shiny and snag free. Now I still use the buffer but also have a nail brush to keep them clean and some stronger files for more substantial shaping.

I think the problem with me before was that as my nails grew, they were so uneven and raggedy, so I'd bite them in order to "groom" them. So once I figured out the right way to really groom them, I have completely stopped biting and they are longer and stronger than they've ever been! In fact, I haven't broken a nail at all. It's really amazing! Of course, DH now says he prefers them short, but for now I am just going to keep growing for the fun and newness of it.

ETA: Here is a link to a 4-sided nail buffer. You can find these things pretty much everywhere: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P185801

Last edited:
Put vitamin E oil on them, the little capsules will work. It tastes terrible and helps soften the cuticles at the same time. Works like a champ. I was a nail biter in junior high, this worked for me.

I did it by putting adhesive tape on two nails at once until they grew out. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Once they grew out, I started doing my nails myself.

I am too lazy now to do them myself, and I like to get manicures and pedicures. Of course, working out beats up your feet, even if you wear thorlo padded socks and Ryka shoes. Good luck! If a nail breaks, it is very hard for me not to start biting it again.

I used to bite my nails (finger AND toes...I know, TMI!) when I was younger. Manicuring/polishing does help (though for a while, I'd peel off polish rather than bite my nails), and making sure that there are no jagged edges (which may be tempting to chew off) is important.

I did the same for a long time, but what it did help me was put garlic on it... yes peel a garlic and rub in you'll see that you don't want to put that in your mouth hehehe!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.