How to stay fit when sick

a1wish

Cathe I would like to know what you recommend to those who are dealing with sickness that impairs physical ability? Which of your workouts would be doable to keep one's commitment even when sick with symptoms such as severe weakness, lightheadedness, profound fatigue, and faster sense of burning when exerting oneself (lactic acid?).

My body is telling me to rest but I am afraid to do nothing and lose my fitness capacity. Thank you.

Not Cathe (obviously) but I will say from experience that your biggest challenge when sick is to keep your fitness HABIT. The fitness level itself is something you can get back but, man, if you lose the habit of working out, it can be extremely difficult to recover. So...my suggestion is to not worry too much about *what* exactly you are doing, but make sure you keep going through motions. If that means putting on your workout clothes, going to the basement or the garage or wherever you workout and just doing stretches for 10 minutes...do it. The habit is so, so easy to lose. Work to keep it. You can worry about challenging yourself later, when you feel up to it again.

Also not Cathe. I've found the important thing is to listen to what my body is telling me. If even getting up and walking from one room to the next is profoundly exhausting, that means I need to let myself rest, period.

I suggest having a conversation with your doctor, as he/she/they will know what's ailing you in the first place and can make professional recommendations based on that background knowledge. Maybe what you've got going on requires lots of bed rest and minimal activity. Maybe what you have is something that's ok if you take a light 10-minute walk or do some stretching. You won't know for sure until you have that discussion.

Since I just now noticed the date of the original post, I'm assuming you're long past the illness and hope you're much better and back to your regular level of activity.

I find that the most important thing for me is to keep the habit of working out. It's important for me to keep that workout 'slot' available for myself. When I'm sick, I tend to fall behind on things. So, when I'm feeling better, I will spend my workout time trying to 'catch up' on things that didn't get done when I wasn't feeling well. So, what I do to keep my 'slot' open is a walking video (I like Jessica Smith). They vary in length from 10 to 30 minutes. Or, I do QiGong (I like Lee Holden). If I have a bit of energy, the walking video is what I choose. If I'm sick, I find QiGong to be rather healing. My workout 'slot' is actually about an hour, but I don't worry about how much time I'm dedicating to fitness when I'm ill. For me, it's more about just keeping the habit of putting my fitness first for a part of each day. If I'm feeling up to it, I sometimes do one of Cathe's stretches later in the day. I find that it relieves some of the aches, pains, and stiffness that end up being a side effect of resting. I hope your symptoms were temporary. If they are long term and you haven't seen a doctor yet, please do so. There's no use in living with those symptoms if you have a diagnosable/treatable condition. I do find that working out (lightly) does seem to promote faster recovery. The walking, QiGong, and/or stretching don't usually even require that I change into workout clothes. I usually wear 'slop' clothes such as yoga pants and a T-shirt or P.J.s when I'm not feeling well. They aren't the sexiest outfits, but they do the job just fine for the workouts I do when ill. After I think I've recovered from an illness, I like to do Jessica Smith's Fusion Strength (steady state cardio with light toning type strength) from her Feel Good Fusion DVD if I'm not confident in how recovered I actually am. Or, If I'm pretty confident, I do a shorter (premixes are great for this) or easier (ex. no risers under step or use lighter weights) Cathe workout to get me back into the groove without pushing myself too hard. If the shorter/easier Cathe workout turns out that it wasn't enough for me, I add a short yoga DVD at the end for a bit of strength, flexibility, and mobility to make my workout feel more complete and to make sure that my body is ready to move full force the next day with a regular Cathe workout. I found that a 'test day' to make sure I'm recovered is very important for my health. My stubbornness and will power is often stronger than my body, so I have been known to push myself too hard too soon, causing me to be sick again. I don't do that anymore. I take that one day to 'test' my body and pay attention to what it's telling me. If I feel good after the workout, I go back to my normal workouts. If I don't, I back off. If your symptoms are chronic and your doctors have said that they don't limit your ability to workout, then, I will tell you from my own personal experience what I do for safety. I don't use risers for most step routines and I only use one riser on each side for routines that I've mastered and only when I'm having a good day. I lift heavy only when my husband is home. When he's not, I still strength train, but I do more reps with lighter weights. I listen to my body (that one was the hardest adaptation, and I still struggle with it at times). I do yoga, stretching, QiGong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, go for a hike, etc. on my recovery days, and I now take two recovery days, rather than one, because that's what my body needs. Observe the times of days that you have the most symptoms and avoid working out at that time. For me, I have to work out in the morning, as my neuromediated syncope symptoms worsen throughout the day. See if temperature is affecting your symptoms. I have to crank the air conditioning if I want to get through a workout with no dizzy spells. Also, a lot of people can do their workout before eating. I am not one of those people. If I haven't put some calories in my body, I will pass out during a workout. If, when I start my day, I can tell that I'm having a bad day, I stick with steady state cardio, rather than HIIT, 'blasts', intervals, circuit, etc. Be willing to be flexible. Read your body and do what it needs. There's no use ignoring it or arguing with it (believe me, I've tried), as it will do what it needs in order to protect itself. My body will shut down if I ignore it's warnings. If your symptoms are 'midlife', well, I hope somebody has some suggestions, because I'm still feeling my way through that one. :) I hope you are feeling better.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.