How to get a pill down a cat?

LastTango

Cathlete
My kitty Josie has some kind of allergy that we are trying to cope with. She is constantly licking her belly and one leg, almost to the point of it being raw. We are working with a vet....trying different things.

Right now I am have to give her an antihistamine to help relieve the itching. She is not cooperative to say the least. I've tried coating the pill in butter (worked the first time), wrapping it in cheese (didn't work), and putting a drop of honey on it to make it taste not so bad. This morning didn't work at all....lots of slobber and foam. I know this stuff tastes bad.

The worst part is that she looks at me with such a hurt face :(....sorry kitty, but I'm trying to help you.

Any other ideas on how to get a pill down a cat and make it a less traumatic experience?

They have these little treats called pill pockets. I think that's what they are called. You can ask your vet or most pet stores sell them. They come in a little package. I would ask my vet for a couple to try and see if they help. There is also this long plastic thing you put the pill in, put it in the kitty's mouth and push the pill down the cat's throat. You can also ask your vet if her meds come in a gel form that you just rub on her ear. I would definitely do that--ask for a gel. I know I had this for one of my guys for a variety of illnesses that required medication. The gel was a blessing. Good luck.

Coat it in butter (not to make it taste better, to make it slide easier). Sit down, holding her body across your lap, and securing her under one arm, facing up. Grab the nape of her neck tightly, tilt her head back, squeeze it in through the side of her mouth, making it sure it goes down her throat and not releasing until it does. If she spits it out, keep trying. Eventually she learns that the less she struggles, the faster the whole horrid thing is over with. And she won't hate you forever. I promise.

Not an expert with cats, but the nurse in me says to crush it, mix with something she likes and feed to her. Or crush, put in small amount of liquid and pull up in small syringe, put in her mouth along the cheek. She is forced to swallow at that point and it takes just a few seconds at that poi
T. Good luck!!

I second every one else's comments. The pill pockets are marvelous as is the pet piller! If this fails, I usually have the meds compounded into a fish or chicken based liquid that can be given or a transdermal gel. This is usually for more chronically needed meds, however, such as thyroid or seizure medications. I say try the pill pockets first - I was skeptical, but have several owners that swear by them. I do find that crushing them doesn't always work - esp. if the meds are bitter.

Thanks for suggestions. I had already thought about the pill pockets, but she chews her food (unlike a dog). I'm not sure how if she'll just eat the good part and spit out the pill. I'll stop by Petco tonight and see if they have some so I can try it. I also thought about crushing it up and putting it in some tuna, but she's pretty smart when it comes to things like that. Hard to slip anything past this girl of mine.

I have heard about having the meds made into a flavored solution or paste, but where do you go to get this done? I would guess some pharmacies can do this...I'll check into it. If I could get it made into a gel, that would be awesome.

Someone at work today suggested rubbing some Aloe Vear juice or gel on her belly to help soothe it. I'll have to look into that as well.

I just read that Aloe is toxic to cats. So much for that!

Last edited:
I've tried everything that other posters have suggested when feeding my cat pills, and the only thing that has worked for me is crushing the pill (using a mortar and pestle) and mixing it with her food. It works like a charm.

Thanks for suggestions. I had already thought about the pill pockets, but she chews her food (unlike a dog). I'm not sure how if she'll just eat the good part and spit out the pill. I'll stop by Petco tonight and see if they have some so I can try it. I also thought about crushing it up and putting it in some tuna, but she's pretty smart when it comes to things like that. Hard to slip anything past this girl of mine.

I have heard about having the meds made into a flavored solution or paste, but where do you go to get this done? I would guess some pharmacies can do this...I'll check into it. If I could get it made into a gel, that would be awesome.

Someone at work today suggested rubbing some Aloe Vear juice or gel on her belly to help soothe it. I'll have to look into that as well.

I just read that Aloe is toxic to cats. So much for that!

That was going to be my note- Aloe is toxic to everyone, not just cats!

I've tried everything that other posters have suggested when feeding my cat pills, and the only thing that has worked for me is crushing the pill (using a mortar and pestle) and mixing it with her food. It works like a charm.

My DH is a Vet and this is what he says works the best!

We had to give our two cats ringworm meds for 28 days. We would take a little piece of tuna that comes in a pkg (or can) and squish it around the pill. It would look like a little ball. Our cats would go crazy over it! They actually looked forward to getting their pill every night.

[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]An oldie but a goodie:
[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]

HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL
IN TWENTY EASY STEPS
[/SIZE]
cat-kitten-bar.jpg

1. Sit on sofa. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your elbow as though you were going to give a bottle to a baby. Talk softly to it.
  2. With right hand, position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. (be patient) As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow. Drop pill into mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.
  3. Pick the pill up off the floor and go get the cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process. Sit on floor in kitchen, wrap arm around cat as before, drop pill in mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.
  4. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Scoot across floor to pick up pill, and go find the cat. Bring it back into the kitchen. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten. Drop pill into mouth.
  5. Pry claws from back legs out of your arm. Go get the cat, pick up half-dissolved pill from floor and drop it into garbage can.
  6. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of closet. Call spouse from backyard. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
  7. Retrieve cat from curtain rod, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
  8. Get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
  9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with rubber band.
  11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take another pill from foil wrap.
  13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour one cup of water down throat to wash pill down.
  14. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.
  15. Get last pill from bottle. Go into bathroom and get a fluffy towel. Stay in the bathroom with the cat, and close the door.
  16. Sit on bathroom floor, wrap towel around kitty, leaving only his head exposed. Cradle kitty in the crook of your arm, and pick up pill off of counter.
  17. Retrieve cat from top of shower door (you didn't know that cats can jump 5 feet straight up in the air, did you?), and wrap towel around it a little tighter, making sure its paws can't come out this time. With fingers at either side of its jaw, pry it open and pop pill into mouth. Quickly close mouth (his, not yours).
  18. Sit on floor with cat in your lap, stroking it under the chin and talking gently to it for at least a half hour, while the pill dissolves.
  19. Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for 7-1/2 hours.
  20. Arrange for SPCA to get cat and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

I have never found that crushing it and adding it to food works. I only wish it did. Your vet should know where it can be made into a gel--if possible. My vet would send away for the gel until fortunately a compounding pharmacist opened shop in my town. Not only that but he took courses in pet meds at a vet college. I love this man. Good luck!

I have two cats

You can try crushing the pill up and mixing it into Josie's food. It is very hard to get a pill down a cat's throat, but you can do it with two people, one to hold the cat and open her mouth, and you to put the pill down. Then, again, she can still spit it out. With my cats I had found that the crushing works.

Also make sure that if you do pill her with a pet piller or yourself to follow the pill with a syringe of water to help "push the pill down" and keep it from prolonged contact with the esophagus.

This is what I do with my dog. Don't know if it will work with a cat... but...

My dog likes plain yogurt. So I take the pill and dip it in the yogurt. Then I try to stuff it down his throat and then take the remaining yogurt on my finger and put it on his nose so he has to lick the yogurt off and will swallow the pill.

That was going to be my note- Aloe is toxic to everyone, not just cats!
?? I've never heard that. Any links to info?

Maybe the outer part is toxic, but the 'filet' inside is very beneficial topically, and is used in some internal products as well.

I found a list of plants that are toxic to cats on the Cat Fancier's Association page. You pretty much can't keep too many plant around cats it seems. I can't keep them in my house anyway, because they pick all the petals off!!

Whether you try a piller or the butter-on-the-pill trick, sometiimes it's technique as well as format that helps.

I find two techniques work most of the time: both are designed to keep claws out of the way and to restrain the cat (gently).
1) 'mount' the cat by putting him/her between your legs as you are kneeling on the floor. You will not actually be putting weight on top of kitty, just holding her/him between your legs, with cat on the floor (if cats are not in a somewhat comfortable position, part of their struggling with be due to that).
2) wrap kitty in a towel, with just head sticking out (and front legs tucked out of the way).

then pill by holding your non-dominant hand over the top of the head, with kitties head tilted back a little, so you can press in on both sides of the mouth so s/he opens mouth. Put pill back as far as you can, then shut cat's mouth and stroke her throat until she swallows (cats are notorious for 'faking it' and spitting out pills that you could swear were down).

It helps if the person pilling has small hands and short fingernail.

Crushing in food will work for some cats/foods/pills. The food has to be strong enough to cover the taste of the pill (tuna-based foods work well), and/or the pill can't be too horrible tasting. Crush well, or kitty can eat around the pill pieces!

That being said, I'm so thankful that the only time Pete had to have pills, they weren't so horrible tasting, so the crushed-up pill in food worked. (I was brought to tears trying to pill a feisty, bitey, Houdini-like cat until I tried the crushed pill technique).

If there's ever a choice between giving a cat a pill and a sub-Q shot, I would take the shot anytime (having had a diabetic cat, and other cats who needed sub-Q fluids regularly, I'm great at the sub-Q stuff!...of course, Pete could prove me wrong on that one!)

?? I've never heard that. Any links to info?

Maybe the outer part is toxic, but the 'filet' inside is very beneficial topically, and is used in some internal products as well.

Sorry, I was thinking of Aloe latex, a laxative that irritates the intestine.

From the internet:

Some common reactions to and side effects from Aloe Vera:

The table below outlines some of the most common side effects of Aloe Vera and why they occur. Note that good quality aloe vera used correctly will make the side effects listed below highly unlikely to occur.

Allergic Reaction
•Some people are allergic to eggs, some to grass and some to aloe vera. Allergic reactions are usually seen visually as skin rashes but be careful not to confuse this with aloe vera actually working

Skin Rashes
•A genuine allergic reaction to aloe vera
•Often occurs when you first start drinking aloe vera as it detoxifies the body. As this occurs toxins can be pushed out through the skin and may persist for several days. If you are concerned consider drinking less aloe vera every day to slow down the natural process that is taking place internally.

Feeling Sick and Vomiting
•A genuine allergic reaction to aloe vera
•The aloe vera juice is off. Like milk or fruit juice aloe vera is a natural product and if left exposed to the air it will go off.
•The aloe vera juice is made from 'Whole Leaf'.
•The aloe vera juice is poor quality or with a large number of additives.
•Too much aloe vera juice was taken at one time.

Stomach Pains
•The aloe vera juice is off. Like milk or fruit juice aloe vera is a natural product and if left exposed to the air it will go off.
•The aloe vera is probably working but you may be drinking too much at one time.

Diarrhea
•The aloe vera is probably working but you may be drinking too much at one time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.