How to become leaner?

Rosarn

Dear Cathe,

Let me please start by thanking you for being such and inspiration. Now my question is what to do to become leaner over all , and leaner in the lower body. I tipically do one of your cardio videos (SJP,SB,KPC) 5days a week and I try to follow each cardio session with one of your weight lifting videos. Some people say to concentrate more on gaining more muscle to burn fat and others say to stick with more cario. If cardio is the way to go then do I do more high intensity or low to burn fat. I know eating clean plays a big part too, but how big? On getting a leaner lower body , again, should I do more step/cario or weights? Help? All the info out there is so confusing. I've lost 95lbs and feel better than ever. I'm ready to really streamline myself, if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appriciated.Thanks again.

Sincerely yours,
Rosa

Hi, Rosa! Obviously I'm not Cathe, but I thought I'd offer my Point-Oh-Two . . .

IMHO, if your system that you've described has produced such a significant weight loss, then I'd say stick with that until you plateau. Developing a healthfully lean body composition is always produced by a good sound mix of cardio and muscle conditioning, and it sounds to me like your system works very well for you. I'd like to suggest your paying attention #1 to how mentally engaged you are in your current program (i.e. do you look forward to your workouts? do they keep you physically AND mentally challenged throughout?), #2 do you feel vibrant outside of your workout activities, and #3 are you continuing to notice body composition changes? Your own judgment should be the thing you determine first and foremost.

I'd like to suggest / request that you post all of your current cardio and strength routines here on this thread, and I'd bet I and others - hopefully including Cathe - can give you some finer points of which workouts might help you go to the next level performance-wise, which always has great physical benefits.

HTH -

A-JOck

Well first let me congratulate you on your weight loss--you must feel great & you should be very proud of yourself.

As far as developing lean muscle mass goes (which always makes me laugh b/c what other kind of muscle is there? Is there such a thing as fat muscle mass? LOL!) you do have to do some weight training b/c larger muscles help your body burn fat more efficiently. I don't know if you're working out at a gym or at home, but my advice would to be focus on light to medium weights at high reps (12-15 rather than 8-10).

But I have to emphasize that you really should do weight training in order to obtain the lean look you're going for.

Congratulations on your weight lose, that is pretty impressive!! I bet you are really proud of yourself.

Your topic to post really caught my eye. I too have been looking at ways to become leaner. I've lost 35 pounds in the last 11 months and have incorporated cardio workouts with strength training. I still have about 10-15 pounds more to lose (all of which is in my mid-section). I'm curious to hear that 'official' ruling on this.

I must say, I really LOVE Cathe's workouts!!

Marlena

I've gone from about 25% bodyfat to my current 13-14% in about 21 months (but I've maintained 15% or less for a year). It's taken a combination of heavier weightlifing, lots of cardio, and a clean diet to achieve it. HTH.

Kathy G

Hello there,

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I guess I have been steadily seeing small changes in body, but very slowly, so I'll just keep on keepin' on. I just wasn't sure if you can do too much cario, I've heard somewhere that too much cardio can eat away at muscle mass, is that true? Also, what's better?, to do cario first or weight train first in one day? I'm at about 20% bodyfat and am striving to get to about 15% as my max bodyfat. I see from Kathy G that this takes alot of time and patience, 21 months, How'd you keep the faith through the plateaus. What's your workout schedule like? Also, Marlena, you've done a wonderful job, if you have a chance I'd love to hear what your routine is like? How many calories a day do you ladies consume? I try to stay at 1800, and try ro break that up into six 300 cal "meals", which I'm not always successful at......So many questions, so little time.....Thank you all so much again for your time and responses .

Rosa:D

Wow Rosa, congratulations! It sounds like you are doing everything right.

I know that last little bit of weight loss/lean up is so hard. I lost about 40 pounds and in November it will be one year I've kept it off, but haven't been able to get down as lean as I would like. I think I'm about 20% right now and I'd like to be around 16-18%. For me it's all in the food. Food is my worst habit that I just can't ever seem to get total control over. I guess it's just a very slow process that take diligent effort.

It does sound like you're doing all the right things though.

Rosa,
I started at 141 lbs. (I'm 5'5" tall) and about 25% bodyfat. It took me 3 months to get to 127 lbs. and 20% bodyfat. Then I took a two month maintenance break for my mind as well as my body:). After that it too me 8 more weeks to get to 114 lbs. and 15% bodyfat. So it actually took me 7 months to reach my bodyfat goal but I've been able to maintain it for the past 14 months. :)

I'm currently about 119-120 lbs. but I don't look as "skinny" as I did at 114 because I have more muscle mass. The last time I had my bodyfat tested was in December and I was 119.8 lbs and 14.3% bodyfat. Here's a link to my photos. (Sorry to all of you that have seen them numerous times before, LOL!) ;-)

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid940253&?

I have a very small frame and have to be very lean to look fit. When I'm an average weight, I look "fat". ;(

I've done all this using the Leanness Lifestyle site. I still use my Cathe DVDs for alot of my workouts but also include heavy gym lifting and running. HTH.

Kathy G

Yes--too much cardio becomes anaerobic & starts storing fat. Keep it to about 45 minutes per day, no more than 5 times a week.

Catabolsim 101

Hi, Rosa!

According to Tom Venuto:

"Yes, it's true. It's a scientifically proven fact that muscle proteins are broken down and used for energy during aerobic exercise. But don't worry, you are constantly breaking down and re building muscle tissue anyway. This process is called "protein turnover." Your body is constantly alternating back and forth between anabolic (building) and catabolic (breaking down) cycles. That's just a normal part of life. Your goal is simply to tip the scales slightly in favor of increasing the anabolic side and reducing the catabolic side just enough so you stay on the anabolic side and you gain or at least maintain muscle.

This fact of human physiology has often been taken out of context and used to scare people into not doing cardiovascular exercise for fear of losing muscle. When you fast overnight as you sleep, you lose muscle too, but that doesn't mean you should stop sleeping!

Sure, it's possible for you to lose muscle from doing too much cardio, but it's highly unlikely. Shying away from cardio completely because you think you'll lose muscle is a huge mistake. Only excessive amounts of cardio would cause you to lose muscle because over-training tips the scale towards the catabolic side. It's difficult to generalize and pinpoint one specific amount as too much, but I think it's safe to assume that just about anyone could do up to 45 -60 minutes of cardio a day, 6 to 7 days a week without losing any muscle - as long as the proper nutritional support is provided."

Getting enough protein, carbohydrate and indeed, calories, is also important and that's something I always have to bear in mind because my brain has a hard time wrapping around the fact that eating more is the way to lay down good muscle mass. I took a break after an injury and when I resumed my exercise program, I went heavy and stuck with it for 4 months which is unusual for me. I then kicked up cardio and ate to maintain muscle mass and, at 42, I am leaner and better muscled than I have ever been. Like the gorgeous Kathy (wow!), I am small framed and I am a hard gainer but boy, did that do the trick!

I do about 60 minutes of cardio 5 times per week and strength train each body part twice. I also do yoga 3-5 times per week which rounds the whole thing out and keeps me supple and calm. LOL!

Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

RE: Catabolsim 101

How in the world does more than 45 minutes of cardio make your body store fat unless you are not eating enough which is definitely not my problem?! I'm almost afraid to even ask this...as the information is so overwhelming and there are so many studies and conclusions and this is the right way...blah, blah, blah but this inquiring mind I'm afraid wants to know how this particular statement came about. Thanks.
Angela

It's one of those myths that crop up now and again. I have never found it to be true and I am a cardio junkie. When I was racing and training, I ran up to 50 miles a week, boosted my caloric intake and never lost muscle mass. I think the major caveat regarding too much cardio is injury. But if you are biomechanically sound and eat enough, you can do as much cardio as you like. Within reason. :)

- Mary Oliver

What?

>Yes--too much cardio becomes anaerobic & starts storing fat.
>Keep it to about 45 minutes per day, no more than 5 times a
>week.

How could moderate intensity cardio become anaerobic after 45 minutes? How could one start storing fat while in an anaerobic state? Do you have any sources for this statement?

Debra

RE: What?

It was a Muscle & Fitness article from about 2 years ago, I can't cite the exact source. I posted extensively on this subject on another thread--but it basically has to do w/the way women's bodies have evolved over centuries due to things like famines. A woman's body has evolved to maintain enough fat/energy for 9 months due to pregnancy. It's not rocket science.

So the basic thesis of the article was that while men can burn fat forever, women's bodies will stop after approximately 60 minutes (obviously this will differ for each individual). Anaerobic means that your muscles are no longer receiving oxygen so, while you can build muscle during the anaerobic phase, you really don't burn fat.

Thanks Bobbi...that makes sense. I have a friend who is a runner... I can't begin to tell you how many miles she runs a week but there isn't an ounce of fat on her little ol' body.:7

Wow, Kathy, your pics are great! Especially the post-intensity ones. Were you referring to the Intensity Series, and if so, was there any specific rotation you used?

Sorry, I think this is misinformation. If women could not burn fat for fuel after 45 minutes of exercise then there wouldn't be any female endurance athletes. Actually there is evidence that women are superior at burning fat during endurance exercise but unfortunately most academic level research focuses on male athletes.

Consider that Pam Reed blew away the mostly male field in the Death Valley Badwater 135 endurance run in 2002 & 2003. She placed 4th this year. The 3rd place finisher in 2002, 2003, & 2004 is female.

Did you catch this year's L.A. marathon?? A woman crossed the finish line first, the elite females did get a bit of a headstart over the elite males; it will be shortened next year.

I can't imagine how I managed to ride the coast of California on my bike, climb Mt. Whitney in under 12 hours, ride numerous centuries, or run 1/2 marathons. If your information is correct, I have a super human level of muscle glycogen because I can't access my fat stores for fuel after 45 minutes. Hmm, so I don't have much muscle fiber just a lot of glycogen...

I don't think we're going to have a meeting of the minds so I'll bow out of this discussion. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm not sure how that disqualifies me from knowing a thing or two about fitness & training.

Debra

Ummm, hate to disagree, but I don't see how you can go anaerobic unless your heart rate is 80% or more of your max. The numbers for the various exercise zones have been established by medical testing over the years.
If you plod along for 60 mins. or more at some moderate level you aren't anaerobic. It's just not intense enough to cause the switchover from aerobic to anaerobic. Your heart/lungs are able to keep up with the demand for oxygen laden blood at the moderate levels.
To me, the mere fact that most distance runners are stick people tells me they are burning fat and probably alot more than that. And I believe they train alot longer than 60 mins.
Also, the type of moves you do during cardio has an effect as well. I do sprint/interval type work mostly and mix a little of the longer duration slower stuff to round it out. Ever see a sprinter's body? Those people are very muscular and really have the ideal in body composition in my opinion. You really need to lift and do cardio in ways that maximize the involvement of the various types of muscle fibers in the body. Otherwise, you are leaving out virtually 50% of the equation and probably not reaching your potential. This means combinations of explosive short cardio with longer less intense cardio. And of course high weight/low rep and low weight/high rep lifting accentuating the negative portion of your lifts.
Lastly, I disagree with Venuto. In my case, if I did all of that cardio I would be a stick. You should read Jacob Wilson. I believe in intense quality cardio instead of wasted time with endless plodding type cardio. The fact is that most regular people cannot handle the really intense stuff and I don't think most people wanna really hear what it takes to be in outstanding shape. Just my opinion. Also, you need to be wary of anyone claiming 3 percent bodyfat like Venuto does. It's virtually impossible to be that low simply because of the fat that cushions your internal organs.
Sorry for the wordiness.......
T.
:)

Hi, Trevor, how the heck are you? I don't know much about Tom Venuto other than he's in the fitness biz and he has a gorgeous bod but I thought his article summed up my point. Prior to my foot injury, I rarely went out for less than 6, 8, 10 miles unless I absolutely had to :) and while my intensity was most often moderate, it was sometimes intense. I never acheived a catabolic state because I kept my energy intake where it needed to be. Distance runners may be thin but many are very well-muscled. Some do fail to strength train enough or at all. And Lance Armstong didn't look like Jack the Pumkin King in France, ya know? Can you imagine his caloric expenditure! For those who wish, long bouts of cardio, and I'd say up to ninety minutes, is fine and muscle won't be lost if proper nutrition is followed.

- Mary Oliver

Lance is my favorite athlete and arguably the greatest ever. He's a thin guy though. Those bikers are all little guys. Usually 5'10'" or under and about 130-150 lbs. That's little! They have to be in order to haul themselves up those huge mountain passes. They do have well muscled legs which are deceptively larger looking because they are usually attached to a skinny upper body. However, it's my belief that Tour bikers are different from long distance runners. Biking is a power sport whereas I don't consider distance running a power sport requiring explosive moves. Tour bikers are different because they require explosive power as well as distance capability. They ride stages such as the time trials where it's just an all-out explosive sprint for an hour. And they also ride the 120 mile stages where a slower pace is involved. Each type of ride involes different types of muscle fibers in the body and I think that's why biker legs tend to look so good.
Distance runners may have very lean muscle but in general that look is what most bodyshapers are not striving to get because it looks overly thin or skinny. Most are too lean in my opinion. To me the ideal body is that of a sprinter or track biker. Those athletes seem to have the right combination of a well-muscled body as well as a body that can handle various intensities/distances of cardio output.
And that's nothing against running. It's certainly not at the top of my list of my favorite ways to work out but people do love to run and that's cool. It's all about what you want really.
I use running as an interval approach but find longer distances pretty useless for muscle building which is why I use more explosive types of cardio such as stairmaster for that. I combine that with the weight programs I have discussed before.
Lastly, I agree Venuto has a good body. I just question it whenever I hear some athlete saying they have 3% or lower body fat. I have read that that is in most cases, pure BS.
T.

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.