How Should I Strengthen My Weak Bicep?

JumpHigher

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I've been making consistent strength gains over the past several months. I'm currently using Pyramid Upper Body on Monday, Butts & Guts on Tuesday, a total body workout on Friday, and 3 days of cardio throughout the week. I've noticed recently that my left bicep just isn't keeping up with my right bicep.

I really noticed it yesterday because my left arm was fatiguing while my right arm wasn't tired at all -- I definitely could've gone heavier for my right arm.

My question is, what is the safest and most effective way to equalize my biceps, with the goal of having my weaker left bicep catch up to my right one.

Sometimes when I do bicep work my left deltoid gets tired and fatigues quickly, which affects my bicep work, and I'm wondering if that's the root of the problem. The deltoid issue seems to be improving as I get stronger, but it does still exist a bit.

Do you have any ideas for me?

Thanks, Cathe :)

Marla

Thank you, TK.

I do have one more question, regarding the method: Along with the other ideas listed, I'm wondering if I could add one more day of work for my left bicep only.

So ... if I'm doing upper body on Monday and total body Friday (which of course would include upper body), could I add a little bicep work on Wednesday, just for the left bicep?

It may be that I will always have a weaker left bicep, but I'd sure like to try to match it up to my right bicep. And, again, I'm wondering if my left deltoid is contributing to the problem. I think I injured it slightly a while back, but it's getting stronger all the time.

Thanks,
Marla

In addition to Cathe's advice that was linked to:
Do the majority, if not all, of your bicep exercises with dumbbells, so the stronger arms can't take over for the weaker. This alone can help quite a bit.

Start your bicep exercises with the weaker arm, and use the other arm to help get in some extra negative reps at the end of the set (help the arm curl--using as little help as possible--then lower using just the weaker arm).

Start your bicep exercises with the weaker arm. And at the end of the biceps section, add on another set for the weaker arm.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.