How much do you TIP your Hairdresser?

swimnfit

Cathlete
I'm curious what would be considered a good tip to give your hairdresser? I'm never sure what amount would be appropriate. I don't want to be cheap, but I'm not rich either.

Is there an easy was to figure it like there is with a restaurant bill?

And of course I'm talking about service that you are happy with!

Thanks!!

:D Nicole

Yep, I go by the restaurant tip. 15% if it's OK, 20% if it's great. My haircuts are $60, my tips are $12.

Don't forget the poor shampoo girl--she usually gets $2. But check first & make sure she doesn't get a cut from the stylist at the end of the day.

I usually only pay about $12.00 to $15.00 for a cut these days but I still will usually give the girl $5.00 cause the haircut is sooo cheap!:)

ETA: I don't get my hair washed at the salon...I go there with it washed and wet because I get vertigo from sitting back in that chair like that.:(

When I used to spend more on my cuts, I would definately figure it like a restaraunt bill!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

yeah I figure it like a restaurant bill too... I usually figure 20% then throw in a couple extra bucks to be about 10-12 bucks cuz I have very long, thick hair and the poor guys gotta dry it forever :+
wow and here i thought 45 bucks was alot for my haircut but $60???????? eeek!

I get my hair dyed and trimmed every 9 weeks. She does what I ask, doesn't make it too light or too short. It costs $85.00 so I tip her $20.00

This is going to sound awful but I HATE tipping. Just give me the price and I'll pay it. If they want more they should up the price, I will gladly pay what ever is asked. But for some reason I find tipping sort of condescending. I feel like I'm saying *here... you poor thing... you don't make enough money so here's a little something extra". Like go buy yourself a piece of candy or something. I hardly even admit that because I know it sounds awful. Maybe it's because I have never worked in a field where tips were expected. My attitude would probably be different if I had.

I've been with my hairdresser almost 10 years now and I refuse to go to anyone else :). She always does an excellent job. I highlight and cut every six weeks for $100 and I tip 20%.

Colleen

Thanks everyone for your replies! Seems most of you tip 20%. That's fine with me. My hairdresser does everything herself (no separate shampoo person) and always dries and styles my very thick hair. She is an excellent colorist and always does what I want.

If I just get a haircut it's usually $35 and I was tipping $5-$7. I could never remember how much I tipped before so I would just wing it! I think now I'll just do a straight 20% and make my life easier and quite worrying about it.

Thanks again!!

:D Nicole

I must be a bit cheap, but then the lady who does my hair is the owner of the salon and I have always heard that you don't tip the owner. I do tip, but it is 10 bucks every time. If I just get my color it costs fifty bucks, plus tip. If I get a cut and color it costs eighty five bucks plus a tip. My cuts are minimal trims and not any style involved so it is nothing major time wise.

I will say that she gives the most amazing scalp massage while shampooing/conditioning that it could make me fall asleep. That alone is worth a hundred bucks...well almost, but it is another reason I love her!

As a rule you tip the hairdresse 20% or even up to 25% according to Allure magazine. I have always followed the 20% rule unless it was extra special.

Marla

I normally tip 20% and I tip the shampoo girl a $5. However ever since I became a dog groomer and have been at the receiving end of the tipping system, I am actually tipping 25% now. Its just that I have been stunned by the generosity of clients. I value a praise for the groom I have done rather than a tip because I am a beginner and have a lot of insecurity when it comes to my work but people generally tip me well and I have been saving it all up. It adds quite a bit to my earnings.

However if people at a salon are horrid or snobby, I have been tempted to tip just 15%. I think tipping is subjective and I think you should take an approach that you feel comfortable with. I have never taken it personally when a customer does not tip me for a groom and I certainly don't expect it. Each person feels comfortable with different things.

This begets the question - are you supposed to tip the hairdresser if she owns the shop?

Does anyone know???

Thanks,
Marie

God I hope not! I have the salon owner do my hair and have never tipped her. I'm w/ Ducky on tipping: hate it. My hair is $85 every 6wks. (cut and color, extra when I get foils a few times/yr). That seems like plenty to me.
I did tip 20% b4 I went to the owner, but I really hated it.
Valerie

I tip 20%. My hairdresser is an artist...very, very talented with scissors. My hair looks great growing out....the sure sign of a someone who knows how to cut hair.

I've had to use other stylists for various reasons, was not as satisfied and tipped on 15%.

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

I think I can help answer this one - as my DH is my hairdresser and owns his own shop. The rule is - it's always ok to tip your hairdresser - even if they are the owner - and always appreciated!

Emily

I'm fortunate....as a manicurist I trade services with my hairdresser...:7 :+ :) But...being in this field for 15 years. I have not felt bad when people don't tip me as it is their choice. One thing to think about though for the people that hate tipping is the hairdresser knows you like the sevice when you tip...:) ...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.