How many Paceweights should we get ? lbs?

I'm interested in this, also. I can't seem to find Platemates at any of the places Platemates.com tells me I should be able to find them locally. I really need to see what they look like and, of course, I want to buy them here because they ARE weights so shipping costs would be... stupid.

I bought a 4.5 pounds set of Paceweights. They are nine 1/2 pound bars. It is enough to incrementally raise any pair of dumbbells to the next size of dumbbells. Does that make sense? I bought them plainly packaged in a heavy cardboard box for about $50 including shipping.

I have one pair of 1.25 pound Platemates and one pair of 2.5 Platemates.

Between the Platemates and the Paceweights, I think I have enough incremental weights to adjust any pair of dumbbells my barbell to whatever weight I will need for STS or any lifting program.

One thing about the Paceweights - they are extremely strong magnets. Be careful not to get your fingers pinched in between the weight and your dumbbell or barbell plate. It will hurt like you-know-what!:eek:

HTH.

Susan L.G.

I also have a question about the pacemates. I noticed on their website they come in boxes of 9. When I checked on shipping costs it is the same cost for shipping if you order two boxes. Do you think I would use 18 or would that be too many.

Vicky

I got 2 boxes of 9 Paceweights. That would be enough to bring a pair of 20-pounds up to 24.5 pounds (or 25 pounds up to 29.5 pounds, etc). I really like them!

:)

RE: Paceweights link...

A set of 18 pace weights will bring a pair of dumbells up 4.5#, just .5 pound away from the next dumbell increment. That is what I would recommend.

(I have Platemates, but I bought the set of 18 Paceweights in the case--the magnets are very strong, and the case protects other objects from them, as well as protecting the Paceweights from impact that would weaken the magnetic force).

Are paceweights strong enough to attach to neoprene covered dumbbells? Also, can they be used with platemates?

Thanks,
April

I have rubber coated dumbbells and the barbell weight set from Walmart that is also rubber coated. These wont work on the rubber dumbbells. Is the only other alternative for me weighted gloves?

Carmen

Hey Carmen,

I've also used adjustable ankle weigts wrapped around my wrists to add incremental amounts of weigths. They're not the most comfortable set-up but it works. For your barbell, you can purchase plates in smaller weigths to use to slowly add small increments of weights - platemates also sells them (I think they call them donuts). But you can probably pick them up wherever weight plates are sold. HTH, Deb

could someone tell me what in the world ya'll are talking about?????:-( i am so confused!!!!:p
cathy

Cathy: Pace Weights are small magnetic weights you can add to your
barbells and dumbells in small increments.
They are an easy way to add on extra weight.
Check them out on:
paceweights.com
Also Platemates
theplatemate.com
I think I prefer Platemates.
(Thank you for the links DebbieH)
Cathy hope this helps.;-)
Rocky

Platemates and Paceweights are two types of incremental weights that you can put on dumbbells and barbells to increase resistance a little bit at a time. They attach to the weights you already own with very strong magnets.

For example, when trying to progress from 5 lbs to 8 pounds in shoulder rear flyes, the increase from 5 to 8 is most likely too much. But it's very difficult to find 6 pound and 7 pound dumbbells. I mean, they do exist but instead you can use paceweights or platemates to go from 5 pounds to 5.5 pounds to 6.o pounds, etc., until you are strong enough for 8 pounds.

Each Paceweight is a .5 pound little bar. The Platemates come in different sizes/weights/shapes and are best bought in pairs (not sure but I think they may be sold that way(?)).

Here are two links to the products themselves. (psst...have your CC handy - heehee! )

http://www.theplatemate.com/

http://www.paceweights.com/

HTH.

Susan L.G.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.