How is this athletic but not bulky look achieved?

Body type --- Somatotype body type is the base to work from. You are right! Of course there is tons of cardio as she stated during
the clip. I like her body language when she got questioned about sugar consumption. I reserve the right to not believe she
threat herself with all those pizza now that she is growing up!

It is definitely a myth!!! God knows how many articles have been around aiming to encourage ladies to lift heavier. Now that
this study sheds some light on strength training, It will be interesting to see if the 5x5 Nia trend will decline!!!
I doubt it, for the sake of fighting emotional obsession about expanding to hulk incredible size!!:eek::eek::eek:The truth is pure strength
on 5x5 format put more stress on joints --- which is not good news for our health!!! More risks of injuries.

Now before I get off my soapbox, I will add an interestingQ&A from reputable source.
Source --- Fitness Rx June 2016

Q&A from a Fitness expert – Gunnar Peterson

"Q: What do you think about weighted oblique work? I have heard some say that it can add Bulk.

A: Let’s address the “adding bulk” part. That’s actually humorous and I’m not talking about your upper arm. “Adding bulk” is a lifestyle, not an exercise. It would take well-timed calories above and beyond what you are burning as well as adequate rest and recovery and a number of other factors to add bulk in one area with one exercise. Whew, glad I cleared that up.

Regarding the weighted oblique work, I think you are fine if you keep your rep range high- 15 to 25. The muscles need to work, and throwing in a purposeful frontal plane move adds some variety- and I’m all for that. You won’t build blocky refrigerator body unless you keep opening that blocky refrigerator door".

But wasn't Gunnar the guy who turned the Will & Grace star blocky[emoji780] lol just kidding don't kill me.

She went to him after her pregnancy and he convinced her to eat.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Cafelatte and nckfitheart2009! I might just look into this type of training, although my knees can be wonky at times (I'm mid-forties too). :)

But wasn't Gunnar the guy who turned the Will & Grace star blocky
emoji780.png
lol just kidding don't kill me.

A killer workout is what I like to take on 4 a killer feminine dress;);):):p
Otherwise, I am not that Mad! Joking!

Last edited:
I will, nckfitheart2009! I was planning on starting STS meso 1 but after some advice from other posters (you, maybe?) all said to wait until you could devote a month to the program and I can't do that until August. I'm getting STS Total Body (a substitute suggestion) and Push-Pull/Supersets today so I'll have to wait before I try 5X5 (need to do some more research before I dive in). But thank you for the information! :)

OK do I have this right: in 5X5 you only do five exercises (deadlift, overhead press, squat, barbell row and bench press) and increase the weight each time you do them (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) with 5 sets of 5 reps. It seems to be a little lacking as far as the upper body goes? By that I mean biceps, triceps, etc.? The shoulders and chest get a bit of work but not a lot of different muscles appear to be used. My arms are my trouble spots so I'm not sure this would be very effective? It would definitely give you shapely legs, though! :)

OK do I have this right: in 5X5 you only do five exercises (deadlift, overhead press, squat, barbell row and bench press) and increase the weight each time you do them (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) with 5 sets of 5 reps. It seems to be a little lacking as far as the upper body goes? By that I mean biceps, triceps, etc.? The shoulders and chest get a bit of work but not a lot of different muscles appear to be used. My arms are my trouble spots so I'm not sure this would be very effective? It would definitely give you shapely legs, though! :)

Hi Kathy,

I recall your question about starting STS in between trips. I suggest you fully do more research about 5X5 workout before embarking.
Completing STS is already a great challenge and should help you. If you get fully prepared doing your one rep max and consistently
do all your disc you will gain result with a clean nutrition.

Once you have completed STS take a week or 2 off strength training and try 4 to 6 weeks of 5x5.
As to highlighted above, I understand you are a bit worried because of lack of isolation work -- Biceps and Triceps.
This is a great point made. While doing exercises such as overhead press, bench press and barbell row you do get to work
Biceps and triceps to some degree. If you gain good result through STS, you will be able to maintain trying out 5x5 for 4 to 6
weeks. That is my suggestion.ATB

Hi Everyone,

While we are on this topic "Bulking, Regardless of what it means to each one of us!", Here below is an interesting article.

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

Here are my cents....

• From 1900, I think people opinions have not changed much, A part from not having to hide to lift Lol :eek::eek::D and the survey further down the article support my thoughts!
  • only 21% of people taking part of the survey , workout 5 or more during the week... Hmmm, No wonder the majority think muscle is unattractive on women.
  • Would you rather appear to be…

Too Thin-71%
    Too Muscular-11%
    Too Fat-18%
Appaling result IMO:eek::eek::(

• if you thought that lifting heavy weights wouldn’t make you bulky/muscular, would you lift them?

Yes-34%
    No-66%
Reading sentence above, bulky = muscularity! My answer would be yes I still, would.
This made me think of the reason I wanted to lift on more regular basis. Funny, worrying about gaining too
much mass, muscularity, strength did not even cross my mind! I just did it!! I just knew I had to and I love it!:)

Last edited:
Image1466168769.576248.jpg

I was actually interested in how they reached this look. She has muscularity and abs and looks lean.
If I knew weights would not make me bulky will I lift them?
Well that depends...are they in the way?
Kidding aside, yes I would. I just finished a kettle bell workout.
Does Bulk = muscularity? Idk. For me bulk=thick.
Her muscles don't look thick and that's what I was interested in.
I'm thinking is it Power Hour, muscle endurance, Super set kind of lifting?

As far as people and opinions go, my sister still makes fun of my calves being too big.

And I have heard guys making snide remarks about Oxygen magazine cover models.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those. Just saying that I agree with you with Opinions not changing all that much.

Last edited:
I was actually interested in how they reached this look. She has muscularity and abs and looks lean.

As it has been mentioned already, you can pursue building her physique = Building a britney spears look.
The main factor to work from is your own body, body type and frame. Your own genes also come into play.
Now You have mentioned not being built for sprint. You have also mentioned the twiggy look.

In my humble opinion, it will require building muscularity to gain the look you are pursuing. That said there is not
any specific training which work for everyone. You will need to try and change Various cross training frequently every 4 to 6 weeks.
From a "twiggy look" to athletic muscular it takes a lot of BUILDING work/training, an adequate nutrition, and
genes to achieve the look you are pursuing.

If you have been trying many training and you have not managed to gain any muscularity then it is time to
change your training and possibly hire a competent personal trainer, One who know what he/she is going!!
ATB

View attachment 4847

If I knew weights would not make me bulky will I lift them?
Well that depends...are they in the way?
Kidding aside, yes I would. I just finished a kettle bell workout.
Does Bulk = muscularity? Idk. For me bulk=thick.
Her muscles don't look thick and that's what I was interested in.
I'm thinking is it Power Hour, muscle endurance, Super set kind of lifting?

As far as people and opinions go, my sister still makes fun of my calves being too big.

And I have heard guys making snide remarks about Oxygen magazine cover models.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those. Just saying that I agree with you with Opinions not changing all that much.

The physique you get will depend on your body type. I'm naturally skinny boney arms/legs with a bubble butt. I squat 130lb/chest press 80. I do not have bulk at all. I have more body fat than Britney but have her basic muscularity. I'm also a decade older and have never been a super star LOL

So for me I can lift heavy and have her look if I keep my body fat down.

If you are a natural skinny women then you would need to lift heavy in the hypertrophy weight range. If you are a bigger women with natural muscle then you would probably want to stay away from hypertrophy heavy weights. THe endurance weight ranges of 12-20 would keep you tone without adding muscle size.

Last edited:
Once you have completed STS take a week or 2 off strength training and try 4 to 6 weeks of 5x5.
As to highlighted above, I understand you are a bit worried because of lack of isolation work -- Biceps and Triceps.
This is a great point made. While doing exercises such as overhead press, bench press and barbell row you do get to work
Biceps and triceps to some degree. If you gain good result through STS, you will be able to maintain trying out 5x5 for 4 to 6

The key to success pursuing body transformation --- Leg results is to change training every 4-6 weeks.
You need to periodize your training. Here below an article about changing compound training.

http://cathe.com/2-types-periodization-differ

http://cathe.com/linear-versus-non-linear-periodization-which-is-more-effective

http://cathe.com/nutrient-periodization

I suppose to get that body...it wouldn't hurt if you had oodles of money to have a personal trainer and personal chef to keep you on point as well....just sayin'... Not that it can't be done by us normal folk...but all the extra resources couldn't hurt either

These are the basic lifts for the body. The trcieps and biceps do not necessarily require isolation exercises because the point is to choose lifts that work multiple muscle groups and joints each time. Therefore, the tris and bis assist with each lift and do get worked. Enough? If you are lifting heavy, 5 sets of 5 reps will about do you in! Find a website that illustrates the muscles that get worked with each of these lifts and you will be pleasantly surprised. Powerlifters are strong: they don't do kick backs! What is the point, after all, of building muscles that are strong in isolation only? You want the muscle groups to work together efficiently. This is the best way to build strength: functional strength. It will support your joints for a long time.

Clare

Just to add to post above, You can add some isolation for Biceps, triceps and calves depending on your current goal.

Just as article below stated, change the 5x5 program to give yourself a realistic chance to achieve the goal
you want to achieve. It is your goal not anyone else! That said a light triceps kickback helps in gaining a
diamond cut shape. It is not a developmental exercise --- meaning it is not an exercise which aim in growing muscle
it is a shaper. Hypertrophy training do help gain strength too!!!

Now on a side note, there is no harm working triceps on a 8-10 reps range!

http://nattyornot.com/adding-arm-isolation-to-5x5-routines/

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.