How DO you age gracefully?

LauraMax, please don't feel bad about the "up there" comment. A friend of mine described to me his new girlfriend a few years ago as being "up there" and she was 28!! I was only 28 at that time and didn't take it very well.

Some people can be so rude, even a sister! My sister who is 6 years older than me always gets a kick out of having people tell her that she looks younger than me. She is 100+ lbs overweight and has oilier skin. I'm normal to 10+ lbs and very dry skin. Obviously the oiler skin helps her look younger but I swear the fact she is heavier attributes to her looking younger. I would never be so rude as to say that to her so instead I just grin and bear it. As Mom would say, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" Obviously she never learned that because she is always putting me down somehow. Thanks for letting me hijack and vent!

lauramax

I'm late in to this thread, so I will give no skin care advice BUT, there is nothing (and I mean nothing!) more attractive than a well looked after, and elegant, "older" woman. I am 43 years old and feel EXACTLY like you! Remember your quit smoking thread I, too gave up cause it ages the skin. You are NOT "Up there" I don't feel 43 and I certainly didn't feel 40 either. You are as Young as you feel. its really up to you, keep looking after your skin, exercising, eat well. Its also up to you to change your mind set. 40 is the new 30, totally CORRECT. Get that into your head! And you will feel much better (I had to)

Andrea
p.s the day I turned 40, no party, no celebrating in any way, I was in bed under the doona. I'm over that now, I don't feel "Old" So how can I be old? Can't help the skin wrinkling that does depress me. But I apply skin care daily and do what I can.

Aw schucks Laura, that was a sweet thing to say.:) But seriously, that Obagi is so worth it, I believe in treating the skin with strong stuff like the Obagi, maybe a few years back I wouldn't have, but I swear, I get compliments all the time on my skin, and I really do not have any wrinkles...let us NOT discuss the loose skin however that seems to be creeping up on all bodyparts!:eek: Good grief.

Oh! I know what will make you feel better, go pick up a copy of National Enquirer this weeks, it features the dreaded "Stars with Cellulite".}(

Also, get rid of that "cougar" word too, I hate and detest that pathetic word and its connotations.

Cynthia -- I do swear by the Oil of Olay products -- I've been using them since I was a teenager (I'm now 43). My grandmother used Oil of Olay and her skin was beautiful (I remember playing around with her moisturizer when I was about 5 or 6). She died at 89 and I still thought her skin was beautiful at the time she died (for her age). I'm often told that I look much younger than I do. I think their products are great and will always use them (there are so many to choose from today as opposed to 20 years ago). I also think that your nutrition is very important (eat as healthy as possible). Also drink lots of water (keep your skin hydrated) and don't go out into the sun. When I was a kid/teenager, I did spend a lot of time in the sun and I paid dearly for that because I have a few sun spots -- melasma is what the dr calls it and is caused by sun damage -- but I have been able to fade them out with cream he prescribed. After I got out of high school, I stayed out of the sun as much as possible and am very glad I did. The sun really takes a toll on your skin.

Of course, as was mentioned before, aging is inevitable but we can do things that will help it be a little better!!! Also remember, don't be so focused on your physical appearance (although that is important), but focus on what's inside! That, to me, is what really counts!

Julie

Laura,

The Guy is a JERK!
You look young enough to be my daughter.

Smile lines is a good thing to have, it tell people you're a happy person....

Laura,

I just sent you an email. I had your email because you and I talked about Atkins a while back.

Anyway, the guy that said that to you is a MORON. I've seen your pictures and you are way hot.

Now, as I said to you in my email, I cannot say it strongly enough that you need to consider Arbonne skin care. It completely changed my skin - as someone that has gone tanning like every day of my life (gasp!) I had crows feet, discoloration from being on the Pill and more. I started using the anti-aging line and it CHANGED MY FACE. It has changed the skin on my body too.

I just turned 39 and look and feel better NOW than I did in my twenties. People all time time think I am 5-10 years younger or sometimes even more. I hardly wear any foundation on a daily basis because I actually LIKE MY SKIN. And I will tell you that I have a 22 year old hottie man that chased me for like 4 months before I would go out with him. And yes I refer to him as Ashton LOL.

Clearly I am biased, as after these products changed my skin I am now 'doing the business' but I do so because I love helping others change their skin and their health and wellness so dramatically. It is truly rewarding.

Gotta tell you girl, first off - you are awesome already but if you really want to look amazing, take my word for it, try this stuff. There's a 45-day money back guarantee (that no one ever uses!! LOL) so you can't lose.
Email me at [email protected] for questions!

Cheers!

>I recently turned 40 & the last few years have really taken
>their toll on my skin. I'm trying to take it in stride, but
>sometimes something happens that really brings me down. Last
>night at the gym some guy I'd never met came right up to me &
>asked me how old I was. Setting aside how inappropriate the
>question was to a stranger, when I told him his response was
>"yeah, I thought you were up there." WTF? UP THERE?!?!?!?!
>What does "up there" mean anyway? And why do I LOOK like I'm
>up there? (I won't even give you the details of the time some
>guy guessed my age at 52)
>
>Of course it kept me awake last night. There are some things
>(physical condition, hair, etc.) that I can control, but I
>can't do much about my skin. I get botox for the frown lines
>betw. my eyes but I'm resisting getting it where I have smile
>lines (eyes & mouth). Someday I'll probably get laser
>treatment. Mostly I feel like it's OK to look my age, as long
>as I don't look pi$$ed off all the time. :+
>
>I need some sage advice so I can accept the aging process &
>not feel like life as I know it is over.
:7

Hey Lauramax!

I know exactly what you mean. I turned 40 in November last year and I swear the wrinkles are just popping out almost as fast as my adult onset acne! Which for any dermatologists out there, telling your patients that their acne is adult onset acne doesn't make them feel better! Now that I got that off my chest... yes, I have tried some chemical peels and microdermabrasion, even botox, basically--a wrinkle maintenance regime, and now I am starting to give up. It's uber expensive and for what? The whole dating thing is super depressing when you realize that it's slim pickins out there.

Recently, this is sort of sad, maybe you saw it too, but there was the sweetest woman who helped save approx. 2,000 Jewish children during the Holocaust. She had wrinkles, but she had the most beautiful smile and her eyes were just twinkles--obviously this was before she recently died, but the point I am trying to make is that there is beauty in looking one's age. I should point out that this usually lasts until I see more wrinkles, and realize that my collagen must be disintegrating before my very eyes! But I think you, we, just all have to breathe a collective sigh of what the heck!

Hope this helps!
Keli

Hi LauraMax,

How do you age gracefully is a question I have been asking myself for the last several years. Unfortunately I haven't worked through "accepting the changes"- I admire those who have!

My face started changing at age 43 and now at age 47 I can't stand the way I look!

My chin and neck are really sagging and there is no cream in the world that is going to fix that - believe me I have tried them all!
I also tried some kind of laser treatment that was supposed to stimulate collagen but it didn't do anything - wasted $1,000!

I really hate to see myself in a mirror, and I know it will only get worse. Wish I didn't feel that way!

Laura,

I have no idea how I missed your photo album.....

OMG, You are GORGEOUS woman!!!

Carolyn Jane,

I'm with you on the neck issue. I've noticed the same as I'm ready to turn 46. I met my husband when I was 18. I told him I would one day get a face lift so there are no surprises when I pay for one! I know that is extremely vain. I just want to look on the outside, how I feel on the inside

:7

Keli, I didn't see her, but I have seen some older women who are incredibly beautiful and whose wrinkles make them even more beautiful. I'm afraid I'm just not one of them.

Awww Carolyn Jane, you are so sweet, thanks! I don't think cosmetic surgery is EXTREMELY vain. I think it's vain, but not to a fault. What's wrong w/taking advantage of modern medicine to stay youthful? As long as you don't get carried away, like Ms. Rivers. Some vanity isn't a bad thing. It's probably the reason most of us got involved in fitness. :)

I fully intend to take advantage of today's modern science in regards to face-lifts--when that time comes of course. It sorta freaks me out, but than again, I would pay big time to go to the surgeon who just gave Reba McEntire her face lift...its incredible. She simply looks like she did about 10 years ago. Perfect. Sharon Stone is another good example of nice work...although of course she denies it.

What I am hatin' right now? It seems underneath my eyes are starting to "hollow out" if you know what I mean. And I am more prone to bags under my eyes.x( Everything else is great, its all about the eyes with me, no crows feet, no lines really, just that hollowing out effect.

My eye lids sag a bit but I recently started getting eyelash extensions and that has opened my eyes up. My eye lids do not look so droopy. It took me a few weeks to get use to the eyelashes, but I love them now. I just got home from a fill. I feel so pretty with them and they really make my eyes stand out. I love that I can wake up and go without putting on mascara!

I hate my nasal folds are getting deeper. I've tried restylane injections and wasn't thrilled with the results. It doesn't last long in the nasal folds. I hated the lumpy feeling it left in my lips too.

Choosing the right surgeon for face work is going to be tough decision. I've had some surgery and I traveled (within the US) to the surgeon I used. I'm not sure if I will use him or look for someone who does face work only.

My SIL told me that latest rage is flying to Costa Rica for face work. Spending a week in a spa while you recover. She has a few friends who have done it. I not so sure I would want to have surgery in a foreign country.

Girl, I'm not an expert on this, and I do intend to pursue certain facial enhancements in the future BUT do not go to a foreign country for work! OMG I have seen too many Dateline features on this - look at Priscilla Presley - and also who is that rap guy Kanye, his mom died, was that out of country plastic surgery too? Please be careful, that sounds so dangerous!
I hope I don't sound kooky! But I would hate for anything bad to happen!

> My eye lids sag a bit but I recently started getting eyelash
>extensions and that has opened my eyes up. My eye lids do not
>look so droopy. It took me a few weeks to get use to the
>eyelashes, but I love them now. I just got home from a fill. I
>feel so pretty with them and they really make my eyes stand
>out. I love that I can wake up and go without putting on
>mascara!
>
>I hate my nasal folds are getting deeper. I've tried restylane
>injections and wasn't thrilled with the results. It doesn't
>last long in the nasal folds. I hated the lumpy feeling it
>left in my lips too.
>
>Choosing the right surgeon for face work is going to be tough
>decision. I've had some surgery and I traveled (within the US)
>to the surgeon I used. I'm not sure if I will use him or look
>for someone who does face work only.
>
>My SIL told me that latest rage is flying to Costa Rica for
>face work. Spending a week in a spa while you recover. She has
>a few friends who have done it. I not so sure I would want to
>have surgery in a foreign country.
>
>

Kelly Olexa
www.olexa.myarbonne.com

I know. I fear the foreign hospitals. OMG, Priscilla Presley is a perfect example of what NOT to do. Way too many lifts. At some point, you have to stop.
Kayne's mother was in the US. Unfortunately, she suffered a complication that can happen from any surgery. All surgery carries risk and as we get older the risk are higher. She has too many pre-existing problems to be going for an elective surgery. JMO of course.

Poor woman, Priscilla, she looks like she has balloons under her skin. And Kanye; that shows you how much ETV I watch LOL, not enough!

>I know. I fear the foreign hospitals. OMG, Priscilla Presley
>is a perfect example of what NOT to do. Way too many lifts. At
>some point, you have to stop.
>Kayne's mother was in the US. Unfortunately, she suffered a
>complication that can happen from any surgery. All surgery
>carries risk and as we get older the risk are higher. She has
>too many pre-existing problems to be going for an elective
>surgery. JMO of course.

Kelly Olexa
www.olexa.myarbonne.com

Yeah, I'm with you on the restylane, I tried it as well & I felt like it looked uber-fake. My sister, who I see a couple times a year, came for a visit & the first thing she said when she walked in the door was, "what happened to your face?" So I'm sticking w/judicious botox until I'm ready for the laser. ;-)

When it comes to choosing a doc, referrals are the best way. I'm fortunate in that I have an aunt who used a doc in my area who's done amazing stuff for her. She's 74 & if I didn't know her I'd guess her age in her late 50s. And he's the kind of guy who tells you "you shouldn't want to change how you look, you should want to take what you have & make it better."

I wouldn't fly to Costa Rica to get work done on my face if they offered to do it for free! :eek:

Laura,

Aging is $%$^&. I have no idea how it is done gracefully.

I did go visit your album.
a. That man in the gym is either nuts or visually impaired
b. You have a long time yet before you need to start worrying.

I have never been in as great shape in my life. I hope you sleep tight tonight with a smile on that lovely face.

~* Vrinda *~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.