How do I learn Step routines??????????

galina885

This maybe a really dumb question, but I have a few of Cathe's Step workouts, but I can't keep up. Is there an easy way to learn Step? I feel foolish for asking, but I would really like to master them.

I'm no expert on step but I try and tackle one section at a time, I try it out first and then if I'm finding the moves tricky, I watch the section and then try it again. I usually get the moves after a few goes.

Don't worry your not alone ... I have basic step lol and I can't get it either ... only did it once and didn't try it again:eek: glad I am not the only one lol

Try the moves without the step, when you master that, add the step.

This is what I was going to say. I used a folded up towel as my "step". It was the only way I could do it when I first started out. Once you get used to stepping then you can begin learning new routines on it immediately but at first it's much easier to NOT use it.

Thanks everyone, those are great suggestions and I will certainly give it a go again. When I can't do something, I try to master it that much harder just to prove to myself that I CAN even if it is not something I like doing. So, I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Try counting out the moves. Most of Cathe's choreography is done to an 8 count pattern. When I started counting the steps I could easily see where I was missing a move or adding an extra step that was throwing me off. I didn't find watching over and over to be helpful...I just keep trying to do the moves and keep the count in my head (or lots of times out loud, lol) and somehow I get it eventually.

I remember the first time I did Step Blast I couldn't get anything past the warmup. I was just lost...then I started counting and suddenly it all made sense. Good luck with it - it's definitely worth it to keep trying becuase it is so fun once you have it!

Try counting out the moves. Most of Cathe's choreography is done to an 8 count pattern. When I started counting the steps I could easily see where I was missing a move or adding an extra step that was throwing me off. I didn't find watching over and over to be helpful...I just keep trying to do the moves and keep the count in my head (or lots of times out loud, lol) and somehow I get it eventually.

I remember the first time I did Step Blast I couldn't get anything past the warmup. I was just lost...then I started counting and suddenly it all made sense. Good luck with it - it's definitely worth it to keep trying becuase it is so fun once you have it!

I never tried counting before but something made me try it recently and it did help me with a tricky move! I am going to have to remember to use it in the future b/c once I counted out the steps I was able to figure it out! Great advice!

I count, too!!:D That is the most helpful thing to me. It took me about 4 years of doing her step to figure that out. Just count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.
That keeps you going at the correct rhythm, and it also helps with any of her tricky choreography(and other complex step routines of other instructors).
Even if Cathe says it is a 6 count mambo, or 3 count something, count 8 instead, and you will end the series of moves correctly. When she counts 6 or 3 or some other number, and I do the same I get all mixed up!

That's the best advice!

I started out backwards! Followed Cathe & crew left for left, right for right for the first couple months...finally got going mirror style, 'cause what you do on one side....you do on the other.....:)

counting works great in fours or eights, don't worry about the arm movements until you get the major leg, step moves, repeat one combo at a time, until you start to get it, then move on (you'll still get a great workout)...if you stick with it....after a while you'll start remembering....don't give up...just keep on going!

It really just gets better & better...:D

Linda

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. It is so nice to know that I am not the only one having these issues. I will try all of your suggestions and I will get it........it may kill me, but I will conquer it :D

Yup, counting. when you get used to counting you actually begin to anticipate the next move automatically.

Also, almost all aerobic music has "phrasing" at 32 or 64 count, you can hear it in the music, there will be some kind of change - drumming, or something....and when you train yourself to listen for it, it becomes automatic.

This is why when an instructor is "off the beat" many people, myself included, absolutely cannot follow them. I have walked out of classes (not many because instructors who cannot follow a beat don't last long!) because the instructor is totally clueless about this.

When an instructor understands the phrasing and count, they are very easy to follow even when they use complex choreography (well, easy being a relative term...it's easier :p )

Listen to the music...

Also, sometimes Cathe will throw in something that is in a 3 count not a 4, so thats something to watch for, its that back ground she had in marching band (playing flute I think.) There is usually a 4 count pattern that has one move and then 3 moves that repeat (not just repeaters.) Don't be afraid to use the slow mo button on your remote. I just watch the DVD in the beginning and I never use risers the first time.

I started with Gin Miller and Kathy Smith. Gin's choreo is easier. But, then again the workouts are easier and I finally had to just step up my workouts (pardon the pun:p)

Also, sometimes Cathe will throw in something that is in a 3 count not a 4, so thats something to watch for, its that back ground she had in marching band (playing flute I think.) There is usually a 4 count pattern that has one move and then 3 moves that repeat (not just repeaters.) Don't be afraid to use the slow mo button on your remote. I just watch the DVD in the beginning and I never use risers the first time.

I started with Gin Miller and Kathy Smith. Gin's choreo is easier. But, then again the workouts are easier and I finally had to just step up my workouts (pardon the pun:p)
Well it's more than counting how many times you do a move, it's counting the beats. That's why feeling the phrasing is important. Almost everything will end up being finished after 32 or 64 counts or beats (or be continued to the next 32 counts....)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.