How cheap are YOU????

banslug

Cathlete
OK....I was laughing at myself today about just how cheap I really am (frugal, if you prefer a more politically-correct term)! Here's just a few examples of how cheap I am, although realize they all have added benefits to them:

[font color=red]I am so cheap that.....[/font]
1.....I tear a piece of gum in half to make the pack last twice as long.
2.....If we eat out (which is rare), I split something with older DS all the time (added benefit...we both save on calories).
3.....I refill all kinds of bottles like gatorade, snapple, etc, with water(added benefit...less waste in landfills).
4.....I use half as much detergent in the washing machine and the dish washer.
5.....I use half as much toothpaste too! lol
6.....My mom cuts my hair. Yes, she has a license but is not a 'practicing' salonist.
7.....I wash my car (although not that often) on the lawn near the garden so I can also water my dry patches and the run-off waters my veggie garden.
8.....I take hand-me-downs from my SO's ex wife! lol (mind you, not her clothes, but kids clothes and toys)

There are more....but you get the idea.

Gayle

Gayle -
None of that suggests your cheap - just smart. You actually only need to use half the amount of soap anyway - the detergents are mostly water. Same with toothpaste - think about how much your dentist uses when he polishes your teeth. Pea-sized amount is plenty. Everything else is recycling - which is smart and responsible. Nothing cheap about it!

that's cute.. I'm the opposite of you.. the wasteful one.

1. I usually eat pop 2 or 3 pieces of gum in my mouth and spit it out after 5 minutes.
2. When I eat out, I eat about 1/2 the food on my food. I don't take the rest home.
3. I dump vitaminwater (too much sugar) out of the bottle and refill it with water to carry water somewhere.
4. I use double the amount of detergent
5. triple the amount of toothpaste
6. i won't even tell you about my hair
7. i have someone come and get my car at work to wash and detail it.
8. i give away clothes with the tags on.

>OK....I was laughing at myself today about just how cheap I
>really am (frugal, if you prefer a more politically-correct
>term)! Here's just a few examples of how cheap I am, although
>realize they all have added benefits to them:
>
>[font color=red]I am so cheap that.....[/font]
>1.....I tear a piece of gum in half to make the pack last
>twice as long.
>2.....If we eat out (which is rare), I split something with
>older DS all the time (added benefit...we both save on
>calories).
>3.....I refill all kinds of bottles like gatorade, snapple,
>etc, with water(added benefit...less waste in landfills).
>4.....I use half as much detergent in the washing machine and
>the dish washer.
>5.....I use half as much toothpaste too! lol
>6.....My mom cuts my hair. Yes, she has a license but is not
>a 'practicing' salonist.
>7.....I wash my car (although not that often) on the lawn near
>the garden so I can also water my dry patches and the run-off
>waters my veggie garden.
>8.....I take hand-me-downs from my SO's ex wife! lol (mind
>you, not her clothes, but kids clothes and toys)
>
>There are more....but you get the idea.
>
>Gayle

I'm right there with you Gail, though I prefer to see myself as "cost-effective" rather than cheap or frugal. :D I buy tons of stuff via secondhand, freecycle, ebay, etc. I wash and reuse plastic bags, unless they have had meat in them. Same with tinfoil. I have a variation on your car washing - though I like the idea! - in that I collect all the water dregs from various water bottles (reusable! :D) around the house and water my potted plants with that. I've found recipes that call for coffee so that I don't have to throw out the leftovers from that mornings pot...you get the idea. :D

It's great though! And it all goes along with my beliefs about reusing things, anti-consumerism, that sort of thing.

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

>I buy
>tons of stuff via secondhand, freecycle, ebay, etc.

I have my older DD totally hooked on shopping at Goodwill...for us, it's like a big treasure hunt!

>that's cute.. I'm the opposite of you.. the wasteful one.
>
>1. I usually eat pop 2 or 3 pieces of gum in my mouth and spit
>it out after 5 minutes.
>2. When I eat out, I eat about 1/2 the food on my food. I
>don't take the rest home.
>3. I dump vitaminwater (too much sugar) out of the bottle and
>refill it with water to carry water somewhere.
>4. I use double the amount of detergent
>5. triple the amount of toothpaste
>6. i won't even tell you about my hair
>7. i have someone come and get my car at work to wash and
>detail it.
>8. i give away clothes with the tags on.
>
>
LOL! I knew we had more in common than just our screen names! :p I can especially relate to 4, 5, 6 & 8. :)

But I do other, weird, stuff to save money. I turn my shampoo/conditioner/lotion bottles over & keep them bottom up so I can squeeze every last drop out of them, to the extent that I stick my pinky finger in & try to get the residue when they're empty.

I save every sample face cream, soap, lotion, etc. in case I run out of my usual stuff. I have an entire drawer full.

I will not buy something online on sale if I think the shipping costs are too high, even if the shipping & sale price combined are less than the item's original price.

I save used tin foil & baggies & the like, I just wash them & re-use them.

I take almost nothing to the dry cleaners. I spend almost all day on Sunday hand washing & line drying most of my work clothes.

See, not really money saving stuff, just weird stuff that makes me FEEL like I'm saving money.

Those are GREAT savers! Not cheap!

Just be careful on the bottles you refill. Maybe you know this, but certain types of plastic bottles contain BPA and if reused can leach into your system:

(BPA) is a chemical that mimics the action of the human hormone estrogen, which alters our body’s natural pattern. BPA can leach from polycarbonate plastic, usually a hard, clear plastic that is common of many products we use everyday. Effects at even low BPA exposure include prostate cancer, breast cancer, early puberty onset, alterations in gender-specific behavior, decreased sperm count, affects on fertility, behavioral effects including hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, impaired learning and other changes in behavior, and other problems.

AVOID 3, 6 and 7's (labeled on the bottom of the plastics.)

here's a good guideline if you're interested...

http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083

~Chris

I'm not cheap--only because I'm too lazy. I don't want to search around for sale items or the cheapest things. I just want what I want when I want it. (I know, I'm a brat). But the one thing I'm totally psycho about is: electricity!

I unplug absolutely everything in my house if I'm not using it and all my lights are almost always off. The only thing I don't unplug is my fridge/freezer and washer/dryer. Every month is my own little competition to see how low I can get my electric bill. I once got it down to $27.00.:eek: Pretty good, I think.

I do wash and reuse ziploc bags and foil. My sister is a diehard environmentalist and I used to live with her so naturally some of her habits and beliefs rubbed off on me. ;) I also try and reuse water bottles as much as I can before I think they're getting too gross or unsafe to use.

I do however throw out massive amounts of food that goes stale/moldy/bad/etc. before I get the chance to eat it. That's my worst habit. I buy things and then they go bad. I also am impulsive when it comes to clothes shopping. I end up giving away tons of clothes (like Laura and Deana) that still have tags on them!! :eek::eek:

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

>I will not buy something online on sale if I think the
>shipping costs are too high, even if the shipping & sale price
>combined are less than the item's original price.

i do this too!.. I always look for the best deal including shipping. and I love a good bargain. I might not use the item or end up throwing it away, but you can bet I paid a good price for it! :)

OOoo I just thought of a good one- i use my tea bags over. ok, maybe i'm not so wasteful afterall

>Gayle -
>None of that suggests your cheap - just smart. You actually
>only need to use half the amount of soap anyway - the
>detergents are mostly water. Same with toothpaste - think
>about how much your dentist uses when he polishes your teeth.
>Pea-sized amount is plenty. Everything else is recycling -
>which is smart and responsible. Nothing cheap about it!

I agree!

You're conserving resources rather than wasting them, something more people should do.

I'm pretty cheap too. :)

My MIL is always giving me clothes, so I rarely buy my own and when I do, I go to Goodwill or Value Village.

My DDs get almost everything as hand-me-downs.

I still wear the same jammie bottoms I got 6+ years ago, they are totally faded and have a hole in the back seam :eek: but I am to cheap to buy new ones, since these still work and fit! :)

I use my leftovers about once a week for a "leftovers dinner"!

My DH jokes about how I can 'recycle' leftovers into other meals!!

I tear my fabric softner sheets in half to last longer.

To name a few :7

*waves hand* Any of you ladies who give away unworn clothes with the tags still on, I'm right here!!! ;-) Even gently worn is fine!

I'm very frugal with household stuff, but I admit that I will spoil DD and my SO. However (and my friends will attest to this) I HATE spending money on myself!! I bought myself some new tops today for the first time in eons because mine were all stained or looked awful. However, I got them all on sale at 50% off the lowest ticketed price. I looked at one I really liked, but it wasn't on sale and so I didn't buy it.:p

I'm with ya Gayle. I do what I can to get every last use out of everything I have.

* I hardly ever throw anything out - either I put it on a garage sale (if it is something useful) or I recycle it.
* Paper that is written on one side but blank on the other, I cut into 3 parts and use as scrap paper and leave it next to the phone.
* I have leftover dinner about once per week
* I get hand-me-downs from my nephew for my boys to wear.
* I bark at the men in my house constantly to turn off the lights! I swear they must all be afraid of the dark.
* I use the "reusable" checkout bags at the grocery store. I'm getting better at remembering to bring them now.
* I only go to town once a week or less and make a list of all the places I need to stop before I ever leave the house. Lists help tremendously!
* I don't do laundry unless I have a full load (which is generally NOT a problem)
* I run the dishwasher at night to help heat the house in the winter and cool it in the summer with all the windows open to dissapate the heat.
* I only run the air conditioner when absolutely necessary and only have one in the bedroom for sleeping.
* I generally only buy sale items on the grocery flier (except fruits and veges) and stock up when a good sale is on.

I'm sure there are several more I can't even think of right now. I love hearing others suggetions. Great thread!

I think my Mom has you all beat:

She washes the wax paper in cereal boxes and uses that as her wax paper, which she then rewashes and uses over and over again.

Same with baggies....

One car for DH and me

No cell phone

No cable, satellite, dish, or any other kind of TV you have to pay for

Libraries rather than bookstores

I've used the same Ziploc bag for my morning cereal during the workweek for about 3 months now.

Never eat out for breakfast or lunch during the week

A-Jock

Another good idea for saving money - and not adding to the landfills - is to use an alternative method of sanitary protection, as they say. Products like the Moon Cup, Diva Cup, Glad Rags and sea sponge tampons.

Check these out:

www.gladrags.com
www.keeper.com
www.jadeandpearl.com

My sis uses the Moon Cup and loves it. I've just started with the sea sponge and so far, so good. The sponges are sustainably harvested.

Sparrow

>Another good idea for saving money - and not adding to the
>landfills - is to use an alternative method of sanitary
>protection, as they say. Products like the Moon Cup, Diva Cup,
>Glad Rags and sea sponge tampons.
>
>Check these out:
>
>www.gladrags.com
>www.keeper.com
>www.jadeandpearl.com
>
>My sis uses the Moon Cup and loves it. I've just started with
>the sea sponge and so far, so good. The sponges are
>sustainably harvested.
>
>Sparrow
>
>
I keep meaning to get a 'keeper' thanks for the reminder!!

Please keep this thread going. I am LMAO and learning great tips at the same time.
Here are mine-
We live outside San Antonio-air conditioner turn off not an option. we keep it set at 79 degrees, and we shut all the vents in the non essential rooms. It really does help!
I save all twisty ties that come into this house(like froms kids toys, or bread etc) I use them on my vegetable plants to tie them up and keep them off the ground.
I always put water in my shampoo and conditioner bottle when there is just a washing or two left to make it last longer.
We don't use bar soap because I didn't like throwing away the little soap bit that no one would use but me.
My favorite-I never ever throw out a crayon. (I have 2 small kids). I melt them down into candles. Now granted they don't smell that good, but they are perfect for outside on the patio and they are cheap and easy to make and the kids love them.

> I've just started with
>the sea sponge and so far, so good.

I used to use those for a while back in the 70's. Have you sneezed yet while wearing one? They tend to leak then.

>We don't use bar soap because I didn't like throwing away the
>little soap bit that no one would use but me.

I put my bar soap in a special bag (one that has an exfoliating texture on one side, and a smoother texture on the other side) and it's possible to use it right down to the end that way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.