Hot momma and their babes 2/21-2/27

susan- looks so good. I think I might make it too, if i can get these kids to the grocery store. i LOVE Giada's food, so crisp and fresh in her flavors.

Hi
K has been asleep fro nearly 3 hours..I have gotten so much done!
Christine-I love Giada's food too! Im making a spinch bean dip of hers too.
Jen-hope your day is going well.
Mel-miss you girl!
Allison-wahts up with you today??
Its about time to go get Haley...bbs

Thanks for all those recipes Christine! I think I'm going to make the chicken patties tomorrow night.

Susan- I love it when James sleeps so I can get stuff done.

James took a nap tonight when I got him home so I was able to do the full bootcamp workout, eat and shower! And DH is working. There is hope!

buneknek- http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ This is a website I've used as a starting point but I haven't made any food yet. Hope that helps!

Off to play w James and hopefully get to bed. It's rainy and cold here. Blech!

This might sound stupid but how to make baby foods? I always buy gerber foods when my girls were little.

Sorry to jump in on your check-in....

NOT a stupid question at all!

I used the Beaba Babycook to make ALL of Julia's food. That thing is purely awesome! You can get it at williamssonoma.com. I want another baby just so I can use that little baby food-making wonder again! It makes making baby food so incredibly easy - my 5 & 7 yo's would make it too! It was kind of pricey I suppose but waaaaay cheaper in the long run than buying Gerber!

Just a quick hello to all you wonderful mommies!

My visit is going well. We leave to come back home early in AM. It took us about 14 hours to get here & my folks got about 6 inches of snow today, so it might be a little slower going home tomorrow.

I haven't gotten much sleep (and haven't been able to workout since Sunday)...but the time with family is priceless. I always joke that there will be time to sleep later,...when I'm in the nursing home.

My Dad is thin & weak...but looks better than I thought he would.

Alrighty then...will catch up in a couple of days!

Melanie, glad to hear your visit is/was wonderful! I'm sure your parents were over the moon to see both you and the boys, and to meet the girls :) Safe travels tomorrow.

Christine, thanks for the recipes! I jotted down several of the Cooking Light ones, so I can grab the books off the shelf. I think I'll make the Barley Pasta Salad tomorrow. Sounds like a nice side to go with some soup. Hope the house is feeling better!

Jen, I hear you on the stupid comments people make! Like you said, why is it "amazing" that you workout now but it didn't matter to anyone before? Why does it matter now?!?! Working out is my only "down time." It's the only thing I do just for me anymore. Yay on getting in the whole bootcamp workout :) Pumping is exhausting. I hated it. I never did it exclusively, but I did it with both kids. I was sooo happy to be done both times. Kudos to you for sticking to it for so long!

Susan, so glad you got a GREAT night's sleep! Hopefully Kara is feeling better today -- Drew was wiped out after his 4 month shots too.

Buneknek, I've been using Annabel Karmel's book 100 Top Baby Purees (I also have her "First Meals" book, which I really like). Her books include first purees as well as foods for older babies (with protein and pasta, for example). I've just been using a steamer basket on the stove and my Cuisinart. I use the water from the pot to thin the puree, so that I get some of the nutrients back. I picked up BPA-free ice cube trays with lids at Babies R Us (or get them through amazon.com, Fresh Baby food freezer trays). I make the puree, fill the trays, and freeze. Dump the frozen cubes into Ziploc bags and start again! I only bought 2 trays (so I could try them) so I haven't made big batches yet. I've got carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, apples, and pears (I never knew applesauce was so easy to make LOL).

We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow -- how do you like this forecast? 6" to 18". Um, thanks for that wide window *rolls eyes* Fortunately, it's been in the 40s this week, so a lot of the 45 inches we already got this month has melted!

Jen, thanks for the baby food website. It looks like a great resource.

Christine and Susan, forgot to mention...Giada has a new cookbook coming out (Giada at Home), based on her new series. It will be released on March 30 :)

Here's one of her recipes that we really enjoyed, from Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites. IInstead of 2 lbs of beef, I used 1 lb of beef and 12 to 15 oz diced mushrooms.

Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
from Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites

3 tablespoon olive oil (I used 1)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup Marsala wine
1 pound butternut squash, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 to 4 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
Crusty bread, for serving

In a large soup pot heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until the onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Toss the beef cubes in salt and pepper and flour. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot. Cook until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the Marsala wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the butternut squash and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Add enough beef broth to just cover the beef and squash. Bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread alongside.

Last edited:
Allison- That recipe sounds wonderful! Can't wait to hear how it turned out! Did you get your dumbbells yet from Cosco? Thanks for posting how easy it has been for you to make babyfood. When I get the green light from the pediatrician I want to make it too. I'll have more time to do it after I stop pumping. I'm happy that he has had BM for as long as he has. :)

Melanie- Hi Melanie! Glad to hear your visit has been wonderful. Be safe coming home!

Well better get some work done since I'm here early! I'll check back later!

Jen, I did get the weights from Costco! I *just* took them out, so I could do STS Disc 2 today. Sadly, Drew decided he only needed a 15 minute nap so I didn't even get the disc loaded. Grrrr...

The beef butternut stew is fantastic, and even better the next day, when the flavors have developed a bit more!

Wanted to clarify on the baby food -- I use a stainless steel steamer insert, set inside one of my stainless pots, not a bamboo steamer tray :)

Last edited:
HI Ladies
This is my first chance I have had to sit down.
Jen, Kate and Aliison, thanks so much for posting about making baby food. Im looking forward to it!
Jne-hope you are having an good day at work. Are you getting engorged from not pumping??
Allison-dont ya just HATE when naptime/working out doesnt cooperate!! Kara hasnt been taking long naps (expect for yesterday). She has been taking 3 or 4 30-45min naps. I just put her down so we'll see! Im making that recipe this weekend..sound delish!
Melanie-travel safe. Miss you!
Christine-hope the family is back up and running!
The stew I made last night is good. Having some for lunch as I type. Going out with dh and business people from Austrailia for dinner tonight..I think the new Hibachi Grill palce.
I did ME again this morning..love it! and of course for the last 15 Kara was watching! Ok..nap time is ticking..gotta get stuff done. bbl
Waves!

I forgot to share.... DH told me this AM that my butt looks good! :D I noticed that it looked pretty good from far away in the mirror too. Just don't get too close so you can't see the dimples/cottage cheese but I'm workin on that! ;)

Allison- I want to hear all about the weights...I have a Sam's membership but I might need to find someone with a Costco membership if you like them! I hope you get to eventually *start* the workout. ;)

Susan- ME is on the schedule for this weekend! I think B&G and ME are my two favorites! I did Bootcamp last night and it just wasn't challenging to me. Yum! I love food from Hibachi Grills!

Check back later!

I forgot to answer you Susan....I am still pumping. I just dropped one night session last night and I feel so free! :D I'm not sure exactly when I will stop but at least by March 10 when J will be 4 months.

Gotcha Jen---tappering off will help with discomfort too!
K has been sleeping an hour..got up to burp/puke a while ago but went right back to sleep.
back to folding clothes

typing one handed. kids still sick. i am improving though. bbl just wanted to say hi and tell jen she has a hot butt.:p

:eek: Aww shucks... LMAO! I have accepted that I will never have a six pack but a hot butt, now that I can have!

Christine- I hope the germania is over at your house! And the spicy chicken cakes recipe w that sauce rocked! I will definitely make those again but will double the recipe. :D

Hi Susan! Hope laundry is done!

Sleep tight all!

Another quick note, we're home safely. :)

I'm working double speed to unpack. MIGHT walk on elliptical. I really need to sweat.....but I have so much to do.....and a full day at work tomorrow. UGH!

I'll have to catch up with everyone this weekend. It looks like I missed alot. :eek:

Hi!
Back from Hibachi grill...was good..feel swollen from allthe salt. K slept nearly the entire time..so she'll be up late tonight.
Melanie=welcome home!!! Cant wait to hear all about it.
Gotta get H to bed and wacth Survivor that we recorded.
see u ladies in the morning!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.