Honeymoon ideas??

CLD

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I don't post very often, but I was hoping I could get some advice regarding my honeymoon. My wedding date is set for September 30, 2011, and that's right in the middle of hurricane season for the Caribbean. :( We had originally planned on going to Playa del Carmen or St Lucia or Antigua since neither of us has ever been on a tropical vacation before. Also, all these places offer the all-inclusive options with some really nice hotels. I've talked to my travel agent, but so far she hasn't come up with any ideas that I'm very crazy about (she's a wonderful travel agent but I haven't been very clear about what I want since I don't know what I want! :eek:). I just graduated from college, and while I have a very good, stable, full-time job already, I'm not totally crazy about blowing a ton of money on a European tour or something like that. I guess I'd have to say my budget is around $5,000.

Any thoughts? I love the idea of Costa Rica ever since I learned about the country in college, but my travel agent doesn't know of any all-inclusive resorts and on top of that, isn't very familiar with the area. Anyway, if someone would have the time to respond with an idea or two, I'd really appreciate. Thanks in advance!

where do live, choosing a place thats closer could save money or if you are near a really busy airport you could have lots of options. also,if you spend less on the travel you could have more money for a really nice hotel or shopping or whatever is more important to you.
what about a cruise? also have you thought about traveling somewhere sept is the 'off' season? could you tell us your interests? like an out doors hiking or more relaxing by the pool?
in the fall its a great time to see the fall foliage, tour wine country, stay in cozy bed and breakfast, very romantic if you are both into that stuff.
ask yourself what you would like to feel on honeymoon or any vacation. what do you picture you both doing. are you in the hotel room the whole week? getting massages, facials, what kind of food do you expect? planned activities or choose your own? if you want to do scuba/snorkeling you coulc do it in other places in the world, or some lakes. are you interested in doing something on a boat or canoe? there are lots of places to do those besides carabean. what do u think of waiting 2 months, then go to carabean if your heart is set on going there. or you could go there on vac. another time.
are you interested in visiting another country, or rather stay in u.s? u could even stay cation in a nearby city or state. pretend you are from out of town and get a really amazing resort/hotel.
do you want to do a special experience, or do you simply want to relax and enjoy privacy.
i never went on a honey moon, its interesting to dream about where i would go. i dream of hiking and canoeing. not so sure my better half would agree haha. i think he'd rather go on a tropical vacation in a hotel away from mosquitos. would be fun either way.

Go to a Bookstore and look up a guide on Costa Rica, you might be able to obtain information that way. If anything, you can get ideas and have your travel agent follow up for you. If your travel agent can get a great deal on airfare, Bali is also very beautiful, romantic, and the massages and relaxation treatments offered by the hotels are very inexpensive (even cheaper outside the hotels). Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon, best wishes!

I can't speak about Costa Rica, but if you are open to other destinations, I suggest checking out Santorini. I went there last summer (’09), and for me, it ranks as the most beautiful place I’ve ever been, hands down. I seriously did not want to leave. The Greek food and people were wonderful, the views were utterly breathtaking, and the beach was sooo relaxing...very clean and not too crowded. If it were my honeymoon, I would want to stay in the village of Oia, which is pricier than other parts of the island but without a doubt the most beautiful. The sunset there is magnificent.

Congrats & happy planning!

I went to Costa Rica last year and we LOVED the place we stayed. First keep in mind that the international airport is 3 hours from the beach. So you have to rent and drive (which a lot of people do) or take a puddle jumper (which we did).

We stayed at Buena Vista Villas - http://www.buenavistaluxuryvillas.com/index.php - it was about $600 for 4 nights but the villas were so awesome, the beach is lovely (although keep in mind it's the pacific not the caribbean) and we kayaked over to a little cove and went snorkeling. I really liked it and we go to a lot of beaches since we live in Mexico.

The food was good, there's a grocery store and restaurants within walking distance, we ordered awesome local pizza, everyone speaks perfect English, there's wi-fi, it's really nice.

There's also LOTS of other options in that area, which is a reserve called Manuel Antonio. You might google that and see what you see.

Congrats on your wedding! I hope you have a fun honeymoon and a wonderful life together!

Also wanted to mention that it is the rainy season for all of latin america, so it will rain in the afternoons even where there are no hurricanes. It should be winding down at the end of Sept, but plan to hit the beaches/do activities in the morning in case it rains you out in the afternoon.

My ex & I had planned our honeymoon at Jumby Bay, a small island right off Antigua, before he chickened out b/c of his fear of flying. But I'm still recommending it to people so I can live vicariously through everyone else. ;) The place is beautiful, private, all-inclusive & a short boat ride to the main island. When I looked at it 10 years ago, the price was unbelievably reasonable--about $3500 for a full week. I'm sure that's changed since, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.jumbybayresort.com/

Christy, when we got married, DH and I had NO money, so we saved for a year and took our "honeymoon" later. You could always go somewhere close and romantic for just a couple days as your honeymoon and take your Caribbean dream vacation in the depths of winter, when you will appreciate the warm weather more. I'll also put my 2 cents in for St John in the USVI. We go there every other year and love the beaches, the snorkeling and the peace and quiet.

where do live, choosing a place thats closer could save money or if you are near a really busy airport you could have lots of options. also,if you spend less on the travel you could have more money for a really nice hotel or shopping or whatever is more important to you.
what about a cruise? also have you thought about traveling somewhere sept is the 'off' season? could you tell us your interests? like an out doors hiking or more relaxing by the pool?
in the fall its a great time to see the fall foliage, tour wine country, stay in cozy bed and breakfast, very romantic if you are both into that stuff.
ask yourself what you would like to feel on honeymoon or any vacation. what do you picture you both doing. are you in the hotel room the whole week? getting massages, facials, what kind of food do you expect? planned activities or choose your own? if you want to do scuba/snorkeling you coulc do it in other places in the world, or some lakes. are you interested in doing something on a boat or canoe? there are lots of places to do those besides carabean. what do u think of waiting 2 months, then go to carabean if your heart is set on going there. or you could go there on vac. another time.
are you interested in visiting another country, or rather stay in u.s? u could even stay cation in a nearby city or state. pretend you are from out of town and get a really amazing resort/hotel.
do you want to do a special experience, or do you simply want to relax and enjoy privacy.
i never went on a honey moon, its interesting to dream about where i would go. i dream of hiking and canoeing. not so sure my better half would agree haha. i think he'd rather go on a tropical vacation in a hotel away from mosquitos. would be fun either way.

First, THANKS for all the wonderful responses everyone! I really appreciate the ideas! I'm going to look up every idea that you've mentioned!

Second, to answer your questions, I live in North Dakota. The summer weather here is wonderful, and we do have some beautiful areas around here. However, there's not a whole lot in ND, so I've been most of the close places. We have also tossed around the idea of waiting until the beginning of December to take our honeymoon, and our travel agent suggested it as well. We both know that's probably the logical approach to take, but I don't know how logical we feel like being! ;) We haven't been on a vacation for 5 of the 6 years we've been together, and it's actually the part we're looking forward to the most. Not to downplay our wedding - it just already feels like we're married. We've owned a house together since we were 20, and we've been engaged for over a year already (I guess we like to take our time).

We do enjoy camping and fishing and outdoor activities, but I think the primary thing we're going to want to do is relax. We'll probably want to do a couple of cool outdoorsy things (for example, we figured we'd hike to some ruins or go scuba diving), but I think the focus will be on relaxation. I'm an auditor so I typically work 45-50 hours a week May through December and 50 - 70 hours a week January through April due to the industry I'm in. My fiance typically works about 50 hours a week year round, and he has a lot of "extracurricular" activities, such as MMA and music.

I think we'd like to have a non-planned vacation where we can just decide spur of the moment what we'd like to do. Ideally, I'd like to leave the US for our honeymoon, but if we can't do it within our budget, we may have to consider other options. I've been to London, Paris, Munich, Verona, Venice, Barcelona, Madrid, Brandon (Canada), and just on the Mexican border between Arizona and the US. I've also been through Arizona, California, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Montana, but I haven't really traveled anywhere else in the US. I don't think we'd really be interested in a big City (NYC, LA, or Boston for example) just because we are definitely looking for a more romantic relaxed atmosphere.

Airfare is always going to cost more out of where I live, even if I just stay in the US, unless we go to Vegas, as someone mentioned. We'd definitely like to see Vegas, but I don't know if that's what we'd want to do this time. However, we can get really cheap flights out of Bismarck straight to Vegas!

Also, about the cruise idea, I'd definitely be interested, but my fiance is a little scared of being on a ship in the ocean, so I don't know if I'll be able to get him to go for that.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts! I'm so glad I decided to start looking early - I have so many ideas to explore! :)

maybe not for your honeymoon but, if you love the outdoors an Alaskan cruise is a great trip. We went on rock climbing, ice climbing and hiking excursions. They have countless other excursions for non-sports, but still outdoors. We all agreed it was the best vacation. you can also look into adventure travel companies for sports vacations at home and abroad, they are lots of fun!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.