HIIT/Tabata v. Steady State

syzygy314

Cathlete
HI Cathe!

I could sure use some encouragement here! :confused:

I started a rotation with bodyweight workouts ranging from 12 mins. to 30 mins. depending on whether it's a tabata or timed workout. These are all designed for higher intensity for optimal fat burning (or so they say). Everything I've read says that this is correct, the higher intensity for shorter durations allows you to burn fat more efficiently in less time and keep that fat burning mechanism going post-workout.

Well, I'm having trouble justifying my numbers! :(

IMAX2 in its entirety = approx. 600 cals. burned
16 min. tabata w/o done this morning = approx. 200 cals. burned

How can I keep my weight down with so few calories burned? Where is the benefit to a lower calorie burn, but higher intensity workout?

I'm currently alternating these with my training runs for a 10K. Even on my runs, my calorie burn isn't all that unless I do 6 or more miles and I can't do that every day!

My weight has crept up from 122 to 126. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks now and am determined to at least keep it going for a full 4 weeks. DH's birthday fell this past weekend, so that kind of got in the way of my clean eating, but I started a 10 week resolution (for lack of a better word) to keep clean until my birthday in October! I was going to go until after my race but that would mean no birthday cake! :( Can't have that! The race is on October 31st (birthday Oct. 22nd). You can see how that could be a problem.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I'm really needing a boost here! I love the workouts and the shorter length. I know I'll need to change this up later, but thought that these were supposed to be really good for me!

Thanks so much Cathe! :)

I got all excited! I thought YOU had an answer for me! LOL! I came "running" back to check! I think an article on just this subject is in order, don't you think?

Not Cathe (and I'm super eager to see her response to this, since I have the same exact question), but from what I understand, the reason that HIIT type workouts have an upper hand on the more traditional steady state workouts is that HIIT workouts are supposed to raise your metabolism for an extended period of time after the workout is over, so that overall, you burn more calories over the course of the entire day. Steady state workouts do burn more calories during the workout, but there's less of an afterburn effect, so you don't burn more calories over the course of the day.

Now I don't know how accurate that is, but that is the argument that I've heard. I have a hard time internalizing it and/or acting on it, since I look at the number of calories I burn on a 6 mile run, for example, and I gotta say, it's hard to convince myself that even though doing a 25 minute HIIT workout burns just 1/3 of those calories, the latter might actually cause me to burn more calories overall in the day. I guess I'm just so programmed to think of my calorie burn within my workout that I can't quite let go of that and "trust" that I'll burn more calories at rest after an HIIT workout.

Jennifer - That's just the thing I'm struggling with! I just need an educated voice to help me accept it and be comfortable with it. That's why I'm doing a test run! I may need more than 4 weeks!

I wore my heart rate monitor regularly for the past 10-11 months and after doing higher intensity workouts ( and regular steady state workouts) I would burn more calories throughout the day with the higher intensity ones, experimented a few times with that. From what I read, it takes longer to warm up for true HiiT, and longer to cool down, than for steady state. The overall effects of Hiit are not as long lasting as aerobic workouts. Meaning if you do Hiit you would need to continue that periodically to maintain the benefit. If you run regularly you're building up aerobic conditioning, and that is more long lasting. At least this is as far as I've gotten but would also like to know to. Prior to Hiit workouts, you should have a strong base level of aerobic conditioning. If you're running that much you have that.

There is efficiency you build running, so you may not burn as many calories as you once did. I think Cathe did have an article about Hiit in the blog.

Good question.
edited: found it http://cathe.com/high-intensity-interval-training

Linda

Last edited:
I have to admit that at the end of the day, I simply prefer the longer, steady-state cardio--in particular, running (all other forms of cardio, I'd gladly take the shorter version, ha! :p). Running is what I enjoy the most and boy, do I get endorphins after! So even though HIIT may be the better way for me to shed my extra body fat, I know I won't look forward to it as much and will probably give in to the first excuse I can find to skip it.

Running may not be as good as HIIT in burning fat, but I'm still burning tons of calories--and doing something is better than nothing, right?

Hi Tricia! I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and I know how that can dampen your spirit when you are not "feeling it" for your workouts or understanding the benefits from them. But hang in there. I'm currently finishing up my next article but I am going to make the one after that an article that addresses HIIT vs Steady State in greater detail for all of our Cathletes to understand better. For now I encourage you to do both types of training (no more than two hiits spaced through out the week along with 3 to 4 steady state workouts) to get the wonderful benefits each brings to the table. Btw, Jennifermaria tapped into this concept a bit here...thanks jenn....but I will go into much greater detail in the article. Hang in there :)

Not Cathe (and I'm super eager to see her response to this, since I have the same exact question), but from what I understand, the reason that HIIT type workouts have an upper hand on the more traditional steady state workouts is that HIIT workouts are supposed to raise your metabolism for an extended period of time after the workout is over, so that overall, you burn more calories over the course of the entire day. Steady state workouts do burn more calories during the workout, but there's less of an afterburn effect, so you don't burn more calories over the course of the day.

HI Cathe!

I could sure use some encouragement here! :confused:

I started a rotation with bodyweight workouts ranging from 12 mins. to 30 mins. depending on whether it's a tabata or timed workout. These are all designed for higher intensity for optimal fat burning (or so they say). Everything I've read says that this is correct, the higher intensity for shorter durations allows you to burn fat more efficiently in less time and keep that fat burning mechanism going post-workout.

Well, I'm having trouble justifying my numbers! :(

IMAX2 in its entirety = approx. 600 cals. burned
16 min. tabata w/o done this morning = approx. 200 cals. burned

How can I keep my weight down with so few calories burned? Where is the benefit to a lower calorie burn, but higher intensity workout?

I'm currently alternating these with my training runs for a 10K. Even on my runs, my calorie burn isn't all that unless I do 6 or more miles and I can't do that every day!

My weight has crept up from 122 to 126. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks now and am determined to at least keep it going for a full 4 weeks. DH's birthday fell this past weekend, so that kind of got in the way of my clean eating, but I started a 10 week resolution (for lack of a better word) to keep clean until my birthday in October! I was going to go until after my race but that would mean no birthday cake! :( Can't have that! The race is on October 31st (birthday Oct. 22nd). You can see how that could be a problem.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I'm really needing a boost here! I love the workouts and the shorter length. I know I'll need to change this up later, but thought that these were supposed to be really good for me!

Thanks so much Cathe! :)

Thanks Cathe!

It's funny, because I get the science behind it, but the numbers just "don't add up" for me and it's scary only burning 200-300 cals. a day in my workout as opposed to 500-600 or more if I run more than 6 miles!

Call it having issues with Monkey Mind! :eek: LOL!

I'll look forward to the article! I think I just need to give it more time!

BTW, how am I supposed to get 5-6 cardio workouts (if I do 2 HIIT/Tabatas and 3-4 SS) AND 2-4 days of weights (depending on which workout series I'm using at the time) in only 7 days AND a rest day? I'm not one of those who can fit 2 workouts per day in and I can't get up earlier than 5 a.m. or I wouldn't get any sleep!

Guess I"m asking for a little scheduling help here, too! :eek:

BTW, how am I supposed to get 5-6 cardio workouts (if I do 2 HIIT/Tabatas and 3-4 SS) AND 2-4 days of weights (depending on which workout series I'm using at the time) in only 7 days AND a rest day? I'm not one of those who can fit 2 workouts per day in and I can't get up earlier than 5 a.m. or I wouldn't get any sleep!

Hi Tricia! I bet the weight gain you are seeing is probably just water retention from changing up your routine. I'm glad you are enjoying Tabata/HIIT workouts. As soon as I finish this round of STS (couple more weeks) I am planning on alternating these style workouts with Ashtanga yoga. I usually don't do too much cardio, or I start to lose muscle, so I like to keep my cardio short and intense! ;)

Anyway, it sounds to me like you are trying to fit a lot into your week! What I would suggest is to alternate your steady state cardio (running) with your Tabata/ HIIT workouts (so you do 3 days of each per week) and then add a few weight lifting exercises on the days you do your HIIT workouts. If you are doing body weight exercises, you are already working your muscles, so you won't need to add much weight work. On the seventh day, take a rest day, stretch your muscles, or do something fun outside! You should be able to maintain what muscle you already have doing this. Then, after a month or two if you have adapted to this new routine, or if you want to build more muscle, shake things up with a round of STS. :)

Hi Syzygy! No worries about HAVING to get 5 to 6 cardios and weights 2 to 4 times per week. I always suggest a range because some people love cardio more than weight training and vice versa. The only thing you SHOULD have is a minimum of 3 cardio's per week for heart healthy benefits and 1 to 2 weight workouts per week that will (between the two workouts) hit every body part at least once. That will give you the bone/muscle health benefits. That's what I would refer to as your baseline fitness requirements. Making sure your baseline requirements are met weekly, you can be creative week to week...more of this, less of that, etc. This creative schedule would of course depend on your goals and what you are looking to accomplish. If someone is not sure of where to begin one of my common recommendations is:

Mon: Hiit and Gym Style (one of the upper body DVD;s)

Tues: Steady state cardio plus ab work of choice

Wed: Gym Style Legs OR Butts and Guts (optional: add 20 minute light run)

Thurs: Steady State Cardio plus ab work of choice

Fri: Hiit and Gym Style (the other upper body DVD)

Sat: Steady State cardio plus stretch workout of choice

Sun: Rest

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Cathe!

It's funny, because I get the science behind it, but the numbers just "don't add up" for me and it's scary only burning 200-300 cals. a day in my workout as opposed to 500-600 or more if I run more than 6 miles!

Call it having issues with Monkey Mind! :eek: LOL!

I'll look forward to the article! I think I just need to give it more time!

Thanks Cathe for the suggested rotation! I think I just have way too many options to choose from which is overwhelming because I love it all! LOL! I also never have a clue as to what to do for mixing and matching my workouts! The WB is going to be so helpful!

What I need to do is become a physicist and develop a method to defy the laws of physics so I can fit it all in and still have a full day for everything else!

Thank you again! You are the best!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.