Helping you understand STS

Victoria32,

I read your question and just wanted to tell you that there is not going to be any cardio filmed for this series. The cardio Cathe is referring to is what SNM is going to recommend we do along with STS. A lot of people have had a problem with this but personally I couldn't imagine a better system where we have weights and then we get to choose our own cario.
I just wanted to clarify that for you that this is strictly a weight series and all the cardio is going to be what you choose to do on your own and SNM is going to make suggestions as far as what types amount, intensity, frequency etc.

Hope that helps
nkuangel

Okay, this is what I thought you were doing and I'm glad. I would much prefer separate discs as opposed to all the mixes, layers, etc. As you stated, the "glitches" that result from trying to put too much stuff on a single disc IS "frustrating." Disc 1, then 2, then 3... excellent. I can't wait.

I KNOW I read (probably on the blog) that she was planning to do a cardio system, also but I can't tell you where I actually read this. I remember it wasn't mentioned WHEN this would happen so I'm guessing Cathe has enough on her plate right now with STS.

Hi Cathe!

Just wondering if you would recommend STS for someone who is 50 lbs overweight?? I have been doing you Muscle Max and Butts & Gutts, I completely overhauled my diet (eating CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN), and have been doing lots of cardio.

STS sounds like a phenomenal system! I would love to make the investment, however I want to be sure that it would further my weightloss efforts...you know the lean muscle mass burning more fat/calories.

I am looking forward to response!!

Thank you,
Sita

1 rep max questions

Will the 1 rep max be calculated at the start of each mesocycle or just at the start of the program? One would hope that are 1 rep max is increasing during the program.

Second, are we calculating the 1 rep max for every exercise?

Thanks,

Debra

RE: 1 rep max questions

I would suggest doing your 1RM test before you begin the entire series, not during it. You can always make adjustments at any time during the program if you find your weights are too light or too heavy. I would not retest until you’re about ready to perform STS for the second time.

Hi Cathe,

I'm on the fence about ordering the STS. Is it absolutely necessary to have a day off in between the workouts? I work out of town 3 days a week. I'm in healthcare & I work very long hours (14-15 hr night shifts). I do not have the time or energy to work out on those days nor do I have access to weights etc. when away from home.

Will this system still work for me if I do all the weight work in a 4 day period & do my cardio & rest days while away from home?

Thanks!

Yes, you could do STS within a 4 day period. Actually, the first two mesocycles could be done within a 3 day period. You just need 48 hours rest between muscle groups and that is not a problem because of how the workouts are designed and laid out.

Okay, thanks for the explanation Cathe! I have two questions:

1. Since there are 36 DVDs but each cycle has the same muscle groups each week. How will the DVDs be different? Are they simple the same exercises in different orders? I'm sorry if this has been explained already!

2. I understand the purpose of each cycle if you are new to weight lifting, but if you are a veteran, isn't the first cycle somewhat of a step down? Would it make more sense to skip that first cycle or use a higher percentage of your 1RM?

Thanks again! Looking forward to learning more and more about this series!

angie

Even if you’re an Olympic weightlifter, body builder, elite athlete or a person with little weight training experience you need to do Mesocycle #1. Just because Mesocycle #1 uses lighter weights does not mean it is an easy workout. With this cycle the weights may be lighter, but they will still be heavier than probably what 95% of exercisers normally use. The "rest" will also be shorter and that means these workouts have teeth!

But now let me tell you the real reasons why you should do the muscle endurance Mesocycle #1. Periodization is not a new theory; it has been used by strength coaches and personal trainers for years. There are countless studies showing that exercisers following a periodization workout will get better and faster results than those who don’t.

The biggest mistake most lifters make is always to do the same exercises lifting the same weights. If you want to be guaranteed to hit a plateau and to suffer burnout I know of no better way to accomplish this than to always lift the same weight and do the same exercises. Muscles need rest, they need to be worked to the max, they need to be worked for a long period of time, they need to be worked intensely for short durations, they need to be worked from different angles and most importantly they need to be confused! Periodization will do all of these and the results will be superior to any static heavy lifting program.

I have never met a strength coach that doesn’t use periodization for their athletes. It works for them and it will work for you. I know common sense tells you to lift as much weight as you can handle, but common sense in this case is wrong. By cycling the intensity in your workouts you will reach goals that you will probably never be able to achieve if you don’t cycle.

Hi Cathe,
I just have one question:
When you say at least a day off in between for example:

#2 Week ONE/Day Two is that resting for a specific body part (such as a day off for Chest, Shoulders & Biceps) or is it actually a day off (no weightlifting at all)?

We're just using that as an example. We would prefer you take a day off from weight training, but as long as you have 48 hours rest between workouts of the same muscle group you will be fine.

Hi Cathe,
Let me first start off by saying I absolutely LOVE you and your workouts!!! You are phenomenal!!

I have several concerns about purchasing these new DVDs. The first and most important one being is do you think this is something I am going to be able to do. I would have to say I think I am an intermediate level exerciser; however, when I do some of your workouts I feel like a beginner :-( . Looking at some of the rehearsal photos, I am concerned that these workouts will be too much for me. What do you think??

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.