help!

sjdavis

Cathlete
I am 5' 7.5" and have always weighed between 132-135. I am 44 now and my weight has crept up to 140. I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day and track that carefully ( I just can't keep to the 1200-1300, I'm starving all day). I have not changed anything, in fact in the last 5-6 months I have increased my exercise duration and intensity, along with adding weights. According to every calculator, that should give me about a pound of weight loss each week, but no luck. Any suggestions?

I can fit, but they are tighter than I like.

I forgot to mention that I work out nearly everyday anywhere from 35 - 80 minutes. Most days I do intense Cathe workouts for about 60 minutes.

I think you may be eating too little. With your exercise level you should probably consider 1800 calories per day a minimum. You said that you had not changed anything, but then you said you have increased the amount of exercise you are doing - this could actually be significant to your body and it may think you are trying to starve it. I am not sure if you have ever looked at nutrition plans that come with other intense exercise programs (for example BeachBody) but they all call for more food than what you are having now.

Maybe try increasing your calories by 100-200 per day and see if that changes anything? Also, make sure you are getting sufficient protein. There are lots of formulae out there for this, but a very rough one is 1/2 to 3/4 gram per pound of body weight, which would mean you would want to aim for 70-105 grams of protein per day. It may also be useful to try to get more of your carbohydrates from above-ground vegetables and a small amount of fruit, and less from grains & starchy vegetables. And make sure you are drinking enough water.

Not sure if you are familiar with this site, but I find a lot of wisdom here.
Coach Calorie - How to Lose Weight, Get Fit, and Change Your Life Forever

Stebby

I totally agree with Stebby. I'm similar to you ( age 44, 130-140lb, 5'9", workout lots) and I eat about 2500 cals to maintain. Below 2000 I lose, at 3000 I gain.
I do heavy weights - am quite 'athletic' build (ie boyish) - which I think helps. So up the weights and up the calories????
GOOD calories!
All the best
Justine

Hi Justine.... The body is an amazing thing and adapts to what its exposed to quite quickly. That's why I always say you have to shake up your workouts....but did you know you will also benefit from shaking up your dietary plan too. For instance, a person who wakes up around the same time everyday and eats the same breakfast, lunch and dinner at around the same time and eats the same exact quantity is at the same disadvantage as the person who never changes their exercise routine. The body gets used to the routine and the results slow down.

So lets make sure you are implementing the following changes in both areas to maximize your benefits:

Shock your exercise program:

Are you changing around your frequency? Meaning sometimes you workout 3 days a week, sometimes 5, sometimes 6 etc.

Are you changing around your exercise duration? Meaning some days you workout 20 minutes, some days 30 minutes, some days 60 minutes, some days your resting entirely.

Are you changing your exercise intensity? Meaning some days its HIIT training, or interval or tabata. Other days its moderate to high intensity. Other days its lower intensity.

Are you incorporating weight based and cardio based programs verses all just one or the other? Meaning some days all weights, no cardio and vice versa? Some days circuit training. Some days total body weights, some days split workouts.

The more fit you become, the more your body benefits from a different workout each time. Sometimes big changes, sometimes subtle changes...but ALWAYS a change of some kind.

Shocking your dietary plan...

Are you changing around the number of calories you eat, the types of foods you eat and when you eat them? If you eat the same exact type of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner, in the exact quantities, at the same time of day your body is not maximizing the value of your nutritional intake. Try being creative and have breakfast food at dinner time. Drink a protein shake right after your workout instead of waiting until your next meal to eat. Try eating 6 smaller meals one day and 4 slightly larger ones the next. Take in 300 more or less calories on a given day. Vary your healthy nutrients and try kale or bok choy instead of broccoli on a given day.

All of these types of changes will stimulate your metabolism and make hitting plateaus much more unlikely. Additionally, proper recovery time, ample water intake and 7 to 8 sound sleep are recommended to maximize your results too.

Good Luck

QUOTE=sjdavis;2227225]I am 5' 7.5" and have always weighed between 132-135. I am 44 now and my weight has crept up to 140. I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day and track that carefully ( I just can't keep to the 1200-1300, I'm starving all day). I have not changed anything, in fact in the last 5-6 months I have increased my exercise duration and intensity, along with adding weights. According to every calculator, that should give me about a pound of weight loss each week, but no luck. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Thanks all for your input. I too, have an "athletic" body type and can build muscle relatively quickly and easily. I am following most of the suggestions, and am a very clean eater. I do tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to food, same thing, same time each day. I think that my next strategy will be to shake it up a little.

Cathe, I have been an exerciser for 30 years and have used your aerobic videos for many, Only in the last few months have I added weights (haven't felt the need in my 20's an 30's due to my natural muscle tone). I am enjoying the change and the added strength. I feel like only people who love exercise as much as the people I've been reading on these forums can appreciate how much your videos positive attitude, and wisdom add to our lives. Thank you.

Happy Holidays.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.