Help with starting to workout again

ckanuckel

Cathlete
I’ve been out of the workout scene for about 3 yrs due to reasons I won’t bore you with. I of course have list ALL muscle tone and gained about 10 lbs which isn’t horrible I guess but for me it is cause I’m short plus I just very much dislike how I look and feel. I also turned 50 at the end of last year and I feel like all efforts to lose are Motivating myself to workout is a real issue too. I work 5 long days a week and I’m tired and have become lazy. I need help please if anyone has suggestions. I also don’t even know where to begin with a rotation
Thank you and sorry for rambling

Hi, I can relate ... it can be difficult to find the energy to work out after long days at work, and after a lapse. Hard to know what to recommend when not knowing your preferences and equipment. But .... I would suggest starting with going for walks, maybe on your lunch break. Or take a look at Jessica Smith's workouts- she has many free on YouTube, plus she has many downloads/dvds, including series you can purchase. She is professional, pleasant, encouraging and not as intense/difficult to start with as Cathe's workouts, & she offers rotations. Cathe has a beginner rotation and an intermediate rotation if you have her older dvds. Cathe also offers two intermediate series ... ICE & LITE - I highly recommend these as a start when you are ready to move on from Jessica, or now if you have been doing some fitness stuff. Keep coming back with questions or comments! Whoops. sorry ... not Cathe obviously... hope she'll respond.

I’ve been out of the workout scene for about 3 yrs due to reasons I won’t bore you with. I of course have list ALL muscle tone and gained about 10 lbs which isn’t horrible I guess but for me it is cause I’m short plus I just very much dislike how I look and feel. I also turned 50 at the end of last year and I feel like all efforts to lose are Motivating myself to workout is a real issue too. I work 5 long days a week and I’m tired and have become lazy. I need help please if anyone has suggestions. I also don’t even know where to begin with a rotation
Thank you and sorry for rambling
I just got back into working out after a 3 year hiatus for 'life' reasons so I know full well that tired and lazy feeling. I'm 54 yrs old so instead of striving to be 'perfect', I just want to be healthy. The one thing that I have found for me to stick to it is to adapt the attitude of 25-30 min's everyday is better than nothing. Never in this lifetime would I have imagined I could think this way! It has worked for me for 3 months now though and most days I do 30+ min's now. I also keep a log of the workouts I do(which did not work for me before). Another thing that's helped me tremendously is I'm an empty nester now so my time is mine. Cathe has a "Basic Step" workout that is great! I highly recommend that if you can. Since Cathe is the goddess of workouts(she's the best of all time) her workouts are challenging so I've had to bring other trainers into my library. I hope to get back to all Cathe at some point, but I'm not there yet. Sometimes I'll do a Cathe tape and allow myself to stop at 30 min's. Good luck to you.

I feel you. After 2 years of break, going to the gym was a real challenge for me. I was quickly tired and didn't get pleasure from training. Besides, there was a lot of stress from work, and in this situation, it's difficult to concentrate. Try to reduce stress to a minimum.

When I had to restart many years ago, I had to start with 10 minutes. Committing to more than that was overwhelming.
If daily walks aren't an option, then do Cathe's warmups. Just commit to something small everyday.

Before you know it you'll get to where you want to stretch it out past the 10 minutes. Set up healthy rewards when you meet a weekly or daily minutes done goal.

The one other thing I will mention is that no matter how long the break, I believe your body remembers and will respond. It will never be as hard as if you had never done a thing.

So give yourself some grace, and celebrate when you move daily and consistently. :)

When I had to restart many years ago, I had to start with 10 minutes. Committing to more than that was overwhelming.
If daily walks aren't an option, then do Cathe's warmups. Just commit to something small everyday.

Before you know it you'll get to where you want to stretch it out past the 10 minutes. Set up healthy rewards when you meet a weekly or daily minutes done goal.

The one other thing I will mention is that no matter how long the break, I believe your body remembers and will respond. It will never be as hard as if you had never done a thing.

So give yourself some grace, and celebrate when you move daily and consistently. :)

Well said, I am 66 and doing Lite/Ice rotation. It is truly the consistency that counts. With all the options with Cathe DVD’s, one could start with warm up and gradually increase as endurance builds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.