Help: smoky treadmill

Melclear

Cathlete
After the death of our old treadmill, we bought a used treadmill. I just got it home and it reeks of smoke! Apparently, the previous owners were smokers, and we didn't know that in advance. So now it's too late -- we own it. Does anyone know of sure-fire ways to get the smell out? I cleaned all the plastic parts, so they are ok, but the belt itself still smells, and no amount of regular cleanser, so far, has done it. I just sprayed it with Febreeze and am leaving it outside for now, but if the smell doesn't go away, we can't bring it into the house, let alone run on it.

Any ideas?

Okay, I'm not sure that this will work for your situation BUT!...When I had cats and they were peeing on everything, I was told to use either equal parts water and pine-sol OR (what I think works better) is equal parts water and vinegar...in a spray bottle.

And then wipe EVERYTHING you can! Both of those (vinegar I found better) are suppose to remove ANY odor...but then again. I could be wrong.

The vinegar CERTAINLY worked on the cat urine, hopefully on your smokey smell! good luck and I hope this helped!!:D:)

Yep - I agree with Alana - the only change I would make is to use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.

Even a small dish of apple cider vinegar in the room will help eliminate odors of all kinds.

Thanks everyone, I will definitely try a cider vinegar solution.

And the irony of smokers and a treadmill turns out to be really sad. The couple got rid of the treadmill because the wife has cancer and the husband has heart disease, so neither can use it. But hopefully we can get some good use out of it.

oh my god! That's really sad! :( Poor couple. Well, I mean, I guess they didn't take care of themselves and this is what happens but it's still sad.

On a lighter note, enjoy your new treadmill!!!:D

I agree with the cider vinegar/water solution. I would also make sure that after using that mix (on the belt) that you wipe it down with water/soap or water. I'm not inclined to think that leaving vinegar on belt would be so good for it. Good luck. I have a treadmill and I love it. I would be pretty upset if I was not able to use it!

any other suggestions?

Unfortunately, the vinegar solution didn't work, at least not well enough. It still reeks of smoke, to the point that it can't even be inside my house. Does anyone have any other suggestions? At this point, we are looking into replacing the belt (which is the stinkiest part, as far as I can tell). But that's not cheap, and we don't actually know how to do it. Are there any other options?

Wow! Really?! I can't believe it didn't work! Geez, what did the previous owners do?!...use the belt as an ashtray!? good grief! Well honey, sorry I'm out of ideas...maybe replacing the belt will work. So sorry it's giving you such a smelly problem! hmm...:confused:

Have you just tried googling "getting rid of cigarette smoke smells" or something along that? or even add in tredmill...something's gotta be there!

I don't blame you for being so adament on trying to get the smell out either! There's nothing worse than trying to exercise and smelling cigarettes! totally a burn!:confused:

Back to Fabreeze/ cider vinegar. What have you got to lose?

could you soak a towel with vinegar water, wring it out, and lay it on the belt. spray the belt with Fabreeze. leave it for a few hours or a day then rotate the belt to get the part underneath. change towels as needed. tip the treadmill onto its side and spray and scrub parts underneath. Smoke is awful but it would be disappointing to spend $$$ to replace the belt and have it still smell. Good luck.

Unfortunately, the vinegar solution didn't work, at least not well enough. It still reeks of smoke, to the point that it can't even be inside my house. Does anyone have any other suggestions? At this point, we are looking into replacing the belt (which is the stinkiest part, as far as I can tell). But that's not cheap, and we don't actually know how to do it. Are there any other options?
Do you have a portable air cleaner? Putting it near the treadmill might help (but then again, might not: I don't know if anything is powerful enough to 'suck' the smoke out of the belt).
Can you leave it out in the sun?

Any way of returning the treadmill and getting your money back? (If they give you a hard time, make a deal where they can keep $20 or something, for the 'trouble' --though most of the trouble, is yours).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.